Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Take it for what its worth. But this all makes sense to me. The Biometrics thing is not very mac. But it's pretty common on top PC business laptops nowadays.

Heres the link:

http://macslice.com/2007/09/22/complete-macbook-line-to-be-redesigned/

I think alot of these options address alot of the hangups that Apple is having with Macbook and Macbook Pros.

I don't know about you, but a Black aluminum Macbook Pro would be pretty boss.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
the article is also about a month old. Considering it claims the announcement will come with the release of Leopard, you'd think that with less than 6 days to go, they'd have those promised "spy shots" by now.

And, Black aluminum SOUNDS nice in concept, but anodized paint on aluminum looks TERRIBLE after the exterior has had the slightest bit of wear. Look at any black MagLite that's gotten some use to see what I mean.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I'll admit, I think he was wrong about it being anounced when Leopard comes out. But besides the biometrics, I think all of this will come true by January.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'll admit, I think he was wrong about it being anounced when Leopard comes out. But besides the biometrics, I think all of this will come true by January.

I hope that some of those specs are true. Biometrics could be useful in a Pro setting, I have some files that I'd love to lock up even tighter than they are now, and being able to unlock my book from sleep with the swipe of a finger would be nice. I like the speed bump even more than anything, 2.4 --> 2.8 is a real upgrade! Not 2.33 --> 2.4 :mad:

I hope that Apple makes the 200GB hitachi standard, 160GB isn't enough, my apps take up about 100+ gigs alone. Blueray would be a nice BTO, I wouldn't get it though. What I'd love to see is another FW400 or 800 port instead of 3 USB ports and built-in broadband. Get rid of the latch locks on the screen and give me the magnetics from the MacBook. Enhance the bloody speakers and make the HDD user accessible and I would piss myself with joy just to get one.

p.s. Give me Kick BUTT battery life too. :D

nines

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
To let the cat out of the bag...

It's true that the MacBook will get a major revamp and necessarily along with this the MacBook Pro also so they won't become too 'similar'.

:apple: MacBook
- Magnesium Casing (slimmer)​
- 5 different colors (matching to the new iPods; the 'BlackBook' however will have a black apple logo)​
- 'Phosphorizing' effect on the TrackPad!​
- Santa Rosa platform​
- 13.3'' LED backlit glossy screen (1280x800 WXGA+)​
- 2.0GHz(T7300)/2.2GHz(T7500)​
- 2GB RAM (800MHz)/4GB RAM (800MHz)​
- 100GB/160GB HDD @ 5400rpm​
- Intel GMA X3100/nvidia GeForce 8400m GT 128MB GDDR3 VRAM​
- Apple Remote (new design)​
- Powerbrick (new design)​

:apple: MacBook Pro
- Aluminium Casings appear to have a slightly lighter color​
- Smoother edge on the front (wrists!)​
- 'Phosphorizing' effect on the TrackPad!​
- 2.4GHz(T7700)/2.6GHz(X7800)/2.8GHz(X7900)​
- 2GB RAM (800MHz)/4GB RAM (800MHz)​
- 160GB/250GB HDD @ 5400rpm/7200rpm​
- 15.4'': nvidia GeForce 8600m GT 256MB/512MB GDDR3 VRAM​
- 15.4'': 1680x1050 Pixel/1920x1200 Pixel (optional)​
- 17'': Hi-Res as standard 1920x1200 Pixel​
- 17'': nvidia GeForce 8700m GT 512MB GDDR3 VRAM​
- Apple Remote (new design)​
- Powerbrick (new design)​

Yep, yep. :rolleyes:

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I pretty much agree with you on all fronts. All of these features would be kick ass. Apple needs to remember: its the Macbook PRO. Pro's need to do alot of stuff the the public doesn't need to. I want to see a real difference between the two lines with this next refresh/redesign.

Its would make sense that something good is comming. Leopard is out now, and Apple needs something to wow at makworld. Everything else was been updated: mac mini, imac, ipods..etc.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
wait,

how do you know any of this? What does "'Phosphorizing' effect on the TrackPad!" mean?

If any of this will come true. I am SO, SO, SO glad i'm waiting. I'm salivating with anticipation.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I pretty much agree with you on all fronts. All of these features would be kick ass. Apple needs to remember: its the Macbook PRO. Pro's need to do alot of stuff the the public doesn't need to. I want to see a real difference between the two lines with this next refresh/redesign.

Its would make sense that something good is comming. Leopard is out now, and Apple needs something to wow at makworld. Everything else was been updated: mac mini, imac, ipods..etc.

I'd rather see the lines get smaller. :eek:

I would think Apple would get more MacBooks out there at cheaper prices if the MacBook had the BTO options that would put it right under the 15" low end MBP. The Dell 1330 is what people want in a MacBook (for whatever reason :confused: ) so making the 13.3" MacBook a small MBP would keep a lot of users over.

Nevermind... just give us a 13.3" MacBook Pro with an ultra thin case Apple.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I just think that Pro's need more options in the BTO dept and specs. I would also like apple to allow built in eSATA. Its the wave of the future. It's pretty much a standard on all external hard drive manufacturers. It would be nice to see in included with all of the above.

I'm not to much of a stickler on the design of the computer. Other than the obvious things that have to change: LED screens, keyboard, (but what was worng with the old ones?!) closing latch, and power supply. The apple remote is a good idea. It would be really class to get it in aluminium to match your macbook pro! Also, it'd be cool if it slipped into the express card slot to store it when you don't need it. Built in Broadband would be kick ass. But i'm not sure if that's even possible. Do the different broadband carriers use differnet hardware in their express cards?

