Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
I just want to carify something...

I intend to download some photos from the following site http://www.sxc.hu to be used in a political mail piece that a local candidate is paying me to produce. I will not use the ones that say, "(name of photographer) must be notified..." I will use the ones that just say "standard restrictions".

I do not wish to break any copywrite laws. Does ayone here use that site and if so I am working within the confines of their agreement? Here it is printed below.

Legal language scares me, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=help&s=8_2

FYI ALL the pics will just be of animals, no people in any of them whatsoever...

Thanks in advance

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer (though I have worked with royalty free music).

The terms sound acceptable for what you are describing. The only ones you might have had trouble with is the clause about not promoting products or services, if depicting a person, but you said you were only using pictures of animals (for your political candidate? this could be interesting..)

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer (though I have worked with royalty free music).

The terms sound acceptable for what you are describing. The only ones you might have had trouble with is the clause about not promoting products or services, if depicting a person, but you said you were only using pictures of animals (for your political candidate? this could be interesting..)

Indeed that line did catch my eye. I will be using a few photos that I took of the candidate. He will be surrounded by a collage of animal photos taken from the site.

Thanks for your reply.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
You should be able to use the pics without any problems. I've used several pics from the site in some TV commercials. Most people who post their stuff on this site want it to be viewed and used. It never hurts to contact the photographer and let them know how thier material will be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.