Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I was poking around in Leopard's Disk Utility and it lists a "sparse bundle disk image" as an type of image to make.

The help mentions how to create it, but not how it might differ from a sparse disk image. Apple's site has no info on it either.

Closest info I found was this definition:
http://eng.proz.com/kudoz/2219600

Could this be a new image format used to enable the Time Machine functionality?

It seems it may grow and shrink on the fly (as opposed to the old sparse images which only grew, but had to be manually shrunk).

Dickie

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2005
Funnily enough I've just been following the process from

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071026112440622#comments

and time machine has sprung into life and can see the HD attached to my airport extreme. Even though I used time machine to create an image when it was locally attached, it now appears to be creating a new image for the whole drive - and guess what... its creating a sparse disk image bundle (which contains a new backup image).

So far its done 2Gb of 100, so will leave it overnight and see how things stand in the morning!

thehuhman

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
NC
oops! Moved the Sparse Bundle!

I inadvertently moved a sparse bundle file (2 gigs) from my laptop to my Mac Pro. Can I just delete it, or do I need to move it back to the Laptop. And if so, where do I put it on the Laptop?

MBenwa

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Can i delete it?

I downloaded Disk Inventory X because i had some mystery file taking up more than 150GB. I later found out that it was "Myusername".sparsebundle, can i just delete it or will it ruin my computer? please help my computer is crippled because of it!

System: 2008/09 iMac, OS X V.10.6.5
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 320GB HD.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I downloaded Disk Inventory X because i had some mystery file taking up more than 150GB. I later found out that it was "Myusername".sparsebundle, can i just delete it or will it ruin my computer? please help my computer is crippled because of it!

System: 2008/09 iMac, OS X V.10.6.5
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 320GB HD.

NO DON'T DELETE IT.

You're probably running filevault and that sparsebundle is your encrypted home directory. Delete it (or even one of the bundle files) and you'll lose all your home directory files.

MBenwa

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
What should i do?

Thanks a bunch iVoid, that would make sense. turns out i am running filevault, but to turn it off it wants another 79GB. What the heck! its currently using more than half of my hard drive space, i dont have 79GB to delete.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks a bunch iVoid, that would make sense. turns out i am running filevault, but to turn it off it wants another 79GB. What the heck! its currently using more than half of my hard drive space, i dont have 79GB to delete.

To turn off Filevault you need enough free space to copy everything in your home directory out from the encrypted sparsebundle file.

Unless you have stuff under your home directory that you can delete, turning off filevault really won't save you much space. Every time you log out, the system will compact the sparsebundle file to reclaim unused space.

The sparsebundle file just seems huge since it's holding all your home directory files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.