Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pieseller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
i just watched the leopard guided tour, it explained how you can take your existing e-mail account (say g-mail) and manage it from within mail in leopard.
is this correct- effectively shifting all of your e-mail account from g-mail and onto your mac?

does this work with hotmail?

im new to the mac scene so please forgive any rookie knowledge mistakes.

tjevans

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
I haven't seen the guided tour, so I don't know exactly what you're talking about. That being said, using your gmail example, you can access gmail from any mail client. I access mine through mail.app all the time. I don't know if there's something special about hotmail that would keep you from doing the same, but I see no reason why you can't.

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
In the video Johnny Appleseed entered his yahoo adress and password and everything else was configured for him. I already knew that gmail is no problem, but yahoo and hotmail pop access isn't free. Hotmail works in mail.app thanks to the httpmail plugin but yahoo is still a problem. Does anyone know if this is changed in Leopard, maybe because of them supporting yahoo on the iPhone?

ac-mac

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
England
You can use MacFreePops to download any mail from any client into mail.app, but if anyone knows a way to download mail from hotmail into mail.app and send from hotmail using mail.app, please do share.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
How will Mail work with a Gmail account that has alot of archived mail saved? i don't want to have all of my archived mail on the Mail app in Leopard.

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
You can use MacFreePops to download any mail from any client into mail.app, but if anyone knows a way to download mail from hotmail into mail.app and send from hotmail using mail.app, please do share.

Hotmail receive and send works for me with httpmail plugin for Mail. Macfreepops used to work for me with yahoo but eventually i started getting empty mails so now I'm back to the browser for yahoo. I'll try again after I install Leopard, only this time I won't let it delete mails it imports.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
How will Mail work with a Gmail account that has alot of archived mail saved? i don't want to have all of my archived mail on the Mail app in Leopard.

To get it to work, you first need to enable POP access in the Gmail settings panel. I believe that Mail will only download the mail in your inbox.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
To get it to work, you first need to enable POP access in the Gmail settings panel. I believe that Mail will only download the mail in your inbox.

That sounds easy enough. What would I do in the Mail app if I want to archive/save an email? On the web based gmail, I like to be able to archive certain emails.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I read that the hotmail plugin doesn't work for Leopard. If anyone tries it and has success/failure, can you please give a heads up? thanks!

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I can receive mails from yahoo and hotmail, but I can't send them. I installed Macfreepops, it receive hotmail but my yahoo mails were filled with everything but the content of the original message. Then after an update it still didn't work. The next update did it.

So receiving works but to send I'll have to use gmail or use the browser. Httpmail plugin solved that in Tiger for hotmail and yahoo, so we'll just have to wait.

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney

if gmail is used using pop access mail.app only downloads new emails coming through to your gmail account.

however, using imap mail.app downloads everything including your archives. this is by default. im not sure how configurable the pop/imap settings are within gmail/mail.app

yahoo mail can be downloaded (imap) and read but you gotta pay to enable smtp. this was the case when i last tried it anyway.

hotmail got no idea. haven't used hotmail in years.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Perhaps if more people posted here, there would be a fix....
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?story=20071026145029272

I have about 5 VERY old grandfathered Hotmails that are tied to Ebay/Paypal/Banks/Stock sites and one that's tied to friends that sometimes send junk, and a bazillion forums. :( It would be quite the undertaking to fix all this. It's just a bad time for me right now. I wonder how difficult it is to tweak this for Leopard. I can't imagine it would be a big deal but what do I know?

I'm going to give it a week and just go directly to hotmail (yuck!), then will bag it all and change.

What alternative is a good one? Gmail? That's all I can think of besides my alottment given by my ISP. I already signed up for Gmails for all my hotmails. Was actually pretty quick. Anyone have issues with Gmail?

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Mail.app's buttoons for tasks and to do lists as well as new messages seem to move around to different spots on the top of the window each time I open the program. This has happened on multiple machines with multiple forms of install.

