Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacNotes.de publishes what it believes to be the rate plans for the iPhone in Germany based on multiple T-mobile sources.

iPhone M
49 EUR/month
Free data over EDGE
Free T-Mobile WiFi Hotspots
Free Voicemail
100 Minutes included (further minutes: 0.39 euros per minute)
40 SMS included (further SMS: 0.19 euros)

iPhone L
69 EUR/month
Free EDGE
Free Voicemail
200 Minutes included (further minutes: 0.39 euros per minute)
150 SMS included (further SMS: 0.19 euros each)

iPhone XL
89 EUR/month
Free data over EDGE
Free Voicemail
1000 Minutes included (further minutes: 0.39 euros per minute)
300 SMS included (further SMS: 0.19 euros each)

Translation provided by MacNotes.de. Of note, in Europe, minutes and messages listed only apply when making outgoing calls or outgoing SMS messages. Incoming calls and messages are not counted against you.

Apple and T-Mobile announced that T-Mobile would be the exclusive carrier of the Apple iPhone in Germany, slated to go on sale on November 9th.

Article Link

Twiztedklown316

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2004
Spokane, Wa
Wow $70 for the lowest plan, that sucks. Plus you only get 100min, and 40 sms. Not sure that its worth it to even own a cellphone in Europe if thats the going rate and/or typical plan.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
In practice is there that much of a shadting on data though?

100/40. Blimey that's poor.

200Mb a month is very low, but from what people have been saying they aren't that hard about chasing it up so probably not.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
what you have to pay for incoming calls, that is ridiculous.

well.....someone has to pay the increased cost of calling a mobile rather than a landline. in the uk, the person making the call pays that cost.

DrV

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Northern Europe
Pirces in Europe

Wow $70 for the lowest plan, that sucks. Plus you only get 100min, and 40 sms. Not sure that its worth it to even own a cellphone in Europe if thats the going rate and/or typical plan.

Don't know about Germany, but the rate a bit higher up is 0.08 €/min (USD 0.11 / min) and 0.08 € for a SMS without any plans (2 €/mo. basic fee).

Also, the news item seems to have mixed up euros and cents, as it states 0.39 cents per extra minute. I guess it should be 0.39 euros per extra minute, which is horrendously expensive.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I'm not from Germany nor have I ever been there, but these just seem expensive for not too much in return. Are these normal size plans for over there?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Wow... just wow... that's the most costly prices I've seen for mobile phones for years...

That SE K850i, with e.g. the Netcom's NOK99 (≈ €13) connect 'leisure', for free data (gprs, edge, utms and hsdpa) on evenings and weekends (the unlimited data plans are still a bit much here, but they are getting better, the regular Connect, 'always on', is NOK499 ≈ €65 for data traffic alone). Then combine that with one of their cheaper plans (e.g. 0 pr month and about €0.07 per minute and €0.08 per SMS).

Because there's no way that the iPhone plans will be (considerably) cheaper in Norway than in Germany, when and if the iPhone is ever released here... and although I have the money for buying the iPhone, I would like to be able to use it, within reason, too... ;)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
well.....someone has to pay the increased cost of calling a mobile rather than a landline. in the uk, the person making the call pays that cost.
Which makes more sense to me, rather than paying for a call you didn't ask to have made. On the other hand, in the US at least, there's no indication of what numbers are landlines and which are cellular. I know that at least in parts of Europe and Asia, mobiles have their own city code.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Of note, in Europe, minutes and messages listed only apply when making outgoing calls or outgoing SMS messages. Incoming calls and messages are not counted against you.

Don't tell me you Americans have to pay for incoming calls???!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
Don't know about Germany, but the rate a bit higher up is 0.08 €/min (USD 0.11 / min) and 0.08 € for a SMS without any plans (2 €/mo. basic fee).

Also, the news item seems to have mixed up euros and cents, as it states 0.39 cents per extra minute. I guess it should be 0.39 euros per extra minute, which is horrendously expensive.

Yes, it should be 39 cents not 0.39.
But 39 cents (Euro cents) is just ridiculous. I have a contract with O2 Germany without monthly fees and I pay 19cents per minute and 19 per SMS.
T-Mobile definitly wants push all of their customers towards the higher priced tariffs.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Which makes more sense to me, rather than paying for a call you didn't ask to have made. On the other hand, in the US at least, there's no indication of what numbers are landlines and which are cellular. I know that at least in parts of Europe and Asia, mobiles have their own city code.

In the UK mobiles begin 07...

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Wow. Suddenly, I feel good about the US's crappy cellular network. I mean, with T-Mobile I can get 1000 minutes for $50/month, with unlimited mobile-mobile calling and nights/weekends free. My AT&T bill isn't that much more. Incoming minutes be damned, I say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.