Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2001
Ambrosia Software, Inc. releases iToner 1.0.4, with iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility

ROCHESTER, New York -- October 19, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.4. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool offers improved support for iPhone OS 1.1.1, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

The iToner 1.0.4 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.4 features the following improvements and changes:

-- More robust iPhone OS 1.1.1 support to fix non-playing ringtones

-- Fixed a bug with the playlists being updated when a ringtone was added from iTunes

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Amborsia Software has released a maintenance release to its popular iToner software for syncing custom ringtones to a user's iPhone.

iToner 1.0.4 provides increased compatibility with iPhone OS 1.1.1 and reportedly fixes a minor bug found in iToner 1.0.3. Ambrosia had released iToner 1.0.3 earlier this week, which provided support for iPhone OS 1.1.1.

iToner 1.0.4 is a free update to all registered iToner users.

Article Link

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I never had any problems with 1.0.3 but 1.0.4 works fine too. I hope in 1.0.5 we get the ability to change text message tones, I think that and the ability to edit within iToner is all that is still needed. Either way, this is a great product.

moki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2001
I never had any problems with 1.0.3 but 1.0.4 works fine too. I hope in 1.0.5 we get the ability to change text message tones, I think that and the ability to edit within iToner is all that is still needed. Either way, this is a great product.

Right, we've just been kept rather busy keeping up with Apple's... uh... "changes" to make too many additions/improvements to the product.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Right, we've just been kept rather busy keeping up with Apple's... uh... "changes" to make too many additions/improvements to the product.

I completely understand. Hopefully they are done trying to mess with programs like iToner since it does not do any hacking. Keep up the good work.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I know that iToner claims that it doesn't do any hacking...
but how else can it get the ringtones on there?

I'm afraid to use it.

The thing about iToner is that YOU don't have to do any hacking (there is a free way to put ringtones on, if you hack the iPhone)

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I know that iToner claims that it doesn't do any hacking...but how else can it get the ringtones on there?

iToner places ringtones in your "Public/User" directory on the iPhone - the same place iTunes does. As well as the same place iTunes puts your music, your photos, your movies, your contacts, etc. etc.

It does not put any code into - or modify any code residing in - the "System/OS" area of the iPhone.

As such, it is perfectly safe to use.

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
Quality product

The original demo of i-toner was so good that I was about to buy it when it was disabled by 1.1.1. Now that they have a working product again, I went ahead and bought it. The interface couldn't be easier. Ambrosia has demonstrated that they are dedicated to providing quality support for the product, and I have no fears about i-phone updates causing damage to the phone on account of i-toner. This is a great product - I put on my own compositions, and recordings as alarm tones, and ringtones. I am a professional musician, so don't even start with the idea that I am breaking some kind of copyright law when I put my own stuff on the phone. Thanks Ambrosia for the great product.

GrimReefer

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Center of America
I had downloaded a trial version of itoner a day or two ago. The one (main) ringtone I wanted to use did not work. I saw tonight, a newer version, I downloaded, and it worked!

I'm going to shoot out the registration fee, these guys have spent enough time and effort so we can get our own tones on the phone. I think they at least deserve the small fee.

Sure beats having to buy a song from itunes that I already own on CD, then purchasing the ringtone. Heck, if you only add a few ringtones, you'll come out ahead, what, like 8 or 9 ringtones?

Great job to you folks at ambrosia (sp)! This is a great program and extremely easy to use.

BTW, latest version of itunes and iphone software. Works great so far with what I have chopped up from mp3's.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
You mean this app doesn't actually let you create the ringtones like iTunes does? It's just a way of getting them on the iPhone? That's a bit crap isn't it :rolleyes:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You mean this app doesn't actually let you create the ringtones like iTunes does? It's just a way of getting them on the iPhone? That's a bit crap isn't it :rolleyes:

Uh, you can crop in GarageBand, Audacity, QT Pro, even iTunes (kinda). If you even need to. I've added sound effects as well as full songs, but also just trimmed the beginning of a song with QT and dragged it in. Took me about a minute.

