Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ying yang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I plugged in my external HD last night and was told I'd have to format. I moved all my data over to a larger disk during the night so as to clear it for this. I woke up this morning, did a spotlight search for Time Machine and got "An unexpected error occurred (Error Code -43). I then, in my half asleep state, thought that I'd just uninstall TM. I have this app called AppDelete, which did the trick. Now I realise that TM is in system prefs and appears to be working.

Firstly, has anyone else gotten this error, and secondly, is there any way to get back whatever it was I deleted earlier? Maybe by using the install disk. I looked at it earlier and didn't see any options.

I noticed that the TM "app" in the Applications folder was only a few hundred kbs so I may not have done much damage. Doesn't anyone know what that part is? Is it just a frontend or what?

craysen

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
same error

I installed leopard yesterday on my laptop and started the time machine program all without a hitch. Since I have a laptop I needed to disconnect the hard-drive. I should have been suspicious when it was difficult to eject. Today I plugged my hard-drive in and tried opening up time machine and thats when I got "an unexpected error occurred (error code -43)" in the dialogue box. sorry im no help but at least this isnt isolated - more chance of it being fixed. I tried running a permission fix and got this
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

The Uhrinator

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Spokane
I think I fixed it.....

What I did is I went to the time machine in the system preferences, then in time machine, then to change disk. Click on the disk you want to use and then click use for backup. Tell me if this works for you, it worked for me.:apple::apple::apple:

DCTI906

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
time machine Error -43

Thank you, I tried your advice and now Time machine is backing up my MacBook as I type this. :):apple:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What I did is I went to the time machine in the system preferences, then in time machine, then to change disk. Click on the disk you want to use and then click use for backup. Tell me if this works for you, it worked for me.:apple::apple::apple:

A useful noob!:D Nice work.

veracity

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Atlanta
What if there is no disk to select? What do I do? I have it from the store and it worked when I first got it. It was bought last month.

Caribbean Mac

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Dominican Republic
Time Machine is not working correct after OSX 10.5.4 update

After updating to OSX10.5.4 my TM wont do its daily backups any suggestions? it reports it can not mount the backup disk

Also I noticed that after doing the MS Office 2008 12.1.1 update and TM is running the Office application crashes a lot anyone has noticed this?

freddy33

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
No disk to select

@veracity
I had the same problem and for some reason Mac stop mounting my external USB drive?
I went to Disk Utility under Applications/Utilities and my USB external drive was there. Just clicked on mount and since everything perfect. :)

craigijohno

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Brisbane, QLD Australia
After updating to OSX10.5.4 my TM wont do its daily backups any suggestions? it reports it can not mount the backup disk

Also I noticed that after doing the MS Office 2008 12.1.1 update and TM is running the Office application crashes a lot anyone has noticed this?

I've just had the same thing happening, I've reselected my Time Capsule as my backup disc, it sits there for a while saying "preparing....." I think its a problem with creating a new disc image on the desktop. Anyone got some ideas?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.