Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
I need help.

I desperately need to buy a gig of memory for my mac mini
However when I look at it on apple.com, Apple Memory Module 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2-533 DIMM is 200$. I will not spend 200$ when I know I can buy it elsewhere, THEN take it to the apple store so they can install it. However, i just need to know a safe site to buy it from.

Also, Kingston Memory will work, right?
I am so clueless - i don't want to waste money! PLEASE HELP

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Buy the RAM from somewhere else - newegg.com has good prices and shipping, Ive spent thousands there, they are a good store. Any of the major brands will work for you. Just make sure you get the right kind of RAM (system profiler has the info you need). Also, if you have a CoreDuo or Core2Duo Intel processor, keep in mind that it uses LAPTOP memory, not desktop.

And if you are somewhat hardware savvy, its pretty easy to install it yourself. google "mac mini ram upgrade" and you will get plenty of how-to's to help you out. but you can always take it to a certified apple tech and they will be glad to charge you for it.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
No. 2 things:

1. you will need to buy a matched pair (if you want 1GB of RAM total, you need to buy two 512MB sticks, 2GB total would be two 1GB sticks)

2. it needs to be PC2-5300 RAM

This would work perfect:
http://e3wwwtest.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233049

and for $80 for 2GB... is a great deal.

Okay... I get what you're saying.
I have to have matching, or they won't work.
(Didn't know that)

Right now it says I have 2 (two) 265 MB ram, one in each slot.
But seriously who still runs their PC on 512mb of ram!?
After using my Grandmas new ilumi imac, I realized how slow my mini is.

So you're sure that will work?

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Okay... I get what you're saying.
I have to have matching, or they won't work.
(Didn't know that)

Right now it says I have 2 (two) 265 MB ram, one in each slot.
But seriously who still runs their PC on 512mb of ram!?
After using my Grandmas new ilumi imac, I realized how slow my mini is.

So you're sure that will work?

Yes. I just upgraded my mini to 2GB of RAM... bought the sam spec. AS LONG AS YOU have an Intel Mini... that is what you need. also, i would highly recommend you spring for the 2GB if you can... $80 for 2GB is very reasonable, and will dramatically affect performance, I've seen it first hand!

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
Yes. I just upgraded my mini to 2GB of RAM... bought the sam spec. AS LONG AS YOU have an Intel Mini... that is what you need. also, i would highly recommend you spring for the 2GB if you can... $80 for 2GB is very reasonable, and will dramatically affect performance, I've seen it first hand!

THANK YOU! :)
I am assured now that you say you've done it, too.
Yes, mine is an intel core2duo. :)

I might buy them one at a time (one this week, one next pay day) and have them installed in a few weeks. I have a buddy at the Apple store who actually saved me 30% (100$, after tax!) on my mac mini! So I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping me install it, either :]

I appreciate your help so much. The slowness is getting hard to deal with!

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
haha... no problem man. you got a GREAT deal on that Mini tho! enjoy! i know i love my mini more now that it has a little more muscle to it, but my MBP is still my primary system - which is why she is getting a 250GB HD upgrade friday morning in prep for Leopard!

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I just about ready for Leopard. I upgraded my Macbook pro HD to 250gig a few weeks ago, upgraded from 2gig memory to 3gig yesterday and my Mac Mini (Powerpc) 1gig module will come in today.

Apple is sucking the ilife out of my wallet.

- James

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
I just about ready for Leopard. I upgraded my Macbook pro HD to 250gig a few weeks ago, upgraded from 2gig memory to 3gig yesterday and my Mac Mini (Powerpc) 1gig module will come in today.

Apple is sucking the ilife out of my wallet.

- James

LOL... same here. But iWilling to do so because I will have 90GB more on my MBP, my Mini encodes video faster, the MBP will run Leopard faster & programs like Final Cut will render faster... so its definitely worth all of it for me. Cant wait! 3 days, 5 hours and counting!

Jazhawk

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I need help.

I desperately need to buy a gig of memory for my mac mini
However when I look at it on apple.com, Apple Memory Module 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2-533 DIMM is 200$. I will not spend 200$ when I know I can buy it elsewhere, THEN take it to the apple store so they can install it. However, i just need to know a safe site to buy it from.

Also, Kingston Memory will work, right?
I am so clueless - i don't want to waste money! PLEASE HELP

You can IM meo on AIM at " paskiewicz rofl "
or email me - sarahpaskiewicz@gmail.com

Install it yourself.

http://www.applefritter.com/Mac_Mini_Take_Apart_Guide

-Jazhawk

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Read the Guides

http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM
http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM

Assuming it is an intel Mini:
1. you will need to buy a matched pair (if you want 1GB of RAM total, you need to buy two 512MB sticks, 2GB total would be two 1GB sticks)

Incorrect. The Mini, as with all intel Macs, will work just fine with one SODIMM, or with mismatched SODIMMs. You gain about 6% - 8% in performance by having matched RAM. But that is a poor reason to go and buy a 512 Mb module just to match another 512. Its better to have MORE RAM then Matched RAM.
2. it needs to be PC2-5300 RAM

True, but only as far as it goes. It's like saying your tires have to be 15" (and forgetting to mention the width or profile)

The RAM has to be PC2-5300 DDR2-667 MHz 200 pin SODIMMs. 240 pin desktop sized PC2-5300 DDR2 667 Mhz DIMMs will not work.

OP: The Apple RAM you linked to is the wrong RAM. Its a 533 MHz DIMM, not a 667 MHz SODIMM.
Also, when asking for help, please specify exactly which model of machine you have. The G4 Mini uses totally different RAM from the intel Mini. Lastly, posting your email address on a forum basically guarantees you're going to get tons of spam. You may want to edit your post and take it out. Contact a Mod (Contact Us at the very bottom of the page) for help if you can't edit.

My recommendation to the original poster, and anyone who is not really familiar with the hardware, is to purchase from a reputable seller who knows Macs, will offer a guarantee of compatibility with your model Mac, gives a lifetime warranty, and offers a no charge (no shipping, no restocking fee) return for replacement or refund if it doesn't work. Data Memory Systems and OWC are two vendords that know Macs and are often recommended here.

technogeek

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Dude,

just go to RAMJET best RAM prices for MAC.

see ya

Fry's has an insane sale that ENDS TODAY for 2x1GB, total $40!
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5387938

It just says "2GB", but in fact when you get your e-mail confirmation, it says 2x1GB. And "PC2-5400" is just OCZ's bragging rights --- it's just high grade PC2-5300.

And they even have in stock the hard-to-get 2x2GB for MBP (Santa Rosa) for $170 total:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5284717

Lifetime warrantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.