Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1
harvdogg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Can you remove the Jailbreak?

I'm thinking about buying a Iphone but I'm worried that if I jailbreak it and Apple does a update will my phone get bricked? I want all the third party apps but don't want my phone bricked in the future!! Can someone help this soon to be Iphone owner?
harvdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:02 PM   #2
bushman1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I am sort of in the same problem I have a hacked iphone but there is no clear way remove the jail break. If you have one running at 1.1.1 out of the box then you can just restore and the hack goes away(I think). 1.0.2 you have to install SSH and mount it on you computer you then can remove all apps. so it doesn't look like it is hacked. Next take it to the apple store and have them restore it so if it bricks they don't know you hacked and you get a new iphone because they broke yours. Just make a story about how it isn't working and you computer won't recognize it so they need to restore. make sure to just leave it with them don't watch them do it because when you get it back you can say why can't I make calls? say they screwed it up then they will give you a new one. unbricking service is $100 from a different company.
(you cant just restore a 1.0.2 because it doesn't completely remove the hack so it still gets bricked)

p.s. I don't recommend hacking the apps. aren't that useful and the native apps. come out in February I say just stay at apples firmware. But if you need the apps. hack with caution.
__________________
15" mbp, 2.4 GHz, 4 gigs ram, 500 gig hdd, Iphone 3G 16gig.
bushman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

I think you're just confused on jailbreaking the iPhone as opposed to unlocking the iPhone. I've successfully jailbroken my iPhone after every firmware update, and a simple Restore from within iTunes removes all 3rd party apps and "restores" the iPhone back to factory specs for that particular firmware. You will have to wait for the iPhone to re-download all of the music, video, etc... that is normally synced from within iTunes, however, so that may take a few minutes.

While I can implicitly condone jailbreaking the iPhone, I do NOT, in any way shape or form, condone unlocking the iPhone. The reason is simple - Apple has partnered with AT&T to produce the iPhone, so it is within their purview to brick your iPhone if you deign to use it with another carrier. After all, in the US, you can ONLY use it with AT&T or T-Mobile, as they are the only two GPRS cell phone companies in the states - the others use CDMA, which is incompatible. In other words, even if you unlocked your iPhone, you can NOT use it with Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, etc... It can ONLY work with AT&T or T-Mobile, period.

Furthermore, because Apple is making their money by partnering with AT&T, and you HAVE to modify the modem baseband firmware to unlock the iPhone, it is fairly simple for Apple to tell that the iPhone has been modified. As it is in their interest to prevent such, it should not be surprising that they would go to any lengths to prevent unlocking, even so far as bricking unlocked iPhones.

As for 3rd party applications, Apple has already come out and said that while they don't officially support jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd party app installation, they basically don't care if the users install them, although future firmware updates may (read: probably will) break and/or wipe out the apps. That's the risk all of us hackers take - that the next update will render our hacks unusable or deleted.

In summary, as long as you're only installing 3rd party apps, go for it. You can very easily remove ALL traces of hacking by simply restoring the iPhone from within iTunes. I would NOT, however, do the downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 then back up to 1.1.1 (the iNdependence method), as it is unduly complicated, thus introducing, IMHO, too many points of failure. If you go to http://cashflowlogic.com/iPhoneJailBreak.html, you can download a simple app to jailbreak your iPhone and install 3rd party apps. As I mentioned before, you can simply Restore the iPhone to go back to 1.1.1 goodness, if you so desire.

HawaiiMacAddict
__________________
27" iMac , 17" MBP, 15" rMBP - OS X 10.8.4
64GB iPhone 5 - iOS 7B2
64GB iPad w/Retina Screen, 64GB iPad (original) iOS 6
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Bernie-Mac
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sin City, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Aloha everyone,

I think you're just confused on jailbreaking the iPhone as opposed to unlocking the iPhone. I've successfully jailbroken my iPhone after every firmware update, and a simple Restore from within iTunes removes all 3rd party apps and "restores" the iPhone back to factory specs for that particular firmware. You will have to wait for the iPhone to re-download all of the music, video, etc... that is normally synced from within iTunes, however, so that may take a few minutes.

While I can implicitly condone jailbreaking the iPhone, I do NOT, in any way shape or form, condone unlocking the iPhone. The reason is simple - Apple has partnered with AT&T to produce the iPhone, so it is within their purview to brick your iPhone if you deign to use it with another carrier. After all, in the US, you can ONLY use it with AT&T or T-Mobile, as they are the only two GPRS cell phone companies in the states - the others use CDMA, which is incompatible. In other words, even if you unlocked your iPhone, you can NOT use it with Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, etc... It can ONLY work with AT&T or T-Mobile, period.

Furthermore, because Apple is making their money by partnering with AT&T, and you HAVE to modify the modem baseband firmware to unlock the iPhone, it is fairly simple for Apple to tell that the iPhone has been modified. As it is in their interest to prevent such, it should not be surprising that they would go to any lengths to prevent unlocking, even so far as bricking unlocked iPhones.

As for 3rd party applications, Apple has already come out and said that while they don't officially support jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd party app installation, they basically don't care if the users install them, although future firmware updates may (read: probably will) break and/or wipe out the apps. That's the risk all of us hackers take - that the next update will render our hacks unusable or deleted.

In summary, as long as you're only installing 3rd party apps, go for it. You can very easily remove ALL traces of hacking by simply restoring the iPhone from within iTunes. I would NOT, however, do the downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 then back up to 1.1.1 (the iNdependence method), as it is unduly complicated, thus introducing, IMHO, too many points of failure. If you go to http://cashflowlogic.com/iPhoneJailBreak.html, you can download a simple app to jailbreak your iPhone and install 3rd party apps. As I mentioned before, you can simply Restore the iPhone to go back to 1.1.1 goodness, if you so desire.

HawaiiMacAddict
^ what he said, as long as you are just adding 3rd party apps, just restore b4 and update and you'll be fine
Bernie-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
hxe3333
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman1 View Post
(you cant just restore a 1.0.2 because it doesn't completely remove the hack so it still gets bricked)

I'm confused.
I have 1.0.2 hacked with AppTapp, and iTunes version still 7.3.2, so it never shows there is 1.1.1 when I connect the phone. I thought if I restore it on iTunes, I would have clean 1.0.2? Also, my understanding is that the phone doesn't brick even if you upgrade to 1.1.1 without cleaning up the hack on 1.0.2 (Different story if you "unlocked"). All the hacks (not unlocks), either 1.0.2 or 1.1.1, would be wiped once you do restore firmware on iTunes, am I right?

Could someone clarify? I'm planning to update to 1.1.1 with independence.
hxe3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Bernie-Mac
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sin City, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxe3333 View Post
I'm confused.
I have 1.0.2 hacked with AppTapp, and iTunes version still 7.3.2, so it never shows there is 1.1.1 when I connect the phone. I thought if I restore it on iTunes, I would have clean 1.0.2? Also, my understanding is that the phone doesn't brick even if you upgrade to 1.1.1 without cleaning up the hack on 1.0.2 (Different story if you "unlocked"). All the hacks (not unlocks), either 1.0.2 or 1.1.1, would be wiped once you do restore firmware on iTunes, am I right?

Could someone clarify? I'm planning to update to 1.1.1 with independence.
A) Even if a restore didnt completely remove the hack it wont get bricked because it not unlocking and jailbreaking doesnt damage the firmware or whatever like unlocking does, B) If you are still a little scared, when you restore just click set up as a new iphone and you'll be ok, C) i didnt know you can upgrade using independence but my best bet would be restore in itunes (when you click restore itunes should say its going to restore and install 1.1.1) and then use ijailbreak and you'll be good to go, as long as you have not unlocked your iphone (using a different carrier other that at&t) jailbreaking doesnt do anything a simple restore wont fix
Bernie-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:46 PM   #7
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On one of my Macs of course
Aloha Bernie-Mac and hxe3333,

If you notice, hxe3333 mentioned that he's on iTunes 7.3.2 (unless that's a type and he meant to type 7.4.2). If your iPhone is on firmware version 1.0.2 and you're running iTunes 7.4.2, you'll see the upgrade availability to 1.1.1 for the iPhone, but you must be running the latest version of iTunes.

