Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
so I'm buying Leopard on Friday and am going to install it. However I was advised against doing so by my IT department at school because our exam software may not be compatible. My question is what are my options( besides not installing) I know I can just reinstall tiger before exam time. But if I have a bootable backup on an external can I some how just restore that onto my laptop before exams so I'm back to tiger? If so how so I do that. Any advice would be great. Thanks

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Exam software is generally very picky. I would follow the advise of the IT department in this case as you need to have it working.

As to the issues of cloning there are several free apps out there that do that, such as carbon copy cloner and Superduper.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I already have a clone but how is that restored?

Also, is it possible to have a tiger install on a partition and just boot into that at exam time?

I really want to play with Leopard and will just reinstall tiger if i have to. It will be worth the two months i have with Leopard. I'm just looking for the easiest and safest way to go about it all.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I already have a clone but how is that restored?

Also, is it possible to have a tiger install on a partition and just boot into that at exam time?

I really want to play with Leopard and will just reinstall tiger if i have to. It will be worth the two months i have with Leopard. I'm just looking for the easiest and safest way to go about it all.

How did you clone it? Basically you do the clone process again this time you select the external drive as the source and the internal as the destination. You can't be booted from the destination when doing this. I believe it is possible to have a partition with Leopard on it and then selectively boot Tiger from the other partition.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Or install leopard to a firewire or usb external to fiddle with it.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Or install leopard to a firewire or usb external to fiddle with it.

Doesn't it run much slower off of firewire?

This is what I think I'm going to do:

1. clone of Tiger on external
2. Clean install of Leopard on MBP
3. clone of Leopard install on another external
4. Put the Tiger clone on the MBP when I have to take finals.

OR

1. Put a partition with Tiger on it.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Doesn't it run much slower off of firewire?

This is what I think I'm going to do:

1. clone of Tiger on external
2. Clean install of Leopard on MBP
3. clone of Leopard install on another external
4. Put the Tiger clone on the MBP when I have to take finals.

OR

1. Put a partition with Tiger on it.

you dont have to install leopard on your main hard drive and then clone it to the external. just install it to the external.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I know but won't it wrong much slower off the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.