It's version 1 and does what it says without having to pay every time you create a ringtone, what more do you want? :rolleyes:

Deslock

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004
You guys rock!

Appreciate the fine work you guys are putting into iToner! Kudos to you for keeping up with Apple's "changes".

Having written that, I'm gonna followup on chr1s60's feature request: I also hope future versions of iToner allow for customized email and SMS message arrival sounds.

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
Pity money

We should all just give them the $15 for having to live in Rochester, NY. Spent 6 years getting a PHD there, and the sun almost NEVER shines...or maybe it just doesn't shine in the library:rolleyes:

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We should all just give them the $15 for having to live in Rochester, NY. Spent 6 years getting a PHD there, and the sun almost NEVER shines...or maybe it just doesn't shine in the library:rolleyes:

Lol, I spent 5 years there at R.I.T and when the snow came into town, damn did it snow. Those trips through Buffalo on I-90 back to Cleveland were treacherous. Not to mention the last time i took Amtrak we got stuck in the snow for about 8 hours outside of Buffalo.

I tried iToner last night on my freshly updated phone to 1.1.1 and all works fine. once Leopard arrives I'll decide if i will purchase.

moki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2001

hey now... the sun shines at least 3 times a year up here... I swear :)

moki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2001

iTunes allows you to crop a limited number of songs they make available via the iTunes Music store, and turn them into ringtones. The rub is that you have to have already purchased the song (for $.99 USD), and then it costs another $.99 USD to convert **some** songs to a ringtone (the majority of the songs on the ITMS cannot be turned into a ringtone).

iToner on the other hand allows you to take any MP3 or AAC file you have, and upload it as a ringtone. This means you are not restricted to using a portion of some of the songs the iTunes offers, but rather can use any audio file you have laying around.

Currently to crop the audio file, should you wish to, you do have to use another program (we suggest WireTap Studio, GarageBand(free), Audacity(free), iTunes(free), or QuickTime Pro). I expect that this will change in the future, and we'll have integrated cropping and transcoding of audio files.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I have GarageBand but never used it until just now. But I can't find anywhere where I can import a song into GB, it seems to be just about making music. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
I have GarageBand but never used it until just now. But I can't find anywhere where I can import a song into GB, it seems to be just about making music. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks.
I'm no expert @ Garage Band, but have used it to compose several Ringtones. I open Garage Band & iTunes then just drag the file from iTunes to Garage Band. There I select the portion to be used as a ringtone, crop it and convert it to an MP3 & export it to iTunes. From there I can load it through iToner, done. Several tones I use are only 1-2 seconds long & Garage Band has a minimum time of 10-12 seconds, if I remember correctly. To defeat this I may need to drag this "Short Tone" into Garage Band several times to meet the time slot.

momo411176

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007

To import a song into GarageBand, simply just drag it song into the software. Plain and easy, as it should be! :apple:

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
If you are unable to find, or create your own Ringtone files using iTunes, GarageBand or any number of the other apps. available it's quite possible iToner is not for you.:rolleyes:

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY

HEY! It's a beautiful day today here in Rochester! I live two blocks from Ambrosia... I even dropped off some Mountain Dew and a gift card to a fancy pizza place to help their efforts! Great job, Ambrosia!

---MacTodd

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I'm no expert @ Garage Band, but have used it to compose several Ringtones. I open Garage Band & iTunes then just drag the file from iTunes to Garage Band. There I select the portion to be used as a ringtone, crop it and convert it to an MP3 & export it to iTunes. From there I can load it through iToner, done. Several tones I use are only 1-2 seconds long & Garage Band has a minimum time of 10-12 seconds, if I remember correctly. To defeat this I may need to drag this "Short Tone" into Garage Band several times to meet the time slot.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate the answer. But...how do you crop? And I can't figure out how to convert. I can't find a selection for this.

EDIT: Okay, I made a ringtone, but I'm sure not as elegantly as you. Still couldn't figure out the above. Now I'm gonna be up all night making friggin ringtones outta everything. But really, thanks a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.