Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:30 PM   #1
rayward
macrumors 65816

iPhone Getting Full of "Other" Stuff During Sync

Occasionally, when I sync, iTunes will start filling my iPhone with "Other" content which starts to force out photos and music. I have no idea what this "Other" content is, but it's not anything that I have chosen to sync. As it is an occasional issue, it's clearly a software issue. It started after the update to 1.1.1.

To fix it, I have to restore my iPhone, which is annoying.

Anyone have the same issue?
rayward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Deslock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayward View Post
Occasionally, when I sync, iTunes will start filling my iPhone with "Other" content which starts to force out photos and music. I have no idea what this "Other" content is, but it's not anything that I have chosen to sync. As it is an occasional issue, it's clearly a software issue. It started after the update to 1.1.1.

To fix it, I have to restore my iPhone, which is annoying.

Anyone have the same issue?
No problem like that here. Is your iPhone jailbroken? How large is your "Other" content? (for purposes of comparison, mine is ~37 MB)
Deslock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
isleofjib
macrumors regular

do you have the album artwork for your itunes collection? after i downloaded the artwork for the songs i have, i started to notice some "other stuff" during synch. but it doesn't wory too much cuz i still 3 gigs of space left.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:34 AM   #4
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
No problem like that here. Is your iPhone jailbroken? How large is your "Other" content? (for purposes of comparison, mine is ~37 MB)
Never hacked my phone. My "Other" content is 27.3MB, i.e. nothing. Randomly, though, the orange bar grows to 3 or 4 gig, and starts pushing out photos and audio content.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofjib View Post
do you have the album artwork for your itunes collection? after i downloaded the artwork for the songs i have, i started to notice some "other stuff" during synch. but it doesn't wory too much cuz i still 3 gigs of space left.
There's plenty of album art on there, but typically even with that included the "Other" content is <30meg. Randomly it grows to 3 or 4 gig.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Yreg
macrumors newbie

I know, that its too late, and reyward solved this ages ago, but ive got the same problem today and on whole internet i found just this tread. So for future generations

solution: delete>

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_control2

after that it worked.. at least to me.

Ive got fw2.0 iPhone 8GB, jailbroken with winpwn.

By the way mine "Other" raised to 7.2GB

Bye.
Yreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Other includes Ringtones and Album Art/Lyrics. I have had this happen when I loose my connection during sync, everthing is corrupted and I have to restore because all my music shows up under "other". It is a bit annoying, but if you are having this consistently, you may want to see if Apple can figure it out.

TEG
Old May 13, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
pliundemix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayward View Post
There's plenty of album art on there, but typically even with that included the "Other" content is <30meg. Randomly it grows to 3 or 4 gig.
Hey ray I know it's been a long time since this was posted but did you ever find a solution to deleting "Other" disk usage??

I followed this instructions posted here by memeber betyar:

"The absolute easiest way to do this is using iFuntastic's 'File Manager'... Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.

Hope that helps."

And I thought it worked because when I synced "Other" was gone and all the other things...music...apps..pictures...showed up with their correct disk usage...but when I went into my iPhone and tried playing a song it just kicked me back to the song list and all my music became unplayable...

PLease man I really need to solve this issue would really appreciate your help...

Thanks!!
pliundemix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting