Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Yes but what I want to know is this: If I was to stop a Time Machine backup, would it resume from where it left off when the next backup is due?

Thanks for the reply though.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I dont know. I would have thought it probably would, since its copying individual changes rather than one large backup image, but I cant tell.

FredLoney

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
If you unmount (eject) the backup drive, then backup resumes where it left off after remount. I don't know if issuing a Stop has the same effect. The overhead is so small that the only reason to suspend the backup is to disconnect a laptop anyway, so you might as well just unmount.

jskov54

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Unless you are doing a network backup...

It shouldn't be a lot of overhead unless you are doing a network backup (as I am now over a secured wireless network).

I am still interested in the answer to the question, if anyone knows.

Thanks.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I don't know, but I would guess it just picks up with a new backup.

I mean, it's backing up every hour...so if it misses one hour, what's the big deal? Next hour will capture the changed files as well as it would this hour.

Seems like a bit of overkill to finish the last incomplete backup, then do another recalculation of what's changed this past hour for a new backup within a few minutes of the previous hour's incompleted backup ending. No?

jskov54

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
I don't know, but I would guess it just picks up with a new backup.

I mean, it's backing up every hour...so if it misses one hour, what's the big deal? Next hour will capture the changed files as well as it would this hour.

Seems like a bit of overkill to finish the last incomplete backup, then do another recalculation of what's changed this past hour for a new backup within a few minutes of the previous hour's incompleted backup ending. No?

So here is the deal. This is the first backup on this drive. So, I set it to backup last night, which it did not finish, so now, I am wanting to stop it, but let it complete the first full backup later...

Any thoughts?

ncdasa

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
I dont know if this information is still in want but i just stopped my back up (the first one actually) just by pressing the "x" button ("stop backing up") and resumed it by starting the back up again. i.e it does pick up where you leave off.

MABook

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
The "stop backing up" option can be accessed by right-clicking the time machine drive icon in Finder.
PS: i know this thread is old but it is still a top-result in Google Search, so.

stapoz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
Backup can be stopped and resumed any time. There is no problem even if you shut down your comp during a backup in progress. It is very well implemented feature

RigoMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Old post, but this comes up high in google searches. This decidedly did not work for me. Had to stop with 20 minutes to go and it has made me start over. 8 hours down the drain....ouch!

combio-and-coffee

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
It does seem to work for me. I stopped (hit the 'x' in the Time Machine pane) an overnight backup that had 4 Hours left bc I had to go to work a few days ago. It had been backing up for >8h at that point. I plugged it back in not too long ago this evening and it currently says 35% done with 2h left, so it definitely did not start completely over.

Edit: for posterity, here's the Apple Support page that tells you how to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.