Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Hey Everyone!

My name is Timothy W. Moore:apple:, and I'm a new member, but NOT new to this site. I bought a G4 MDD off of eBay, with no power supply, RAM, or HD,:eek: and I was wondering if it is safe to place an OLD G3 Yosemite or G4 (AGP or Quicksilver) power supply in a NEWER G4 Mirror Drive Door:confused:, because the wattage for the older power supplies are 400W, instead of 360W. Don't worry, I'll figure out how to mount one of the power supplies in that G4, if it is possible, or if i don't have an official power supply.:D

Here are some pictures of my current G4 SAWTOOTH! MY FAVORITE G4 TOWER..........SO FAR.

Power Macintosh G4 AGP Sawtooth Specs:

1GB SDRAM
450MHz G4 7400
32x CD-ROM, 5x DVD-ROM Drive
Zip Drive
230GB Internal Hard Disk Space
32MB ATi Radeon 7200
OS X.4.10

Attachments

• PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT0069.JPG
    PICT0069.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PICT0071.JPG
    PICT0071.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 56
  • PICT0078.JPG
    PICT0078.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 48

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
There's an additional 4-pin power cable as well in later models.

You can probably hack one of the current cables to be a substitute though.

Oh, because I thought you would say:

"Because It's too powerful for the newer logic boards to handle, and the computer might turn on, but wouldn't make a startup-chime, and the monitor will display nothing."

Speaking of Startup-Chime, do you wonder whatever happened to the DEATH-CHIME after 1997? Do you think that Apple stopped becuse they might have noticed that it was scaring people LIKE ME!?!?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Speaking of Startup-Chime, do you wonder whatever happened to the DEATH-CHIME after 1997? Do you think that Apple stopped becuse they might have noticed that it was scaring people LIKE ME!?!?
I have no idea why they got rid of it.

You can relive those days using MacTracker though.

My brother called me a few days after he got his iMac telling me it kept making a terrible noise each time he turned it on. He wanted to know if it was broken or not. :rolleyes:

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I have no idea why they got rid of it.

You can relive those days using MacTracker though.

My brother called me a few days after he got his iMac telling me it kept making a terrible noise each time he turned it on. He wanted to know if it was broken or not. :rolleyes:

He either has a RAM or HD Hardware problem, because my oldest brother had the SAME problem with his iMac DV Graphite for WEEKS, two years ago. Eventually, he got it fixed through Open Firmware or re-installing OS X (back when Panther was the greatest). Does your bro's computer make a "BOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Sound?

I've used MacTracker since 2005, and been checking for updates weekly ever since I had it. I used to annoy my brothers with this application!:D

OH YEAH, THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.