Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:59 PM   #1
alecmcmahon
macrumors regular

problem with BC with Leopard-BC partition not showing up.

hey guys, running leopard on iMac 2.16 w/3 Gig of ram ( White iMac)

Leopard running smooth, went to go install my winxp for gaming.

Created a 50 gig partition via the bootcamp assistant , said restart, and bla bla bla

but when i get in to the win xp setup , under where to install my windows, the 50 gig partition that i made didnt show up, in fact, there was only one partition, and it was for 131gb, which didnt match any partion i had on my system.

i re-tryed a few times, still same thing, so i figure, hey it might be a bug and just clicked ok to install on that partion and it wiped out my leopard install....

So whats the prob. here?

why isnt the partition bootcamp created showing up on my Windows setup?
alecmcmahon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:10 PM   #2
gcdrwhom
macrumors member

I've got the same problem right now on my 2.33 MBP.

I used the Boot Camp Assistant to create a 12 GB partition, which shows up in Leopard as a 12 GB partition called "BOOTCAMP". Then the Assistant reboots with my XP CD. XP does its thing loading drivers and such, but when it gets to the "pick your partition" screen, only my 134 GB Leopard partition shows up, and nothing else. Not wanting to zap my Leopard partition, I quit out and reboot into OS X.

And I just Archived and Installed to Leopard this morning. Anyone knows what gives?
gcdrwhom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
subwarm
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to subwarm
Same exact problem here on my brand new Santa Rosa MacBook.

This seems to be a Leopard Boot Camp bug that other people have been having as well. Quite annoying.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....19469&tstart=0

If anyone has a fix please share!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:37 PM   #4
gcdrwhom
macrumors member

Tantalizingly, this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=369700
seems to offer a solution using either Norton Ghost or FreeDOS.

Flyinmac suggests booting to a command prompt (apparently from a bootable DOS CD), and then using the DOS disk tool FDISK. Using FDISK will confirm the presence of the BOOTCAMP partition. Flyinmac then suggests using the format command (ye olde "format c:" for you old school DOS people), to reformat that partition.

It's a little risky, as you need to be very sure that you're formatting the right partition, but I may give it a try and let you know how it goes.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:06 AM   #5
gcdrwhom
macrumors member

By the way, the solution for me ended up being making sure that I had the Service Pack 2 version of XP. The other stuff regarding FreeDOS and Ghost ended up being irrelevant. Starting again from a clean Boot Camp Assistant partition, my XP SP2 detected the partitions and installed by the book.

It should also be noted that I was able to slipstream my non-SP2 XP into an SP2 XP, by following these instructions: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

This may not work for you if you lack access to a Windows machine with the proper tools installed. Still, it worked great for me after an afternoon of struggling with those other solutions.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
subwarm
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to subwarm
Hi thanks for posting this, I'm going to take a look at some of the methods you described.

Only thing is that I made sure to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...5394861&sr=8-1)
from the beginning and I'm still not seeing the partition on boot.

I'm going to take a look at some other software today to see if it gets the job done. This looks promising: http://refit.sourceforge.net/screen.html
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
alecmcmahon
macrumors regular

hey guys, it seems that i needed to have the Sp2 disk when installing, pre leopard i just used my sp1 disk then upgraded, and it worked...but with leopard it seems you NEED to have the SP2 disk

thanks all
alecmcmahon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:09 PM   #8
gcdrwhom
macrumors member

Alec: That makes sense out of the conflicting reports I've heard about being able to install even with SP1.

Subwarm: I'd be wary of switching up the EFI boot menu. Given the bumps people have been having with Boot Camp, I could see them updating it soon.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac