Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite Apple's efforts to restrict seeding to select individuals, it appears that the final build of Leopard has made its way outside of Apple. One individual who claimed to have installed Leopard as an upgrade to their iMac posted his experience. The Mac OS X upgrade took 30 minutes and these were his first impressions:

• All my applications and settings were retained
• Time Machine asked me on the first time I started in leopard, which of my five external Hard Drives should be used for backups. I didn't have to configure anything else
• When I started Mail for the first time, it had to upgrade the mail database. After that, Mail is blazing fast!
• I told Mail to import my RSS Feeds from Safari but that didn't work!
• Reading RSS in Mail is nice to have
• Tasks in Mail appear even if completed. That might be a bit distracting for some people
• Mail is FAST! Seeing is believing!
• Finder: Well, the first time it ran, it hanged! After killing the process, I was amazed by the speed and coverflow!
• Quick View: COOL - GREAT FEATURE
• Safari is blazing fast!
• .mac has the option to synchronize settings and Dock items
• Stacks: I am not impressed. I like the downloads stack though. I had to manually change the path in Mail and Safari though!
• Spaces: I created 4 Spaces and I find it a very cool feature, especially the live ala expose preview
• Applications start instantly, especially iLife and iWork!
• iCal is much better. There is an inline editor and an event drop box now
• Contacts is more or less the same
• iTunes seems much faster than before

Apple's Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 operating system officially launches on Friday, October 26th, 2007.

Copies of Mac OS X Leopard not sanctioned by Apple may reflect illegal distribution of copyrighted material and cannot be condoned. Any requests for or provision of illegal software distributions in our forums will result in post deletion and account banning.

Article Link

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
way to go made it to the front page despite the best efforts of some to shout him down.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
does anyone else find it weird that the rss imports didn't work and that he had to manually create the path to the download stack? That doesn't seem like something they would overlook especially since time machine was made to automatically set up? you sure this is the absolute final version?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
does anyone else find it weird that the rss imports didn't work and that he had to manually create the path to the download stack? That doesn't seem like something they would overlook especially since time machine was made to automatically set up? you sure this is the absolute final version?

It's possible that is default behavior in the Upgrade. Not to change your download directories.

I'm sure a default/fresh install would have them set correctly.

arn

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
I'd like to know what the specs of the system they were running it on and whether there will be speed improvements for G4 machines.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Cool. So what does he dislike about stacks? I'm thinking they will be nicer than my current App launcher which is basically right clicking a folder in the dock.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Cool. So what does he dislike about stacks? I'm thinking they will be nicer than my current App launcher which is basically right clicking a folder in the dock.

Sounded like he thought it wasn't that amazing a feature. I mean when you think about it you can do this with the current version.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Lots of comments about speed and responsiveness, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest. There is definite room for improvement in Tiger and it sounds like Apple have done a lot of tweaking in this area to deliver great performance.

Safari respecting your original downloads preference is no big deal. They probably should have checked to see the downloads folder was set to the Desktop and then changed it to the Downloads stack. Just and oversight, a clean install would get the default right, but I wouldn't use that as a justification for a clean install.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I'd like to know what the specs of the system they were running it on and whether there will be speed improvements for G4 machines.

I really want to know that as well. I feel like they really will be slower once Leopard is installed but I'm hoping for a surprise from Apple

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Wow, the fact that the user reported speed boosts is great - I wasn't expecting a boost in speed...! Can't wait for friday...

tbazani

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
so... Leopard it's FASTER than Tiger?

it will run FASTER than Tiger in my machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.