Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
So I put the Leopard DVD into my imac (2.4 alu) and start the install, and since it said it would take around an hour, I went to lunch.

I come back, and I just have the blue colored background, a mouse cursor, and nothing else. Can't get it to do anything. So I do a manual reboot with the power button. Boots up, same thing.

So I eject the DVD, boots up... same thing.

Seems that something went wrong. What should I do? Boot straight to the DVD and try installing again?

Or did I just bork my Tiger system and now am going to have to start fresh?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
were you doing an upgrade? or clean installation?

upgrade. i ran the dvd from Finder in Tiger, and it asked me to restart. So I did, and it automatically started the Leopard installer. I answered the questions, and when it said it'd take about an hour, I just left it, and came back to what I described above.

I've now held down C and booted to the DVD, and I am at the installer again. It's presently "installing" and I am giving the new progress bar and time remaining, but theres no telling if my system is still intact...

Why would it have blanked out like that on an unattended install?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
as someone said

So I put the Leopard DVD into my imac (2.4 alu) and start the install, and since it said it would take around an hour, I went to lunch.

I come back, and I just have the blue colored background, a mouse cursor, and nothing else. Can't get it to do anything. So I do a manual reboot with the power button. Boots up, same thing.

So I eject the DVD, boots up... same thing.

Seems that something went wrong. What should I do? Boot straight to the DVD and try installing again?

Or did I just bork my Tiger system and now am going to have to start fresh?

Boot from the DVD and start over. I had a blue screen with my MBP install, not with my iMac. I just waited and it booted fine.... you should have waited I think... so now reinstall from the DVD.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
You went to lunch before you even saw a window asking you what kind of install to do ?

No, it had already started. And it never asked for what type of install, I am assuming since I executed it from withing Tiger, it knew it was an install. I just did it on my Macbook before, and it was fine. Did the exact same thing - put in the dvd in tiger, clicked the icon, and it restarted and installed. Macbook was upgraded just fine and never once asked if I wanted to do a clean install, upgrade, or archive and install. It just automatically did the upgrade /shrug.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Same thing happened on my Mac Pro. I ended up booting from the disk and doing a clean install. I was doing an upgrade but I decided i wwanted to start out clean, so since this happened i just did a clean install. Worked fine and it only took 10 minutes.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Same thing happened on my Mac Pro. I ended up booting from the disk and doing a clean install. I was doing an upgrade but I decided i wwanted to start out clean, so since this happened i just did a clean install. Worked fine and it only took 10 minutes.

Well, it worked so flawless on my Macbook I figured the iMac would be no different. Problem is, I don't have any really recent backups of this machine since it's my "home" machine and sorta just for surfing and world of warcraft... but losing all that stuff would really suck.

Oh well, it's reinstalling now so let's see. I still don't understand where the blue screen comes from though, doesn't make sense that it would just boot the machine into a nothingness void.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
flawless

Well, it worked so flawless on my Macbook I figured the iMac would be no different. Problem is, I don't have any really recent backups of this machine since it's my "home" machine and sorta just for surfing and world of warcraft... but losing all that stuff would really suck.

Oh well, it's reinstalling now so let's see. I still don't understand where the blue screen comes from though, doesn't make sense that it would just boot the machine into a nothingness void.

My first install was on my iMac 2.8 and I HAD to erase and install, noting else would show my primary drive but I was able to do an update on my MBP which makes me very happy; it has more work related stuff on it the iMac is for play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.