Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMax531

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
SF Bay Area/JHU
This semms likely - but I am rather surprised that the Xserves will not go with 2 ghz chips - perhaps it is because of quanity/heat/price issues.

anyway, this is a needed upgrade, and will prove very profitable for Apple.

-imax

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
Much needed

Obviously the G5 is capable of scaling (VA), so it seems only logical that nobody will buy the G4 xServe anymore, unless it's for small office basic file serving use (which is something any desktop can do easily enough).

This is when we find out if Apple is serious about the corporate market. Or the Hollywood market for that matter.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
This is a much needed upgrade from Apple. I also think if Apple is indeed serious about the server game, they need a central serving unit, not a rack mount, but a central server, Maybe utilizing the Power5 chip when it debuts.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
It looks like MacBD's report is based on the other report ("G5 Xserve leaked?") which they now say may be a typo. The date given, Sept. 23, is a Tuesday, though.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Waluigi
So, what is more important right now: powerbooks, or xserve?
For me it's Xserves, since I'm evaluating candidates for a new server. I like the server hardware of the Xserve. Things that are not available in a Desktop like 4 hot swap drives and cheap 4-hour turn around service contract etc.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by iMax531
This semms likely - but I am rather surprised that the Xserves will not go with 2 ghz chips - perhaps it is because of quanity/heat/price issues.

Definitely quantity. There are too many orders on hold for Dual 2 GHz G5s. The wouldn't put another burden on themselves.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by MacManiac1224
This is a much needed upgrade from Apple. I also think if Apple is indeed serious about the server game, they need a central serving unit, not a rack mount, but a central server, Maybe utilizing the Power5 chip when it debuts.
I agree. They should also have a non-rackmount server like the Apple Network Server 500/700 numerous years ago. That would be especially great with a Power4 or Power5 processor.

If they do use single and dual 1.8 GHz G5's, it will likely be due to small supplies of 2 GHz processors. When the current xServes were released, they were 1.33 GHz single and dual. That was not the fastest processor at the time. The Power Mac G4 had dual 1.42 GHz processors.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Virus for Unix: When a dumb user goes to root and accidentally types rm *

this has probably been pointed out, but rm * would only delete files, not directories, and there are no essential files that can't be replaced at the root level of the drive...

to be more anal, rm with the flag -r would remove the entire contents of a directory... so rm -r * would be the choice way to do this.

carry on.

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.