Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What type of machine are you talking about? Most machines have a an eject key that should open up the tray-loading drive.

EjectKey_crop.jpg

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Or is the only way to open it is to run an app that utilizes the DVD rom?

-Jazhawk

A "real" Apple keyboard (and a few "designed-for-Mac" third-party keyboards,) have a dedicated "eject" key (far upper right on Apple keyboards.) On a keyboard without a dedicated eject key, holding down F12 for a second or two should eject the disk (and open an empty tray, for a tray-load drive.) This even works on older Apple keyboards (like the original iMac keyboard,) that had no eject key.

edit: wow. I took way too long writing my answer.... There were no replies when I started writing!

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
The phrasing of the OP makes me question if it is wanted to actually use the DVD, not open it. Well, open whatever is on the DVD. But if the OP does want to just eject it, the above answers are great.

Jazhawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
The phrasing of the OP makes me question if it is wanted to actually use the DVD, not open it. Well, open whatever is on the DVD. But if the OP does want to just eject it, the above answers are great.

You are in too deep man.

And thanx for the assist on the orginal question all and to wildboy for providing the visuals. I didn't notice the eject button before on my mac keyboard. I recently picked up one of these very flat silver things. Anyway this has been one of the few questions about the mac that was driving me crazy.

But I'm learning.

-Jazhawk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.