Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
The .2 release of the Mozilla e-mail client is available for download.

It seems pretty nice (although it doesn't seem to have changed much from the mail client in netscape 4), but it's certainly no Mail.app replacement yet.

something that's left me scratching my head about the whole mozilla decentralization is the fact that these apps don't seem to be getting any smaller or faster (im talking about human performance, not rendering speed). i've tried the firebird nightlies and this latest thunderbird release, but i'm not impressed at all. firebird takes about as long to start up as mozilla does (about twice the startup time of camino, and 3-4 times that of safari) as does thunderbird, which takes about 8 times longer to load than Mail.app. but perhaps the greatest testament to the residual bloat is the size of these beasts, thunderbird alone is almost 33megs! for comparison, Mail.app is 2.8, or roughly one eleventh the size. i understand that the moz derivatives need lots of extra code to do all of their xul drawing and things like that, but how is it that these "smaller and more efficient" programs are just as slow and just as large as the origional?

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Because the mozilla project only just now went with the "smaller, discreet" apps rather than the "huge suite" philosophy they had left over from the days when mozilla was just netscape (and almost all the mozilla people are simply netscape people anyway.) Firebird, when it was phoenix, was getting smaller with every build as the phoenix coders stripped out mozilla trunk code that the stand-alone browser didn't need. I'm sure Thunderbird is going to follow a similar pattern.

Remember, Phoenix isn't much more than a year old, and thunderbird can't be more than 4 months or so as a stand-alone app. What you are getting now is the full-on Mozilla Mail, I'm sure the project is stripping out unneeded code daily. What you must understand about these projects is that they are not "ground-up" projects starting with a clean slate, they are instead starting with the monster mozilla codebase and stripping out the parts that aren't needed by standalone apps.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by panphage
Because the mozilla project only just now went with the "smaller, discreet" apps rather than the "huge suite" philosophy they had left over from the days when mozilla was just netscape (and almost all the mozilla people are simply netscape people anyway.) Firebird, when it was phoenix, was getting smaller with every build as the phoenix coders stripped out mozilla trunk code that the stand-alone browser didn't need. I'm sure Thunderbird is going to follow a similar pattern.

Remember, Phoenix isn't much more than a year old, and thunderbird can't be more than 4 months or so as a stand-alone app. What you are getting now is the full-on Mozilla Mail, I'm sure the project is stripping out unneeded code daily. What you must understand about these projects is that they are not "ground-up" projects starting with a clean slate, they are instead starting with the monster mozilla codebase and stripping out the parts that aren't needed by standalone apps.

Good point. Especially since the suite and the birds are building off the same tree right now. I imagine once the suite gets confined to some branch the code size will really go down in the other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.