Bernie-Mac, there is a very long, very complicated way to downgrade the firmware of the iPhone from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2, then back up to 1.1.1 after installing SSH and AppTap (once the app itself has been extracted from the dmg file), but it is overly complicated for practical use. I was thinking of going that route, but decided that I was a bit too lazy and just wanted to wait for an easier way

HawaiiMacAddict
__________________
27" iMac , 17" MBP, 15" rMBP - OS X 10.8.4
64GB iPhone 5 - iOS 7B2
64GB iPad w/Retina Screen, 64GB iPad (original) iOS 6
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:47 PM   #8
hxe3333
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thanks for reply. I have it clear now.

So now, my only problem is all I have are pbg4 and imac g5 (and 7100 if anyone knows ). I might have to wait if independence solution don't work for me. In the mean time, I requested this bryan guy a ppc version. Hope he's not tooo busy.
hxe3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:50 PM   #9
hxe3333
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Aloha Bernie-Mac and hxe3333,

If you notice, hxe3333 mentioned that he's on iTunes 7.3.2 (unless that's a type and he meant to type 7.4.2). If your iPhone is on firmware version 1.0.2 and you're running iTunes 7.4.2, you'll see the upgrade availability to 1.1.1 for the iPhone, but you must be running the latest version of iTunes.

Bernie-Mac, there is a very long, very complicated way to downgrade the firmware of the iPhone from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2, then back up to 1.1.1 after installing SSH and AppTap (once the app itself has been extracted from the dmg file), but it is overly complicated for practical use. I was thinking of going that route, but decided that I was a bit too lazy and just wanted to wait for an easier way

HawaiiMacAddict
Yes I have 7.3.2, so it never shows 1.1.1 update. Once I decide to go 1.1.1 on iPhone, I have to upgrade to iTunes 7.4.2, but till then, I thought I rather not get bother by iTunes saying I should upgrade.
hxe3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Cleverboy
macrumors 65816
 
Cleverboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvdogg View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Iphone but I'm worried that if I jailbreak it and Apple does a update will my phone get bricked? I want all the third party apps but don't want my phone bricked in the future!! Can someone help this soon to be Iphone owner?
Wait until February.

Yes, you'll have to deal with all the people getting excited over this or that app. Blog sites are reporting mostly because of the halo affect the iPhone is giving the 3rd party app topic. It's fun exciting news. --But wait for it. If you have a pristine iPhone with and can just wait a few months, you'll have all the apps you can shake a stick at. Why wait...? If for some reason, you're iPhone dies or bricks, and you have 3rd party apps installed by a jailbreak all over it... you're kind of screwed, unless you can manage to fix it yourself.

If you think that will never be a problem (you're iPhone is running super-fine, and your somewhat good with instructions and getting technical info on things like firmware downgrades and SSH/SFTP) then maybe you should go ahead and enjoy a few months of good times. Personally, I've decided I'll stick to being eligible for support for this first generation iPhone, and not being caught in the off situation where my phone won't work, and I can't seem to restore it before bringing into the shop.

~ CB
__________________
Contemplations - Never underestimate the power of a good idea!
FreeWho - Internet Domain Search tools!
Cleverboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Bernie-Mac
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sin City, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Aloha Bernie-Mac and hxe3333,

If you notice, hxe3333 mentioned that he's on iTunes 7.3.2 (unless that's a type and he meant to type 7.4.2). If your iPhone is on firmware version 1.0.2 and you're running iTunes 7.4.2, you'll see the upgrade availability to 1.1.1 for the iPhone, but you must be running the latest version of iTunes.
Oh i didnt notice that my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Bernie-Mac, there is a very long, very complicated way to downgrade the firmware of the iPhone from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2, then back up to 1.1.1 after installing SSH and AppTap (once the app itself has been extracted from the dmg file), but it is overly complicated for practical use. I was thinking of going that route, but decided that I was a bit too lazy and just wanted to wait for an easier way

