Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PoohBear120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
So, I was looking around for a cheap upgrade CPU for a Sawtooth. I noticed that on Ebay there are many processors from later G4 models that are fairly cheap. After doing some searching, I realized that there seems to be a problem with the differences in bus speeds (Mine is 100 Mhz, Later models are 133 Mhz). Would this be a major issue in installing a CPU from a MDD or Quicksilver? If so, what can I do to fix it?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
As far as I know, the MDD processors won't fit into a Sawtooth (they have separate upgrade processors as well). The Quicksilver processors may work fine, but you may just want to buy an aftermarket processor that you know will work.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Nopey dopey :)

Sawthooths have a ZIF-drop in cpu w/ a 100mhz bus, the Digital Audio & later models have a totally different, socketed cpu @133mhz or higher.

I used the DP/500 cpu card from a Gigabit Ethernet as a direct replacement for my old Sawtooth's SP/450 notta problemo....

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
i have a 500mhz DP sawtooth that i will be sellin for parts soon, as soon as i get my memory for my MDD. i have the same name on ebay so be sure to look for it and save me. i've been selling quite a few g4 parts already.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Nopey dopey :)

Sawthooths have a ZIF-drop in cpu w/ a 100mhz bus, the Digital Audio & later models have a totally different, socketed cpu @133mhz or higher.

I used the DP/500 cpu card from a Gigabit Ethernet as a direct replacement for my old Sawtooth's SP/450 notta problemo....

No, sir, you are incorrect. Only the Yikes! had a zif, the Sawtooth and above all had daughtercards (Yikes!=ZIF and PCI graphics, Sawtooth=daughtercard and AGP graphics). The Sawtooth is, however, a 100mHz bus machine, so I don't think anything above that will work without some motherboard mods (which I think are possible). I could be wrong on that, though.

But going back to my original point, by the time you sort all that out, it's probably just cheaper to pick up an aftermarket upgrade (which are generally designed to operate on bus speeds at either 100 or 133mHz). I've seen the 1.0gHz upgrades go for under $75 on ebay.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
No, sir, you are incorrect. Only the Yikes! had a zif, the Sawtooth and above all had daughtercards (Yikes!=ZIF and PCI graphics, Sawtooth=daughtercard and AGP graphics). The Sawtooth is, however, a 100mHz bus machine, so I don't think anything above that will work without some motherboard mods (which I think are possible). I could be wrong on that, though.

But going back to my original point, by the time you sort all that out, it's probably just cheaper to pick up an aftermarket upgrade (which are generally designed to operate on bus speeds at either 100 or 133mHz). I've seen the 1.0gHz upgrades go for under $75 on ebay.

Yep, my bad :p........I was thinkin of my beloved smurfbox at first..........but, you're right, the bus speed does limit the swap possibilities, but aftermarket upgrade cards are plentiful 4 sure :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.