Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Hey guys, Im a fairly new Mac User and this ones got me stumped, I was messing around with sharing permissions On my Mac book Pro's HD and Set the option of the permissions for everyone to no access..... Well When I did that It completely locked everything out, I couldent log out, restart or anything. I tryed Clicking on the little lock to change it back but could not do that, I finely hard rested the Macbook Pro thinking I could log on to the Admin account ( I have 2 accounts one Admin that I never use and another without admin Privileges) And now it just hangs on the Grey apple logo..... I popped in the disk to see if I could repair permissions on the disk and that don't work eather!! I get a error message (Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit) and then repair compleat... Iv also Followed the advise of this thread post https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/206177/ and get error messages in terminal ( no such file or directory)
Well I don't know if this is a easy fix or not but this ones got me stumped....... You guys are my only hope cause I cant find a solution to this boneheaded mistake......

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
My only suggestion would be to use the original install disk (restart and hold down the C button on the keyboard). It should then let you re-set all the permissions.

But I've never done this and there could be other ways.

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Already Have

Iv allready done all that..... Any other Idea's??? This has all my homework on it ... And thanks for the fast reply:)

When I try to repair permissions it get the error message ( disk utility stopped repairing permisions on "MacBook PRO HD" because the following error was encounterd

the underlying task reported failure on exit)

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Did I chmod 700 the Whole HDD?????

Iv been doing some Research on this and found this post.... I was just wondering if that is pretty much what I did why I locked out everyone ( didn't know It meant me also) out of the HD Icon....

I've been using the command line for quite a while, and consider myself an intermediate UNIX user, but that doesn't mean I'm immune to carelessness. While I've finally genetically modified my brain to NEVER use asterisk in combination with the "rm" command, there was one command I performed absent-mindedly last week that wreaked havoc, and that I had never thought about as possibly being as destructive as it was. Can I warn you all about it?

I was working on a networking consultancy gig when I noticed sendmail was acting up because the root directory had become group writable again. So I reached over to quickly fix it, and typed:

> sudo chmod 700 /

I should have typed chmod 750, but I didn't. Now, you long time UNIX users will immediately see the horror of what I'd done, but I didn't get it, at least until all sorts of processes began shutting down. Then, it dawned on me: I had basically locked myself out of doing anything....
read the rest

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I would start by just verifying the disk in disk utility off the CD. then if that doesn't work see if you can start in single user mode (hold down cmd-s) so the apple key and the s. If it dumps you at the prompt then your in business.

EDIT: and as a last resort you can boot off an external harddrive and fix it that way.

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Ya I can boot in user mode... But then what???

Ya I can Boot in Single user mode but don't know what to do from there!!! Thanks for all the Help I have a huge project do tomorrow:eek: and need to get to my files..... Thanks:)

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Sorry No external HDD

Was going to get one... But just had a new baby so money went elseware.... Any other Ideas????... I have another mac in my room but cant get to my files on My laptop......

P.S. Im verifying Permissions now and Will update you when its done..... Thanks again you guys rock!:cool:

Edit: Verifying completed without any errors.... WHAT do I do Now????

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
So I think I might have a solution. Boot into single user mode, then type:
Code:
cd /
chmod 777 .
Press return after each line. Now this SHOULD open up your permission wide open so it can boot. At that point you will have to go back the root of macintosh HD and set the permissions as follows. You can read & write.
Then owner: system
access: Read & write

Group: admin
Access: Read & write

Others: read only

Also if it does not allow you to do the chmod type it as "sudo chmod 777 ."
I have never tried this but hopefully it will work.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
O just thought of another thing if the above doesn't work then you can use target disk mode if you have a firewire cable.

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Im Just going to reinstall the disk.....

Thanks for the suggestions but I got Homework to finish and need to use my laptop... I just checked out my mozy account and It backed up most of my work last night:) at least enough to get me back on track.... would defanatley recommend them.........

You get 2Gig's free of charge and can download a program that backs up automatically..... Check them out www.mozy.com

Thanks again guys and let this be a lesson to everyone.... when you set the permissions don't click on No access for everyone... Because that apperantly means Root admin also....

Later:confused:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions but I got Homework to finish and need to use my laptop... I just checked out my mozy account and It backed up most of my work last night:) at least enough to get me back on track.... would defanatley recommend them.........

You get 2Gig's free of charge and can download a program that backs up automatically..... Check them out www.mozy.com

Thanks again guys and let this be a lesson to everyone.... when you set the permissions don't click on No access for everyone... Because that apperantly means Root admin also....

Later:confused:

I was really hoping you would try the Chmod thing...because i think it might work just out of curiosity my brother was wondering too. COuld you still give it a shot?:D

Layer3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Great! Ill Try that Now and Keep you updated....

Ill Try that and If it Doesn't work then Ill just tuck my tail between my legs and do a clean install:(..... Thanks alot for all the help.... and Ill update with my result....:)

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
You should definitely try that before reinstalling, it's just two quick lines to type to possibly avoid a whole reinstall and downloading a ton of files. When you ask for help/suggestions you should try/take them. ;)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Would an Archive and Install not work?

It backs up all your files and replaces the system ones, so it is like a fresh installation. Only takes about an hour too.

jbstew32

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
I would be willing to bet money that chmod -R 777 / would do the trick, as someone stated earlier. I'm not sure if you'd need to put a sudo in front of that either, so it would be run as root instead of just admin (I think there is a difference, but am not 100% sure)

if that doesn't work, then I wouldn't know what to tell you, aside from trying to boot from another drive and rescue the files or trying archive&install as a last resort

oh and that chmod command isn't such a good idea from a security standpoint, but it should absolutely fix your problem. After you finish your work, you might want to archive&install just to reset all the permissions back to default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.