HawaiiMacAddict
Yeah i saw that downgrade method and was like "eh...no" so i just waited and used the ijailbreak which worked like a charm
Bernie-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 07:56 AM   #12
harvdogg
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Thank you for all the useful info!!! I'm going to purchase my Iphone tomorrow!!! I think I'm going to see how long I can go with out the 3 party apps but for the most part I'm going to wait till Feb but the more I read about some of these 3 party apps the more I want to hack!
harvdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:56 AM   #13
mariobrowser621
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Well first you have to sync you ipod touch/iphone and then once its done then you restore it to the 3.0 but you need itunes 8.2 to restore to 3.0
mariobrowser621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:13 AM   #14
thefunkymunky
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London Baby!
WOW. What a way to resurrect an old thread.
thefunkymunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:14 AM   #15
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
ah the 1.x days lol
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Narco220
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
So if i use ultrasnow when its released to unlock the phone
i wont be able to restore the phone back to factory settings in dfu mode through itunes?
Narco220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkymunky View Post
WOW. What a way to resurrect an old thread.
Hey, at least they searched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narco220 View Post
So if i use ultrasnow when its released to unlock the phone
i wont be able to restore the phone back to factory settings in dfu mode through itunes?
Yes you will. Ultrasn0w is a software unlock that would be removed should you restore a normal Apple firmware
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #18
Narco220
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
Hey, at least they searched



Yes you will. Ultrasn0w is a software unlock that would be removed should you restore a normal Apple firmware
Ok so the baseband would be restored back along with the official 3.0 apple release?
Narco220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narco220 View Post
Ok so the baseband would be restored back along with the official 3.0 apple release?
Yes as I don't think it is actually modified, and if it were, an restore should overwrite it
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:53 PM   #20
Narco220
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
A) Even if a restore didnt completely remove the hack it wont get bricked because it not unlocking and jailbreaking doesnt damage the firmware or whatever like unlocking does, B) If you are still a little scared, when you restore just click set up as a new iphone and you'll be ok, C) i didnt know you can upgrade using independence but my best bet would be restore in itunes (when you click restore itunes should say its going to restore and install 1.1.1) and then use ijailbreak and you'll be good to go, as long as you have not unlocked your iphone (using a different carrier other that at&t) jailbreaking doesnt do anything a simple restore wont fix

So it doesn't damage the firmware then like bernie mac is saying in this post?

I thought ultrasnow modified the baseband which is a modification that can't be downgraded? only upgraded when apple release there next os update which then bricks the phone?

Hope im wrong
Narco220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:48 PM   #21
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narco220 View Post
So it doesn't damage the firmware then like bernie mac is saying in this post?

I thought ultrasnow modified the baseband which is a modification that can't be downgraded? only upgraded when apple release there next os update which then bricks the phone?

Hope im wrong
If you search the forums you will see that multiple people who have jailbroken and unlocked their phones who have then had problems that required a visit to Apple have done a simple restore and not had a problem.

His post was also from nearly 2 years ago with a different firmware.

The unlocking procedure, to my knowledge, does not make permanent changes to the baseband, hence why if you unlock, then restore a firmware, you need to re-install yellowsn0w/ultrasn0w to get it to unlock again
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Remove jailbreak manually? doritos Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 9 May 24, 2014 02:23 PM
iPhone: iphone4 remove simlock / jailbreak ? ilovecookies Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 May 6, 2014 10:01 PM
iPhone: syncing iphone - remove jailbreak? charlestx Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Aug 26, 2013 11:41 PM
iPhone: Remove cydia/jailbreak without updating iphone 5 jundy Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jun 7, 2013 05:52 PM
Apple TV: Jailbreak to Remove HDCP?? Fatalbert Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 20, 2013 12:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC