Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I's say that it has to do with money and penetration. But mainly money.

Apple's not going to eat the cost of including Bluetooth, so the cost of their computers will go up.

Besides, Bluetooth really hasn't reached a critical mass yet. So it would be useless for the people who don't want/need/use it. The people who do want it can buy the adapter.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
but honestly in volume.. the cost per machine cant be more then 50cents to a dollar more

the same can be said for optical in /out on the g5 or gigabit etherbet or firewire 800... not that popular.. but still there

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Well, if there's a dollar to be made, someone's gonna try to make it. Sure, the cost to Apple might only be 50 cents, but they'd inflate that to $25 bucks by the time it gets to the consumer.

As for the G5s and the optical in/out connections. I guess they figured that since this is their cutting edge machine, they needed to include some exotic ports. I'm sure they figured the cost of the optical ports into the price structure of the G5s.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by adamfilip
but honestly in volume.. the cost per machine cant be more then 50cents to a dollar more

the same can be said for optical in /out on the g5 or gigabit etherbet or firewire 800... not that popular.. but still there

50 cents or a dollar is a boatload of money in manufacturing.

But I think things like gigabit ethernet, optical out and firewire 800 are real selling points for a number of rofessionals and reinforce the concept of the pro lines as being "professional" I don't think bluetooth has that same effect personally.

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
Built for Mac, everyone is different. :)

One of my reasons to purchase a G5 is the optical ports. I'm planning on connecting it to my stereo. Ultimate iPod.

As for Blutooth ... I know of a large company that tried to use it with their PCs. Problem was, that typing on a keyboard could cause the text to appear on a different computer! (Company jokester perhaps). I've been fighting with Bluetooth for about a year. Its touted as a do everything protocol. It only appears to work on very specific things. I don't think its mature yet. It may be to complex.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-adamfilip

It'll take time to penetrate the lines, it's not something like WiFi whose benefit was obvious.

BTW- it's built in to the new top iMac released today :D

The problem is that BlueTooth isn't marketed on the device end. It's always an after thought. I believe that phones are the market for BlueTooth, but the manufacturers haven't put an enphasis on it. I just read a survey that 51% found cameras desireable and only 10% found BlueTooth desireable.

Personally, I find connectivity, the ability to use a headset from 20 feet away from the phone, and iSynching far more useful than a camera.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by patrick0brien
BTW- it's built in to the new top iMac released today :D

Not really. Apple usually takes the top end model and puts all the goodies in it. Before the updates, they had one with BT as well, plus 1GB of memory, etc. The G4 used to be the same way.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Added cost for something most people won't or can't use? It simply doesn't make sense. Every one of their machines (with the exception of the iBooks) has the option for it. If you need it you can get it. Most people don't.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: Why isnt BlueTooth Built into every new Mac

The subject says it all.

all new Macs can have the ability to have bluetooth added on

Why isnt it built in. onto the mainboard. and not an option.

Because many people like me don't need it and would never use it.
Well, but thne again i don't need some other stuff apple includes but i still get it hehe.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
you may not have a need for it now.. but you really dont know if you will need it in the future

My rule of thumb is: Only buy what you really need, not what they want to sell. Afterall we are talking about money throwing here.

If you need it so much, add it for 50 bucks...

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
true but do you really need firewire 800.. how many people have a real need for firewire 800..

and considering that apple will release bluetooth mice and keyboards very soon (so it seems) having bluetooth built in would be very convienent.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
true but do you really need firewire 800.. how many people have a real need for firewire 800..

and considering that apple will release bluetooth mice and keyboards very soon (so it seems) having bluetooth built in would be very convienent.

Yeah good point there about firewire 800. Infact when i said: "Well, but thne again i don't need some other stuff apple includes but i still get it hehe.", FW800 came into my mind.
But since i'm taking digital video production next semester, i'm guessing it will come in handy anyways... :)

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i think apple is heading towards doing exactly that. esecially with all new PBs having them built in. once the 15" Al is out, the entire PB line will have it. and maybe when a enw iBook is introduced, it'll also have BT. and BTO BT for PMs and iMac are easy. :)

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I guess making bluetooth included in all machines could be a trong enticement for people to buy bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Bluetooth Keyboards and mice will probably cost more than 50$ each. If people have to pay an extra 100$ for bluetooth (or 50$ for the USB version), they might not be inclined to go bluetooth. 200$+ is kind of an expansive ticket for a bluetooth wireless migration.

I guess the final decision depends on if they want to make wireless keyboards/mice mainstream or extra. Both decisions are arguably good.

Just a tought

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
It will happen soon. You are correct when you say it isn't a very expensive add-on. Heck it's gotta be cheaper to add that than to add FW800 or Gigabit Ethernet. It is still a relatively unproven technology, and as such will take a little while to make the jump to consumer devices. Apple appears to be one of only a few companies to give BT serious consideration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.