Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm looking to design some T-shirts, and I'd like to know just how large I can make the artwork. I've looked all over the internet to no avail. All of the T-shirts I've done in the past, I haven't really run into a size constraint, but I'm thinking I will this time. Does someone know the size of the screens that a typical place would use? Thanks.

jonG

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I'm looking to design some T-shirts, and I'd like to know just how large I can make the artwork. I've looked all over the internet to no avail. All of the T-shirts I've done in the past, I haven't really run into a size constraint, but I'm thinking I will this time. Does someone know the size of the screens that a typical place would use? Thanks.

The average screen size is around 20x22. You would want to keep your artwork around 18x20 or smaller. You can go into oversize screens that are bigger but it depends on the screen printer. As long as you keep that size or under you should be ok. you can always do 2 screens and overlap to get a bigger print but color registration is always more difficult that way but possible. Always ask the printer his maximum print size and specs before the final design. good luck!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. If anyone else wants to confirm what jonG has to say, please do so.

For budget restraints, I am unable to do two screens on either side- I'm already stretching the budget by using four colors. :)

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I work for a company that sells and designs shirts for screen printing and embroidery, the typical size for us is 14x12" max on full back and 4x4" on front pocket designs. this size is for screen printing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.