Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
I was so excited to see one of these on the inside cover spread of the latest Macworld before they were released on Apple's site. They are a fantastic departure, and from a design standpoint (I'm a designer) they are gorgeously accomplished.

I love that Apple stuck with simplicity, while making the ads loud, proud and youthful. The play between silhouette and very slight 3-dimensionality is wonderful. And the posture of the models is so dynamic and energetic. Bravo to their incredible sales design team. I'd love to see something like this done for some of their other products, the iMac perhaps.

Anyway, I just had to say that out loud.

Joe

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Eh, they're alright. I'm not really a judge for advertising, though.

But, personally, I think that Apple needs better advertising. The G5 commercial sucks, in my opinion.

They need to bring back the G4 iMac commercial. The one where the iMac follows the guy's head, and then sticks out its optical drive. That was a good commercial, it made me laugh.

I've seen four Apple commercials in about 12 months. The G4 iMac, the 12"/17" PowerBooks, the G5s, and the iPod/iTMS commercials. And the only one I've seen more than once (on TV) is the iPod/iTMS ones.

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
I agree - the ads are dynamic, vibrant, musical.

Great way to associate the product with youthful tech savvy dopesters.

Love the shadow on the ipod from the person's hands BTW.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I wonder why steve doesnt have colors, say a yellow,red,blue,white,black,ipods? I think kids i mean the younger generation would go crazy for that. just like the fruity imacs. apple is missing out.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
they're nice and it's good to see some colors other thn silver and white but they are a bit dated. the whole two color illustration thing has been done to death in the design world. last year was a big year for this look. it's very unlike Apple to do anything "last year". nice, but a little late.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I wonder why steve doesnt have colors, say a yellow,red,blue,white,black,ipods? I think kids i mean the younger generation would go crazy for that. just like the fruity imacs. apple is missing out.

Yeah buy a apple only customizable plate?

Comeon every other month a new one?

:D

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
I think Apple should do something like the whole face plate thing for cell phones. If you don't want your ipod to look like everyone elses then pay $10 and get a new look. It'd also be another way of revenue for apple.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Well, with everyone always copying Apple's ad campaigns, maybe they're saying f you, we're going to copy what you did, and you know what, people will still like it better than the junk you make.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
At first look, they seem a bit overly in your face with the bright colors and all, but I agree with the whole design on it. They do have a lot of attention to detail that makes it a true Apple design. As far as making other colors, I'm sure if Apple doesn't do it and it's a big enough demand, that some third party would be willing to come out with colored covers or something. Personally, I enjoy the simple tasteful design/colors of the new Apple hardware products. But then again, my girlfriend says I always gravitate towards the plain side of things.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it is certainly a fresh and stylish approach, something that apple has lacked in many ways. it's not my style but it certainly has mass appeal, which is great.

don't even start with colored ipods... this has nothing to do with that. the color selection simply highlights what could be a big ad campaign.

pnw

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, I think these ads, in a way, are a throw back to the era where apple's products were very colorful. That was apple's fun stage, but since then Apple has matured and is now in its elegant and sleek phase. The color of the background helps give a contrast to emphasize the simplicity and elegance of their products.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
It seems like they should offer the ipods in different colors b/c when you click on the main ad, the page that pops up lets you select what color you want to see the ad in. Just seems kind of useless to let people select what color they want to see the ad in.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
It's interesting to see this style mainstreamed. As a designer, I've been seeing this style for a few years, and it's interesting to see Apple take it to the most corporate sense conceivable.

heh...I guess it's inevitable.

But just to call the next big fad, 80's style design with bright colors and hand-made techniques is next to become "cool". Ultra low-tech.

You heard it here first, folks. ;)

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by e-coli
It's interesting to see this style mainstreamed. As a designer, I've been seeing this style for a few years, and it's interesting to see Apple take it to the most corporate sense conceivable.

heh...I guess it's inevitable.

But just to call the next big fad, 80's style design with bright colors and hand-made techniques is next to become "cool". Ultra low-tech.

You heard it here first, folks. ;)

I agree. But it doesn't take a genius to realize that one. I mean, it's the people who grew up in the 80's that are now becoming the adults, so of course a nostalgic type of ad is what would hit home the most.

But good call, none the less.

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by LimeLite
Well, with everyone always copying Apple's ad campaigns, maybe they're saying f you, we're going to copy what you did, and you know what, people will still like it better than the junk you make.

lol

Never thought Apple would copy someone else. Usually Apple is always getting poorly copied. Maybe Apple is show other companies that it is possible to copy an idea and modify it to your own purposes without suckifying it.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
There ok. Looks like something that belongs in 'WIRED' mag.

What I'd like to see is a TV ad with that style of art. I've similar style done in a Flash type of animation.

~e

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Keith Purfield
The G5 commercial sucks, in my opinion.

I agree with you on that one.

Anyways, my 20 GB second generation ipod is already half as big as the new ipods, that was quick!

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
claimed designers

Oh come on people... those who claim their selves 'designer' haven't explained the new ad. Where is your image theory knowledge about Laswell, Shannon & Weaver, Palo Alto institute etc?

Lets have a 'short(!)' look in this ad:

You can see a black human silhouette with a white ipod on a colored background and the white text ‘iPod. The new 20GB and 40GB iPods. 10’000 songs in your pocket. For Mac and Windows.’ Aligned to the left.

The whole construction of the image is based on a positive line from bottom to top. The silhouettes aren't cropped on the head but at bottom. So the top part of the body is viewed; and top is positive. Also the arms build another axis with the ipod. As both axes are crossing in an oblique way the image has already a certain dynamic.

The forms represent a human body's silhouette. The body is on its base a rounded cross shape and by multiplying rounded with straight lines and cross them on multiple axis a dynamic image can be constructed. The ipod is also rounded but it is a stable rectangle form so it already sets apart from the rounded baroque body. The ipod is very small and the body big but his size difference reinforces dynamics.

Already there is the highest color contrast with white and black so the two objects are separated very hard but at the same time both are recognized with the same force. The background color is a big contrast to the black and white. Those colors have maxed hue, saturation and luminance. So those colors are very pure and are associated to something vital, living, happy, cheap and useful.

The textures are very smooth but not shiny so this can be associated to luxury, untouchable but still useful. The ipod has a more structured texture but it is still shiny so this stands in contrast to the rest by its more complex texture. Still the image of a toy and something of quality is sold already by the white color of the ipod that can be associated to something heavenly.

So the campaign points to a target public that is dynamic, young, trendy, educated but who may not have the money to afford that toy but as it seems like the ipod is something useful, high quality that can make them dynamic ore more dynamic it may be worth the money. The ipod sells more qualities by its design, it promises things to the client that may not be true but that is the way that ads work.

I will continue another time because I’m fed up but please don’t just say…hey I’m designer and I like it! Share your knowledge and explain why apple does now this campaign and not another. This shouldn’t be a show off. I just want to make the people more conscious about the power of an image.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Ok....I'm a designer and I am usually respect everyone's opinions. Especially when it comes to Art. Art as we know is in the eye of the beholder and what's good or bad is subjective. Now, with that said, "NEGRITO" you are the type of person I despised in Art School. The pretentious, therotical idiot, who have to explain OR MOST of the time pull SH** out of ther A s S in order to explain their work BECAUSE most of the time no one gets it and even after the explination(as in your post), leave most people scratchin' their heads. Mainly because they have NO IDEA what the heck you are talking about. It's real easy, to the individual(designer or not), it's either a cool piece of Art or it's not. That SIMPLE. Perhaps you missed the class in Art that was entitled, "Keep it simple stupid". It also holds true to the perception/interpretation of Art.

~e

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
You might want to edit your post a little bit. Mods don't like when things get personal. Keep it in PMs or keep it to yourself. (Just trying to keep you from being banned, they have low tolerance in these matters)

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Perhaps your right and apologies go out to "NEGRITO" if I offended you. Just as in his subject "Claimed Designers", I hope you can see through my post and see the GENERAL message to that GENERAL group of people.

~e

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: claimed designers

Originally posted by negrito
Oh come on people... those who claim their selves 'designer' haven't explained the new ad. Where is your image theory knowledge about Laswell, Shannon & Weaver, Palo Alto institute etc?

Lets have a 'short(!)' look in this ad:

A case study in design simplicity made unbearably arcane and laborious in a single coup de main.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I am a fan of the new ads as well, but 'faceplate iPods' is a bad idea. Imagine you are in your local mall and you see one of the booths (you know what I'm talking about). In with the mega-cheap cellphone cases and blinking antennas are el-cheapo iPod faceplates...with hideious junk painted/glued on them (see 'No Limit Tanks' and 'Kazaa Rocks' designs...). No thanks. I'll take the pure white design thank you very much.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Originally posted by Keith Purfield
The G5 commercial sucks, in my opinion.

I totally agree! They spend money on advertising, they should make it so it actually appeals to someone.

They need to bring back the G4 iMac commercial. The one where the iMac follows the guy's head, and then sticks out its optical drive. That was a good commercial, it made me laugh.

That was probably one of my favorite ads too. I've noticed that Apple's magazine ads are much better than their television ads though. And they always manage to get them in the opening cover, like in Time magazine.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Eclipse525 - there's one in every class at your school too?

edit: I wanted to say I think they should leave well enough alone with the iPod cases....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.