Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
HomeingPigeon
macrumors regular

How do i write java on a mac?

For my class I will get extra credit if i can figure out how to write java and run java on a mac. I know it is possible and I hope that someone can tell me how they do it. The fewer things I have to download the better and the less money that it cost the better as well

thanks
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Queso
macrumors 603

Java is built into OSX. More info here
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:53 AM   #3
HomeingPigeon
macrumors regular

Yeah i know that it is built in but how do i access it and write it.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Queso
macrumors 603

Have you installed the XCode tools? The Java Development apps are bundled with them. They aren't installed by default, but are on your OSX installation disks.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

If you have broadband its probably best to download the latest version of the developer tools with a free developers account on http://developer.apple.com/. Though the method dynamicv will work fine, and save you a 900MB download.

Once you have installed the developers tools. You can then compile with javac and run with java just like on Windows/Linux.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:43 PM   #6
cjh
macrumors newbie

If you only need to prove that you can write, compile and run java on a Mac, then you can just use TextEdit to make your java source (set it up to use plain text instead of rich text), compile using javac, then run using java.

I don't recall if javac is installed with OS X or if you have to install it via developers tools (either off your OS X dvd or from the download mentioned above).

Alternatively, you can use XCode, also mentioned above, or other available IDEs for java available for Mac like Eclipse or NetBeans.

Last edited by cjh; Oct 23, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
cjh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming