Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
johny5
macrumors 6502a

unable to eject - disk in use

I have just started getting this pretty annoying error today on my external FW drive.
I want to eject it so I can put some felt pads underneath it as its making a right humming noise on the desk but when i try to eject it i get the error.

Now unless I am missing something, it tells me to quit all apps, yes, ive done that, the only thing that is running is finder.

Is there any easy way of finding out what is open on the external drive before I just pull the plug on the whole thing!?

ta
johny5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Did you check to see if any processes are accessing the disk? (e.g. Finder, mdimpiort)
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:47 AM   #3
johny5
macrumors 6502a

I did just check finder, but this is a pretty laborious way to check it isnt it?
I take it I am doing it right...... go into activity monitor and then inspect the process? (quite a few of them!)
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:50 AM   #4
motulist
macrumors 68040

Just log out and log back in, and all should be well. If not, then a restart will almost definitely cure what ails you.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:08 AM   #5
johny5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
Just log out and log back in, and all should be well. If not, then a restart will almost definitely cure what ails you.
ok, that sort of worked. I logged out the my imac hung with a black screen.

I think I might have found out what was using the external drive, one of my other macs reported that this drive had been disconnected from the network.
Ok it was maybe sat on the network share, but nothing was open. Anyway you would have thought a message along the lines of "this drive is currently shared and ejecting it will disconnect other users" might have been nice!?

Imac rebooted and all up and running now
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
reubs
macrumors 68000

I'm having this same problem with both my FW External and my iPod. Neither will eject from Finder, and both are saying, "Disk in use". Is this a problem people are still having?
reubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:54 AM   #7
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubs View Post
I'm having this same problem with both my FW External and my iPod. Neither will eject from Finder, and both are saying, "Disk in use". Is this a problem people are still having?
It's a very rare problem that's existed for a long time, but very occasionally it happens. As long as the disks aren't new or you just upgraded to leopard or reinstalled the OS or something that might've caused spotlight to reindex them, then it'd be super-rare to see it happening to 2 disks at once. So unless spotlight is busy indexing your drives, then you have a weird problem on your hands.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:40 AM   #8
skwij
macrumors 6502

Sorry to revive this oldie, but I found this thread in a search.

I'm having the same thing whenever I try and disconnect any external media like my Blackberry (with SD card) and a thumb drive, plus an external HD I use with Time Machine. It seems that it only started happening after the OS 10.5.7 update.

No apps running, just Finder. I've repaired permissions, logged out and back in, etc. Any hints as to what's going on?
Old May 29, 2009, 11:47 AM   #9
jive turkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwij View Post
Sorry to revive this oldie, but I found this thread in a search.

I'm having the same thing whenever I try and disconnect any external media like my Blackberry (with SD card) and a thumb drive, plus an external HD I use with Time Machine. It seems that it only started happening after the OS 10.5.7 update.

No apps running, just Finder. I've repaired permissions, logged out and back in, etc. Any hints as to what's going on?
I may be having a memory lapse, but I think I fixed this issue by going into Energy Saver preferences and unchecking the option to "put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible."
jive turkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

To find out what files are being accessed you can enter the following command into Terminal,
Code:
sudo lsof > ~/Desktop/lsof.log
This will create a log file listing all files that are currently in use by the system. It's easiest to open this log file in Console where you can use the search field to filter the listing. Enter in the name of the external drive and that should shorten the list greatly. From there it may provide clues. Often I find Spotlight is to blame.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 04:09 PM   #11
jive turkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive turkey View Post
I may be having a memory lapse, but I think I fixed this issue by going into Energy Saver preferences and unchecking the option to "put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible."
Sorry, but my memory has returned and the above is incorrect. This solved the problem of thumb drives ejecting on their own and giving me that "you better eject next time before you remove a drive!" warning. You are having the opposite issue. I apologize for my first post.
jive turkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 05:32 AM   #12
motulist
macrumors 68040

Open up Activity Monitor, pull the menu down to show "all processes", and click the CPU column to sort by CPU usage. Do you see a process called mdworker taking up a constant amount of cpu greater than 10%, or is it just jumping up to like 4% every few seconds and then dropping down to zero again for most of the time? mdworker is spotlight's process (iirc), so if mdworker is taking up a significant and constant amount of processor, then you have a runaway spotlight problem on your hands, which can be easily remedied.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:47 AM   #13
Trinity
macrumors regular

It happens very often but I think it's a system bug, if you have an activity light in the external hard drive you can see if it is really in use or not. I just unplug the cable and press the ok button in the bad boy warning dialog.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X