Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peletrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hello,
Please excuse my ignorance, but a friend of mine wants me to help him transfer two Super 8 video tapes to digital and then burn them to DVD, using my Mac Pro.

I don't use my Mac Pro for these sort of purposes--it's set up for pro audio and Logic 8. I'd like to help him with his transfer, but what do I need??? Any additional hardware and connectors?? Any additional software. I have handbrake and Toast, etc, but that's more for my own DVDs.

Thanks for any advice,
NJ

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Sony 8mm and Hi8 video formats are analog, but their Digital8 format is ... well, it is digital already. If you have access to a Digital8 camcorder, you can use that to playback 8mm or Hi8mm tapes; the camera will convert the signal to Firewire which connects to your Mac. You can use iMovie to capture and edit, then use iDVD for authoring and burning the DVD.

If you don't have access to a Digital8 camcorder, you'll need a qualified DV device such as a DV camcorder, VTR or converter. The Canopus ADVC-110 works well as a converter.

Alternatively, you could record directly to a DVD recorder (bypassing the computer altogether), but you will need a playback device.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.