Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onesixeight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hello all...

I've been trying for dear life to connect my MBP w/Leopard to my Vista shared drives. I was able to right after installation and when I woke up today, it won't connect any longer.

I tried connect via SMB using ctrl + K and typing in my local IP which worked earlier, but now is giving me a error "Connection Failed: The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connections and try again." My network is working fine and my vista box is on as other computers can connect to it.

I heard that others maybe having issues connection leopard to windows, but i'm not sure if my problem is related.

Please help!!! Thank you so much!

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I had the exact same problem this morning, It just randomly started working on its own with me after fiddling for about half an hour, I have no idea what it was. Try rebooting maybe?:confused:

onesixeight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I remember at some point, it gave me an error saying it it had to disconnect my SMB shares and then it went out.

I can see my MBP on my vista machine and transfer files to it that way, but i can't see my vista machine from OSX.

Grrrrrrr...So much for buying a new MBP with Leopard.

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Is it possible that the IP address on the LAN for the Vista box has changed? That can happen under some circumstances. In other words, it can go from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.4, as an example. That would make the existing connection invalid.

Check the IP addresses and see what you find.

onesixeight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
My vista box has a static IP, so I don't think it has changed and I double checked that. :(

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
I am having the same problem having Leopard seeing windows machines running XP and Vista. At first they didn't show at all and I couldn't figure out why, then they appeared without me doing anything. Just as suddenly they have dropped off... and reappeared.

I'm seeing reports of this same type of issue many places. Nobody seems to understand what is happening or has there been a clear cause/solution.

I'm anxious to see a "fix" but this is clearly an issue.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
I just updated to 10.5 and now I cannot connect to my Windows 2003 Server using AFP, SMB works. I can connect to my Windows 2000 server via AFP though.

Any ideas?

Merser

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Please help!!

I can see my MBP on my vista machine and transfer files to it that way, but i can't see my vista machine from OSX.

I have this problem as well... My Vista Desktop sees my Macbook but not vise-versa I even tried the Command K trick discussed on other threads and still no luck.

Here is the weird part. I can connect to the PC's at work with no problem. They all show up as they should under "shared" on finder. They are running windows 2000 I believe.

Whats the deal?? I have tried everything I know of..

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
im having the same issue. it's a samba incompatibility. vista has a newer version that doesn't want to work with macs. you can revert it back to xp behavior by opening your registry and browsing to here:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\

in the right column look for 'lmcompatibilitylevel' and double click on it. change that '3' to a '1' and restart. the vista pc should show up on your network. now that it shows up, i still can't connect to the pc from my mac. only pc to mac works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.