Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Installer.app doesn't uninstall SummerBoard all the way... all it does is uninstall SMBPrefs.app. Lame.

1. Use FTPS to browse your iPod
1a. If you didn't use Installer.app to uninstall SummerBoard, Delete Applications/SMBPrefs.app
2. Delete Library>Frameworks>SummerBoard.framework
3. Delete System>Library>LaunchDaemons>com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
4. Open the disk image "rdisk0s1.dmg" that iPhuc created when you Jailbroke your iPod... I hope you saved it!
5. Navigate to System>Library>LaunchDaemons> and copy com.apple.SpringBoard.plist back into the LaunchDaemons folder on your iPod.
6. Get info on the new com.apple.SpringBoard.plist file in your FTP app (I use Transmit) and change the permissions to 755.
7. Restart your iPod

By the way, if you ever screw up your iPod, you can still log in via SSH or FTPS while it's stuck on the Apple logo.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Installer.app doesn't uninstall SummerBoard all the way... all it does is uninstall SMBPrefs.app. Lame.

1. Use FTPS to browse your iPod
1a. If you didn't use Installer.app to uninstall SummerBoard, Delete Applications/SMBPrefs.app
2. Delete Library>Frameworks>SummerBoard.framework
3. Delete System>Library>LaunchDaemons>com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
4. Open the disk image "rdisk0s1.dmg" that iPhuc created when you Jailbroke your iPod... I hope you saved it!
5. Navigate to System>Library>LaunchDaemons> and copy com.apple.SpringBoard.plist back into the LaunchDaemons folder on your iPod.
6. Get info on the new com.apple.SpringBoard.plist file in your FTP app (I use Transmit) and change the permissions to 755.
7. Restart your iPod

By the way, if you ever screw up your iPod, you can still log in via SSH or FTPS while it's stuck on the Apple logo.

You almost gave me a heart attack as I uninstalled Summerboard with Installer.app and then reinstalled it and saw this thread :eek: It's seemed to work fine for me though.. maybe I'm just lucky? Thinking about having to re-hack my iPod would make me go crazy.. I've done it like 4 times already which have made me get to sleep pretty late some nights.. Haha.
Anyways, did you do this and your iPod wouldn't work? or what happened?
It says that I have Summerboard 3.0a11 or w/e the version is installed but it doesn't look any different. Maybe that's why you can't install it with Installer.app? If all it did was update the SMBPrefs.app then I'll have to give it a go with your method. Please respond! :)
THanks

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
You almost gave me a heart attack as I uninstalled Summerboard with Installer.app and then reinstalled it and saw this thread :eek: It's seemed to work fine for me though.. maybe I'm just lucky? Thinking about having to re-hack my iPod would make me go crazy.. I've done it like 4 times already which have made me get to sleep pretty late some nights.. Haha.
Anyways, did you do this and your iPod wouldn't work? or what happened?
It says that I have Summerboard 3.0a11 or w/e the version is installed but it doesn't look any different. Maybe that's why you can't install it with Installer.app? If all it did was update the SMBPrefs.app then I'll have to give it a go with your method. Please respond! :)
THanks

You can install it fine with Installer.app and you can also uninstall it with Installer.app but, the warning I was giving was that when you uninstall it with Installer.app, it only uninstalls SMBPrefs and leaves the other files there... So it's not really uninstalled, you just don't have an App to set the preferences with. In other words, any preferences you set with SMBPrefs.app will still stick even after you uninstall it with Installer.app. The background will stay and everything else will stay the same because SummerBoard is still running... you would then only be missing the SMBPrefs.app to set the settings with. It will not brick your iPod or even make you restore it if you uninstall via Installer.app.

andrebr

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
You can install it fine with Installer.app and you can also uninstall it with Installer.app but, the warning I was giving was that when you uninstall it with Installer.app, it only uninstalls SMBPrefs and leaves the other files there... So it's not really uninstalled, you just don't have an App to set the preferences with. In other words, any preferences you set with SMBPrefs.app will still stick even after you uninstall it with Installer.app. The background will stay and everything else will stay the same because SummerBoard is still running... you would then only be missing the SMBPrefs.app to set the settings with. It will not brick your iPod or even make you restore it if you uninstall via Installer.app.

First, thank you for your help. But I couldn't open the disk image "rdisk0s1.dmg", do you mean a double click in the file?!

The next step is to copy the same file in the same folder? (com.apple.SpringBoard.plist):confused:

Sorry, my question can seems stupid but is my first time using this programs...

Thank you again!

skippy911

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
I unlocked my virgin 1.1.1 iphone and installed summerboard using installer.app I went to uninstall summerboard and it gave me a warning that 3rd party apps would not launch anymore if I uninstall summerboard! :eek: What can I do to get summerboard off the iphone and get back to the original springboard. I do not have a rdisk0s1.dmg that I know of because I used the jailbreakme.com method to unlock the phone. Also I am on windows not osx so I doubt I can even open a dmg file in windows. Please help :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.