Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
purpleplume
macrumors newbie

Business Card Critique - Freelance Writer

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a card for a freelance writer. Background image corresponds to her site. Signature and tagline correspond to the Site ID.

Most challenging has been readability over the background image. We're flexible on font for the small letterforms. This draft is done with Chantilly. Client prefers a more elegant font like Avenir Next Pro Condensed (which I don't have).

Normally, I wouldn't do a background image, but she wants a look and feel that's consistent with her site. Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VistaPrint_BusinessCard4.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	88224  
purpleplume is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:59 PM   #2
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleplume View Post
Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?
I like the image, but IMHO the background picture is far too busy to leave the text legible.

Can you simplify the background image enough to just leave the impression of the picture, without actually using the picture?

I'm thinking keep the color tone and content, but have it just end up like a shadow/outline of the pen and candle?

B
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
bluetooth
macrumors 6502a

Could do the title and image on one side and client info on the back over a more simpler or saturated design. Or if it needs to be single sided - run a solid white layer with reduced opacity somewhere under the text so it is more legible or break the visual up and add in a few areas with solid colour etc.

Last edited by bluetooth; Oct 23, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
bluetooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
ChicoWeb
macrumors 65816

Ehhh, images never really work well on business cards, looks Amateurish, not to mention you run into the issues you are. I'd take bluetooths idea and if they have to have a picture, turn it over, but still looks like a Kinkos move to me.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
klymr
macrumors 65816

86 the image. Either that or toss an opacity on it. Wash it out A LOT.

I like the font you have used. It looks nice and elegant.
klymr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

You could write the information on the paper, as if the hand in the pic had already written it.

Then put the contact info on the back. The slogan and writer's name should fit in that space.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Mac Kiwi
macrumors 6502

Maybe you could try a cheat DOF type of effect....{on the photo BG}
Mac Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:00 AM   #8
tersono
macrumors 68000

I get this problem all the time as the folks I work with are very fond of their 'pretty pictures'..... (I wear two 'hats' at work - one is systems admin, the other is graphic design - oh the joys of working for a charity! ).

Anyhow, in a similar situation with business cards, I wound up doing a double-sided card, framing the image on the front top and bottom with a solid colour and using that area for name and slogan - contact info went on the back.

With a b/g image as busy as that one, there's not really many options - it's either double-sided, using a tint or just throwing a shaped opacity on there to background the lettering...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:06 AM   #9
AlexisV
macrumors 65816

That image makes her look like a fifteenth century scribe rather than a modern freelance writer.

Luxury (space) Lifestyle (space) Writer makes it sound like three separate words, not a sentence.

Avoid outlined text, especially at that size.

There's some funny spacing in the text and 'phone' looks like it needs a capital P.

The email / web addresses are set out oddly. Which is the web, which is the email (I know the @ tells you, but it lack clarity)?

Why is there an extra, unconnected by the looks of it, web address?
AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Daringescape
macrumors regular

I dont have the photo or the same fonts, but since you have to use the photo I would try something like this:
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
faustfire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisV View Post
That image makes her look like a fifteenth century scribe rather than a modern freelance writer.

Luxury (space) Lifestyle (space) Writer makes it sound like three separate words, not a sentence.

Avoid outlined text, especially at that size.

There's some funny spacing in the text and 'phone' looks like it needs a capital P.

The email / web addresses are set out oddly. Which is the web, which is the email (I know the @ tells you, but it lack clarity)?

Why is there an extra, unconnected by the looks of it, web address?
Outlined text is a big "amateur designer" giveaway. Especially at small sizes.
faustfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 06:43 PM   #12
iHermes
macrumors newbie

too busy ... i like daringescape ... forgive cause i didn't read all the thread ... just review the images ...
iHermes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:25 PM   #13
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleplume View Post
I wouldn't do a background image, but she wants a look and feel that's consistent with her site. Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?
At the end of the day you are the designer and you have to guide the client through the design process. I think it would be worth pointing out that web != print and there are different styles and conventions.

It won't look great having a background image that detailed because you will always come up with the same problem of legibility of text.

One way to do this is to stick the image on the back (this would increase expense though, but could look really classy if done right).

My idea would be to only show a portion of the image (obviously with your own image):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1.png
Views:	20
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	88512   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr2.png
Views:	14
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	88515  

Last edited by elppa; Oct 25, 2007 at 07:39 PM.
elppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:58 AM   #14
AlexisV
macrumors 65816

Yep, top left of the ones above is getting warmer.
AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics