Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
It struck me the other day that the names of all the OSX versions so far seem to be names of German Tanks. :confused:

Um, Germans named their tanks after large cats. Apple named their OS'es after large cats. And you are now surprised that they have similar names?

OK....

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Um, Germans named their tanks after large cats. Apple named their OS'es after large cats. And you are now surprised that they have similar names?

OK....
I am more surprised that the only two things I can think of that are named after large cats are OSX and german tanks.
Considering the connotation of "german tanks" I am a bit surprised Apple chose to go that way.
A bit like naming your kid Adolf, isnt it?

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I am more surprised that the only two things I can think of that are named after large cats are OSX and german tanks.

Helicopters:

Eurocopter Tiger
Eurocopter Puma
Eurocopter Cougar
Eurocopter Super Puma

Aircraft:

F-9F Panther
F-11 Tiger
F-9 Cougar

Considering the connotation of "german tanks" I am a bit surprised Apple chose to go that way.

So naming things after large cats is verboten (pun intended) since Germans used (and continue to use, Leopard is a modern tank that has nothing to do with Nazi Germany) similar naming-scheme for their tanks?

Um, no? And what's wrong with "Adolf"? There are plenty of people with name "Adolf".

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Helicopters:

Eurocopter Tiger
Eurocopter Puma
Eurocopter Cougar
Eurocopter Super Puma

Aircraft:

F-9F Panther
F-11 Tiger
F-9 Cougar
Well, neither the Eurocopter nor the Aircrafts you mention has a one to one correspondence as far as I know.

So naming things after large cats is verboten (pun intended) since Germans used (and continue to use, Leopard is a modern tank that has nothing to do with Nazi Germany) similar naming-scheme for their tanks?
Companies are normally very sensitive about naming their products after something that might give "bad" associations.
Um, no? And what's wrong with "Adolf"? There are plenty of people with name "Adolf".
I am sure there are still children named Adolf today. However, I do think that most parents think twice about naming their son to Adolf, no matter how pretty they find the name.
Just as you don't see the indian swastika much these days.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Brilliant! Never seen it before.
Could it be that someone at Apple has a serious tank fetish? :rolleyes:

I don't see how. Yes they used a tank in one ad. Yes they used similar naming-scheme as Germans use for tanks. No, that doesn't prove anything.

Besides, Germans used and use other names than big cats. They also have and have had tanks and other vehicles with names like

Maus
Brummbär
Nashorn
Wespe
Marder
Elephant

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Well, neither the Eurocopter nor the Aircrafts you mention has a one to one correspondence as far as I know.

But they still share a theme surrounding their names, as did the tanks and OS X-releases. It's not uncommon to have a theme when it comes to naming products.

Companies are normally very sensitive about naming their products after something that might give "bad" associations.

Maybe we should just rename all those big cats because their names have been tainted by the nazis :rolleyes:. I suggest that the new name of "tiger" could be "gyl". Watch out for man-eating gyls!

I am sure there are still children named Adolf today. However, I do think that most parents think twice about naming their son to Adolf, no matter how pretty they find the name.

Or maybe not. Hell, there are still plenty of children being baptized Heinrich, even though we had Himmler. Albert, even though we had Speer. Joseph even though we had Mengele and Stalin, Hermann, even though we had Göring, Benito, even though we had Mussolini.... Why should Adolf be one bit different?

Serously: I don't understand why you try to see a connection between two things, when in reality there is no connection. Yes, they both selected a similar theme for naming their "products", but that does not imply connection between the two. It's not like big cats are unusual or something.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
I don't see how. Yes they used a tank in one ad. Yes they used similar naming-scheme as Germans use for tanks. No, that doesn't prove anything.

Besides, Germans used and use other names than big cats. They also have and have had tanks and other vehicles with names like

Maus
Brummbär
Nashorn
Wespe
Marder
Elephant
Prove?
I wasn't trying to prove anything, so please calm down.
It was just a funny observation, that is all. I fear you take this far too serious.
You must admit that Apples naming-scheme resembles that of german tank manufacturers, right?
I thought that was funny, but apparently you didn't.
No big deal, life goes on. :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

That's a bit odd...
Why associate German tanks nowadays with some figure from the past.

I think Apple could care less if German tanks have similar names. Like Apple could care less that BMW used to make Luftwaffe aircraft engines in WW II but now have the iPod deal... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.