Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
neilhart
macrumors 6502

Apple "option" key from an non-apple keyboard

I have upgraded my G4 Mini Mac (1GB Memory and a 120GB hard drive) getting it ready for Leopard. I don't own an Apple keyboard and I have not been able to generate a "option" keypress during boot so I can select a boot device.

I have an image out on an external drive that is my fall back position (but I can not select it). Is there a work around using a PC keyboard or do I have to purchase an Apple keyboard?

Neil
neilhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
tuc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhart View Post
I have upgraded my G4 Mini Mac (1GB Memory and a 120GB hard drive) getting it ready for Leopard. I don't own an Apple keyboard and I have not been able to generate a "option" keypress during boot so I can select a boot device.

I have an image out on an external drive that is my fall back position (but I can not select it). Is there a work around using a PC keyboard or do I have to purchase an Apple keyboard?
No need to purchase an apple keyboard. On a generic USB keyboard the Alt key works as Option, and the Windows key works as Command.

The positions of those two keys are generally reversed from a mac keyboard, so some people swap the function of those keys in the OSX control panel.
tuc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:54 AM   #3
neilhart
macrumors 6502

Mini MAC vs MBP

So on my MBP, if I hold the option key depressed at power on, the system looks to see which devices are bootable and displays them.

On the Mini Mac (G4 if it makes a difference) using a USB generic keyboard I am not able to get the system to look for and display the boot choices!

My mission is to have the ability to recover my system by booting to an external drive.

Neil
neilhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:52 PM   #4
JAT
macrumors 603

Hold down the Alt button, should be right next to the Space bar.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac