Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
So I have a 1.8ghz dual G5 with 3gb of ram for work. I mainly work in Adobe CS and do a far amount of Photoshop work. At any given time I may have all of Adobe CS plus Office and a few other apps running -- and a gazillion fonts. Went to the store and saw the new 24" iMac. How would a new iMac compare to my late '04 1.8DP G5? On that same note, how would a new MacBook Pro compare to the above?

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Unless you need the portability, the new iMac will outperform the Macbook Pro, and will smoke your old G5 as far as performance goes.

Considering you can get the a 2.8GHZ 24" iMac with 4GB of Ram for about ~$2300, you really can't beat this a price.

If you really need to be color accurate you'll find the iMac's panel to be of inferior quality when it comes to serious PS work. You'll be the better judge than me as to whether or not it is good enough for your work.

Tracer

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Funnily enough I just did the same transition - both ways. I had a G5 Dp1.8 at work and an identical machine at home.

The home machine was replaced with a 17" MacBook Pro, the work box with the iMac. Both completely wipe the floor with the G5s and both handle CS3, Dreamweaver and all the other crap I run very happily. There's not a lot to choose between them, performance wise, but the faster HD in the iMac just swings it.

If I had room for a 30" screen, I'd probably have gone for the MBP in both locations - purely for versatility - but under the circumstances, if you really don't need the portability of the MBP, then go for the iMac - I think you'll be pleased =]

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
Very helpful.

I don't NEED a portable, but there are times it'd be nice to have all my file and apps with me. So no issues of MBP HD speed compared to the old G5? How do the iMac display's compare to the ACD?

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
The Glossy provides more contrast than the matte 23" ACD.

Looks like you'll be going the MBP route.

Tracer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.