Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
and at the worst possible time too. I have 2 midterms tomorrow and a paper to write. I had about half the paper done and the thing just shut off. Needless to say i cracked the thing open and did some diagnostics on it and it is either the power supply and/or the logic board.

When i cracked it open i could not find any blown capacitors so hoping it is not the logic board. LED one lit up when plugged into power but i could not get the computer to start by pressing the internal power button. I took it to the apple store and they pretty much confirmed what had come to already.

I went ahead and gave the go ahead to replace the PSU but if he comes back and tells me the logic board is gone then i guess i will be getting a new Mac sooner then I want to. Usually i would be overjyed to be buying a new mac but well I frankly don't want one right now. None of the current offerings interest me all that much. I was hoping to wait until after Leopard came out and was refined. I was also waiting for the mythical 13.3 MBP so i could carry a smaller laptop around on campus.

Oh well, i ight force myself to use the windows PC i built for HTPC stuff until the end after MWSF...we will see

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Don't feel bad. My Powermac G4 died last week after 8 years. I got a new Mac Mini and I'm a lot happier now. :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
i think there is a good chance that it is the powersupply since a lot of the G5 iMacs have them go out. and if your iMac is less than 3 years old they extended the warrenty on the powersupplys for all of the G5s even without applecare.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
i think there is a good chance that it is the powersupply since a lot of the G5 iMacs have them go out. and if your iMac is less than 3 years old they extended the warrenty on the powersupplys for all of the G5s even without applecare.

That is good to hear. I did not get applecare on the desktop when i bought it like i did with the laptop. Stupid i realize but i was trying to save some money for college book and stuff.

Oh well, i talked with the parents and they said that if it is hosed (PSU and logic board) then i can get a new one and they will help cover the cost a little.

It would not have been so bad if i had not just sold my laptop to my sis when she started school.

I think i am probably just going to rough it out with the HTPC machine i built and deal with XP for a little while.

Whoshnot

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Brussel-Halle-Vilvoordeuh!
All of the G5's? Read again: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181
"The program is available for certain iMac G5 models that were sold between approximately September 2004 and June 2005 featuring 17- and 20-inch displays with 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5 processors"
I bought mine in August 2005 and it died after only two years due to a logic board failure so I had to buy a new one ... :(
Probably because the G5 is such a hot chip... Can't be healthy... I sometimes had CPU temps of over 70° C, with my new iMac I rarely go over 40° C.

So prostuff1, check the serial number of your iMac to see if you can apply for the repair program
... hope you have more luck than I did.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
...repair program...

The repair extension programme you mention is for the Rev A (1.6/1.8GHz) iMac G5 models. There's a separate one for power supply replacement for the 20" Rev B models but I've just looked at prostuff1's profile and he's listed his mac as a 17" Rev B. That's a real shame :(

Eddiestein

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Do you have a pen light? Shine it in the vent holes on the power supply. Look closely - if you see bulging capacitors, it's eligible under the repair extension (the "video and power" one).

My 20" iMac G5 is at the Apple Store right now for this issue. Capacitors inside the power supply were bulging and the machine was shutting off. They're putting a new power supply in for free under the repair extension.

My machine is also not eligible for the power supply extension, only the "video and power" one.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I don't have the mac right now. Took it in to the apple store so they could get it all fixed up , assuming it is the PSU and not a logic board.

I ill do some more digging but the people that mentioned the repair program and that stuff are right. my 17in iMac does not fit into that stuff.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
My imac G5 (no applecare) had a power supply and logic board go bad and an authorized apple service center replaced the parts and did the labor for free. On the invoice it said it was over $900!

Like others have said, if your machine's serial number qualifies, you will be treated like royalty; if not, f**k.

Good luck, my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.