Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Mindflux
Banned

Disabling 'preview' mode in Mac Mail?

I'm new to Apple computers and OSX. I'm just now setting up my Mac Mail is Tiger (1.4.10). I want to disable the preview pane but I can't find out how. Until I get my spam filtering working I'd rather not have to 'preview' the spam when I click the email to mark it junk, as I fully believe this is one of the ways the spammers gauge what gets read (hidden html in the email giving response back to a spam server). In fact, I think that it was proven at some point a few years back that some spammers do this.

Yes, I know I can turn off loading html or loading images, but I'd rather just turn off the preview pane.

Thanks.
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
In the bar between the mail list and the preview pane, there is a dot. Click and drag it all the way down. When you get close to the bottom, it will "jump" the rest of the way, indicating it is disabled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 8.png
Views:	633
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	88643
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
The bar between the mail list and the preview pane, there is a dot. Click and drag it all the way down.

Doesn't that just shrink the preview pane? I want it disabled so emails don't load until I double click them.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Doesn't that just shrink the preview pane? I want it disabled so emails don't load until I double click them.
Once it jumps the rest of the way, it is no longer shrunk but disabled. You'll notice that after a certain point, you can't make it any smaller it just jumps down.

Try it, then click on one of the emails you know has images or what not in it. Then drag the pane back up into view. You'll see that it takes a few moments to load the content of your email.

I believe this is how it works, anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
Once it jumps the rest of the way, it is no longer shrunk but disabled. You'll notice that after a certain point, you can't make it any smaller it just jumps down.

Try it, then click on one of the emails you know has images or what not in it. Then drag the pane back up into view. You'll see that it takes a few moments to load the content of your email.

I believe this is how it works, anyway.
Cool! Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:05 AM   #6
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Also, if you prefer to display the plain text version (if there is one) of the email instead of the HTML version, you can use this tip.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Also, if you prefer to display the plain text version (if there is one) of the email instead of the HTML version, you can use this tip.
Right on. Thanks ! I'll keep that in mind.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help