Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1
youresotrendy
macrumors newbie

my ipod is killing me and apple can't help- pro techies only

hello there.

well, i've pretty much tried everything besides nuking my computer.
it started the other day when my ipod was showing up on the desktop and not in itunes. i did some searching on ipod's support site and found this article.
because i was tired and not paying attention, i followed the instructions for this mac os update instead of for 10.4:

"Mac OS X 10.2.8 and earlier
To resolve this issue with earlier versions of Mac OS X, you'll need to delete one file and reinstall iTunes. Follow each of the steps below.

Step 1
Delete the file using Terminal
Warning: The steps below describe how to remove a file by entering commands in the Terminal application (located in the Utilities folder inside of the Applications folder). Users unfamiliar with Terminal and UNIX-like environments should proceed with caution. The entry of incorrect commands may result in data loss or unusable system software.

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
2. Type: sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/iPodDriver.kext
3. Press Return.
4. Enter the administrator account password when prompted.
5. Quit Terminal.
6. Restart the computer (From the Apple menu, choose Restart)."

after i did that, i realized when i plugged my ipod in and itunes started up, the ipod icon would disappear from the desktop altogether accompanied with the itunes error: "an ipod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. please disconnect and reconnect the ipod, then try again."

i tried. again. and again. and again. after realized i had messed up royally by deleting the .kext file, i called up apple and begged them to help. they repeated the 5 r's (four of which i already did) and told me to re-install itunes, which i had done twice. they could not figure out what was wrong even when i told them about deleting the .kext file and said that re-installing itunes would have fixed that. hmm. then they emailed me the article that they said would explain everything. but it was for windows...okay.

since i couldn't restore the ipod on my computer, i brought it to my boyfriend. he performed the diagnostic test and it proved to be okay. then i plugged it into his computer, restored it, and it worked fine. so it obviously must be something to do with my computer.

i tried extracting the .kext file with pacifist from the itunes package and it was not found. i've googled and groaned for days about this. someone please give me suggestions so that i don't have to deal with the apple people again.
youresotrendy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Gee
macrumors 65816

Potentially easily solved - get someone on here to email you a copy of the file, then put it back where it belongs.

What model of ipod do you have?
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:17 PM   #3
youresotrendy
macrumors newbie

60 gig video, whatever generation that is.
hope it works.

update:
i took my roommate's ipoddriver.kext file and put it in the extensions folder. still says the same error message.
any other advice?

Last edited by youresotrendy; Oct 22, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
youresotrendy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod