Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarsianMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
So I saw a post on here mentioning something about AppleCare and eBay, so I decided to take a look and saw a half dozen items listed cheaper than I could get via Apple education discount. My question is are these legit? How do you go about notifying Apple about the warranty? I haven't ever had experience with buying an Apple machine (planning to buy a MBP either after Leopard or (less likely) after January refresh) so I don't know how it works. I do know that something like this would never work on other major manufacturers like Dell, HP, etc.

Anyone here have experience with this? If so, what was your experience like?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I just bought one. 109! Seller has 99.9% Positive with lots of recent AppleCare sales.

Worst case I tell my Visa to fix it if it's no good.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Just treat it like any other transaction on eBay. Make sure to buy from a reputable seller and you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't accept a cheque from Nigerian royalty needing some change for a yacht - you should be fine. :)

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I bought mine on eBay and it activated fine, without any problems. I'd say go for it and save some $$. I think I got mine for about $160 shipped

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
you can apply applecare within the one year as long as your current warranty isn't expired right?

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
I also got my AC through eBay. As of now, my new iMac is good through 2010.

Just like others said, check sellers feedback.

And to answer the question above, that is correct but I suggest that you go directly to apple website and check with your serial number to verify your existing warranty.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I would pay with PayPal if I bought it on eBay.

But yea if you can save some cash go for it! Just check their feedback..

MarsianMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Cool, I just wasn't sure if this was just some major scam on eBay. I mean you can't buy extended warranties from other computer companies except through them...but awesomeness to Apple for this!

Thanks!

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Cool, I just wasn't sure if this was just some major scam on eBay. I mean you can't buy extended warranties from other computer companies except through them...but awesomeness to Apple for this!

Thanks!

Just FYI I bought mine just before 5PM CST and I already have a shipping confirmation email. It either went out today (he's on the west coast) or tomorrow. either way, so far so good.

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
I would make sure the seller ships it to you, which it looks like it was. I would be weary of the ones who say they will just send you the activation # via email. Hope everything works out! :D

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I just got my AppleCare that purchased from eBay. Activated just fine. Paid $87 shipped, normally $169 for my iMac. Definitely worth going with eBay. Just find someone reputable. The one I used had recent rep comments specifically regarding AppleCare purchases, so I was very comfortable going with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.