I like all of this discussion. It's productive and its getting me excited for January!

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I strongly hope that the majority of the macbook pro's DONT get thinner. The thinner the macbook pro gets, the more problems we'll have with heat. Plus, parts will be really hard to come by after market because the drives and will be specially made to fit in such a small enclosure.

If you want a smaller laptop buy the rumored 13" that will probably come out soon.

I think that upgrades like the others mentioned here are likely and welcome for us professionals.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
"MacBook

Black & Silver aluminum
Slimmer and lighterthan current model
Keyboard that resembles Apple’s new desktop keyboards
New, larger trackpad with “unusual” features
Prices will be reduced to compete with the PC laptop market
Biometric fingerprint reader (May be part of the “unusual trackpad” or will be concealed in the aluminum chassis)
SuperDrive"

Sign me up for a Black Aluminum!

nines

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Eidorian said:
I'm only expecting a quiet update to Santa Rosa. If the 8400M shows up it'll be a miracle.

Mh... I'm pretty sure that if any videocard at all they will pop an 8400m GT in their consumer Notebooks. Of course an 8400m G or an 8400m GS would eat up a lot less power and run a lot more quiet and cool but these cards are bottlenecked by a 64-bit memory interface meaning they won't be any real advantage over an Intel GMA X3100. The 8400m GT is just perfect though. Makes Leopard run smoother along with bootcamped Vista and will supply enough juice so you can play your occasional Sims 2, World of Warcraft or Second Life game.

There is absolutely no doubt that the upcoming MacBooks will not only be faster then the new Dell M1330 but also prettier. That's how it works. :p

waywardsage said:
wait,

how do you know any of this? What does "'Phosphorizing' effect on the TrackPad!" mean?

If any of this will come true. I am SO, SO, SO glad i'm waiting. I'm salivating with anticipation.

A lot of rather 'reliable' sources mentioned 'something strange about the TrackPad'. The Touchscreen version of that rumor is very unlike and making it backlit as a whole won't fit the aesthetic standards of Apple. So I guess they will make it phosphorizing when you brush your fingers over it.

Another thing what won't be changed much in the MBPs is the keyboard. They'd have to redesign the whole cooling mechanism in the notebook. At the same time a lot of people who need a new 'pro' notebook and are into graphics will decide between a MBP or a ThinkPad T61/T61p and one major reason to go for the ThinkPad actually is it's keyboard!

flopticalcube said:
It'll be Q6600's next. ;)

In mid October there are two notebooks showing up with that processor regardless of it being a desktop CPU. Apple won't do that because of the simple reason that they would have to build a lot louder, heavier and thicker notebook with a batterylife of probably half an hour (office tasks).

However, some kind of desktop replacement big consumer notebook might be possible. That deal Apple made with EA is just screaming for a decent gaming machine and what would be cooler then a neat 17'' screen laptop with dual videocards and an Applelogo on the lid what actually changes it's colors while gaming! :D

(...kay, you won't be able to see the logo while you game but still *shrug*)

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
what would be cooler then a neat 17'' screen laptop with dual videocards and an Applelogo on the lid what actually changes it's colors while gaming! :D

Heh.. Apple will release the mid-range tower before that "gaming" laptop!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
In mid October there are two notebooks showing up with that processor regardless of it being a desktop CPU. Apple won't do that because of the simple reason that they would have to build a lot louder, heavier and thicker notebook with a batterylife of probably half an hour (office tasks).

However, some kind of desktop replacement big consumer notebook might be possible. That deal Apple made with EA is just screaming for a decent gaming machine and what would be cooler then a neat 17'' screen laptop with dual videocards and an Applelogo on the lid what actually changes it's colors while gaming! :D

(...kay, you won't be able to see the logo while you game but still *shrug*)

I was joking, hence the wink. It was in reference to people "putting" the X3500 into their laptop rumors. Apple will never put a desktop CPU on a laptop. They don't even put them in most of their desktops. :)

LOL! Most definitely...

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Thought 2.8GHz Won't Ship Until Around September 2008

2.4GHz(T7700)/2.6GHz(X7800)/2.8GHz(X7900)[/INDENT]
Intel's Roadmap says the 2.8GHz X7900 won't ship until the second half of 2008. Did that change recently? :eek:
It was in the iMac and then launched later in August 2007.
OK I see what mistake I made. I was thinking you were predicting a Penryn refresh not a last Merom XE refresh. I'm thinking of the 45nm 2.8GHz Penryn that is scheduled for last half of next year. I'm waiting for the first Penryn MacBook Pro @ 2.6GHz in the January-February time frame to be introduced by SteveNote January 15 in San Francisco.

Is this a different refresh coming now? I can see the MacBook last Merom in Santa Rosa refresh coming up soon but not the MacBook Pro without Penryn next.

nines

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
TantalizedMind said:

That's what I thought too before I saw this here and that.

Sure the response to this could be like that.

But then Dell came out recently with that mean M1730 featuring dual 8700m GT's and that 2.8GHz CPU... in a notebook. :eek:

Apple needs to take action soon, I guess. :rolleyes:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
No More Merom MBP Updates • Going 45nm Penryn In January

See my post #21 revision above. You guys are predicting a last 65nm Merom MBP that I think is NOT going to happen. I doubt Apple will put a boiling HOT 2.8GHz 65nm Merom in a mobile Mac this close to Penryn's Mobile release.

I see the next MBP refresh coming in the January 15 SteveNote to be the first 45nm Penryn MBP @ 2.4 & 2.6GHz -> 2.6 & 2.8GHz in September.

Attachments

• IntelMobilePenryn.jpg
    IntelMobilePenryn.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 396
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.