Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I installed the Security Screen Saver as per the instructions on this site but am experiencing some crazy issues with the iSight camera being shared among apps. Though it is true that only one application can utilize the iSight at a time it is appearing as though apps are not letting go of the iSight when they're done using it.

For example, I pulled up my iSight in iChat to play with the background effects. I close the video preview window. In Tiger this would then shutoff the green LED and allow the iSight to be used by other apps. In Leopard it appears to just shutoff the LED, but the iSight still appears as in use (or disconnected) when accessing the preview window for the Security screen saver in System Preferences or in Quartz Composer. I rebooted, this time heading straight over to the System Preferences > Screen Saver window. The preview for "Security" worked fine. But when I clicked Test to activate the saver it just held black with the built in grainy gradient of the screen saver, sans all of the photos from the camera. I then had to press the escape key to get back out.

Is anybody else having these issues? I realize I'm using the iSight a lot more than most when working on updating some Quartz Compositions for work, but just wondered if this was affecting anybody else out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.