Lh'owon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
New Zealand
Forgive my ignorance, but how does having gmail in Mail work with also accessing gmail online?

If you read/delete/organise your messages in Mail, then go to online gmail, will your changes be reflected there? Because I can't stand it when I end up with my email in two places, and they don't synch with each other.

Thanks

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Lh - yes, there's a setting to suck all the gmails out to Mail and leave gmail empty, etc. Lots of various settings. Very easy to set up, etc. IMO.
I just changed everything over to gmails so I can eliminate this hotmail nightmare.

Izzy - I'm now experiencing an oddity also. I only get the header of emails. To read them, I must click and open it. LOL I'm going to close it down and see if it fixes itself. Will inform Apple.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm having vast problems with my new gmail accounts. Two things, enabling popping setting doesn't stick well. I save it and save it and I'll still get the email stuck in gmail.

MOSTLY - this thing is marking 'everything' as spam. There is no way to change the spam filter level OR eliminate it entirely. I see no point to it if I have to constantly have to manual check the gmails. How is it possible gmail doesn't have the ability to turn off the filter?

(EDIT: And, it doesn't seem to learn. I check the emails and mark as 'not spam' and it keeps doing it over & over again. I've never experienced this non-learning mail thing in my life)

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
For Hotmail

(N.B. This only works if you have a hotmail plus account)

Quote taken from here

The story of POP continues like this… A few months ago some folks on the team hatched a plan to finally offer POP and starting this week Hotmail Plus users ($19.95 a year) will be able to use POP access from any device. In the interest of transparency though I want to be clear that we have plans to offer POP to all users (all premium and free) but we aren't ready to do that yet. I can't comment on a timeframe for when free users will get POP, but we hope to do so within the next 12 months.

If you do take advantage of this premium feature and sign up for Hotmail plus you'll also get an ad-free experience, more storage, larger attachment support, and a non expiring account.

Our POP service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your email address and password are not subject to tampering. The settings are the following:

POP: pop3.live.com (port 995)
SMTP: smtp.live.com (port 25)
Note: make sure you check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients this is not checked by default).
Username: your full email address
Password: your Windows Live ID password

aghasham

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Adding Hotmail to Mac Mail for Leopard:

when you go to preferences....and then add acount....you'll obviously notice that you manually have to put all the preferences in if you try and add a hotmail account....so here's what you do....

1: hit the "+" sign on the bottom left to add account:
2: the Account type is "POP"
Description: Hotmail
Email address: (fill it in)
Password: (fill it in)
3: Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com
Username: e-mail address (full)
Password: (fill it in)

It should take you to the next screen which will ask you...

4: Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.live.com:email address--fill in full address
Authentification should be password

For advanced Settings:

5: Port: 995
6: Check off SSL
7: Authentification: Password

That should do it!

vasoftball5

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
Organizing your Inbox

Does anyone know how to setup folders in your Mail Inbox?

Mail is working great with my gMail accounts. It was a little shaggy setting up the subsequent accounts - kept trying to connect using the first account settings. But all is well.

However, my Inbox is getting filled quickly. I want to organize my mails, but don't know how to get this done.

Please tell me Microsquish doesn't have "one-up" on Mac.

I sometimes miss my posts, so you can email me the answer at vasoftball5@gmail.com. Thanks.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
There's a little plus button on the left side, where, interestingly enough, your folders to sort to are located. To make your own, just click that plus button (you can also go to the Mailbox menu and select New Mailbox) and then name it whatever you like. Messages can be dragged directly to those, or you can then set up Rules in Mail Preferences to direct email to specific mailboxes directly.

jW

sharkluvr

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
adding hotmail/msn acct to mac mail

I've followed all the instructions (incoming mail server pop3.live.com and outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com:email address, authentification: password, port: 995, SSL checked) and all my mail comes in but I can't send mail or repond to mail. Am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.