Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
i've been trying to get any information about this. i tried to "force quit" the process and it re-spawns. after it re-spawns it seems to be working.

anybody else having this issue?

applewiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
well, i'm here... have no clue what this is but i have the same UserEventAgent Not Responding in my Activity Monitor. Someone please help us figure this out, thanks.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
well, i'm here... have no clue what this is but i have the same UserEventAgent Not Responding in my Activity Monitor. Someone please help us figure this out, thanks.

hahaha! it's good to know that you are there :D

anyhow, i seem to have found what the issue is on my machine. my drivers for my tascam US122L. Looking thru my /var/log/system.log file, i saw some references to coreaudiod crashing. and this happens whenever i have the device connected. i tried to re-create the problem by removing the driver and re-installing it. as soon as i plugin the device, boom! same issue. now that i removed the driver completely, the UserEventAgent stays up.

the issue is now, i cannot use my device any longer :(

here's what i see on the logs

Code:
Nov  1 19:36:39 mackoy /usr/sbin/spindump[134]: process 117 is being monitored
Nov  1 19:36:46 mackoy kernel[0]: ...2 HUB(s) in path detected (including root hub)
Nov  1 19:36:46 mackoy kernel[0]: start PGKernelDeviceTascamUSB2 v1.2.4.0 success
Nov  1 19:36:47 mackoy kernel[0]: USBF: 49.359  AppleUSBEHCI[0x3b7b000]::UIMCreateBulkEndpoint: USB 2.0 Spec (5.8.3) converting MPS from 9 to 512
Nov  1 19:36:47 mackoy kernel[0]: terminate PGKernelDeviceTascamUSB2 v1.2.4.0
Nov  1 19:36:47 mackoy kernel[0]: ...2 HUB(s) in path detected (including root hub)
Nov  1 19:36:47 mackoy kernel[0]: start PGKernelDeviceTascamUSB2 v1.2.4.0 success
Nov  1 19:36:47 mackoy kernel[0]: USBF: 50.139  AppleUSBEHCI[0x3b7b000]::UIMCreateBulkEndpoint: USB 2.0 Spec (5.8.3) converting MPS from 9 to 512
Nov  1 19:36:50 mackoy ReportCrash[136]: Formulating crash report for process coreaudiod[105]
Nov  1 19:36:50 mackoy com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.audio.coreaudiod[105]): Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault
Nov  1 19:36:51 mackoy ReportCrash[136]: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/coreaudiod_2007-11-01-193646_mackoy.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0
Nov  1 19:37:00 mackoy kernel[0]: terminate PGKernelDeviceTascamUSB2 v1.2.4.0

applewiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
hey, me again... i was just coming back to tell you that i found that my digidesign core audio plug in (located in Library>Audio>Plug ins>HAL) was causing the problem. Deleted the plug in and n more 'not responding'... hmmm, obviously a similar issues. This is a lame question but how/where did you get the log in? Thanks!

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
coreaudio bug or driver issues

really interesting. i wonder if it is only the 3 of us that is having this issue right now :confused:

i got the log via "terminal", file is /var/log/system.log

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Me too! Installed Leopard two days ago, and have had this problem since. On both my G5 and my MacBook Pro. I'm also having a problem with my G5 indexing the spotlight but that's a whole other story! Would be happy if someone figured out what this problem is. Will attempt to look in logs

xzu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
hello guys, I'm new here... because... now we are 6 !

I got usereventagent in red
I also got coreaudio in red (well that is why I'm posting here due to previous messages)

I sample UserEventAgent in activity monitor :
Sampling process 1092 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling UserEventAgent (pid 1092) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
2286 Thread_2503
2286 0xffc
2286 0x25ec
2286 0x385c
2286 CFRunLoopRun
2286 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
2286 mach_msg
2286 mach_msg_trap
2286 mach_msg_trap
2286 Thread_2603
2286 _pthread_start
2286 AVS::DestroyAVCDeviceController(AVS::AVCDeviceController*)
2286 CFRunLoopRun
2286 mach_msg
2286 mach_msg_trap
2286 mach_msg_trap
2286 Thread_2703
2286 _pthread_start
2286 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*)
2286 HALRunLoop::OwnThread(void*)
2286 mach_msg
2286 mach_msg_trap
2286 mach_msg_trap

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
mach_msg_trap 6858
Sample analysis of process 1092 written to file /dev/stdout

Then same for coreaudio pid
Sampling process 1094 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling coreaudiod (pid 1094) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
2163 Thread_2503
2163 0xbfffff38
2163 0x2040
2163 0xcdf0
2163 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
2163 mach_msg
2163 mach_msg_trap
2163 mach_msg_trap
2163 Thread_2603
2163 _pthread_start
2163 AVS::DestroyAVCDeviceController(AVS::AVCDeviceController*)
2163 CFRunLoopRun
2163 mach_msg
2163 mach_msg_trap
2163 mach_msg_trap
2163 Thread_2703
2163 _pthread_start
2163 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*)
2163 HALRunLoop::OwnThread(void*)
2163 mach_msg
2163 mach_msg_trap
2163 mach_msg_trap

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
mach_msg_trap 6489
Sample analysis of process 1094 written to file /dev/stdout

1°) do you have the same issue on your sides ?
2°) what is
2163 AVS::DestroyAVCDeviceController(AVS::AVCDeviceController*)
?

For the record :
I'm PPC G5 dual 2Ghz
3 G ram
FCPro studio 2 user (used upgrade from previous studio)
Logic Pro Suite 1 (upgrade from Logic Pro 7)
Leopard retail DVD install using "install and archive old system"
+ Evolution Midi Keyboard

I hope we can fix this, and I'm sure it involves around audio driver, I'm ready to go into code stuff and terminal investigation, but alone, I don't know where to start.
thx for the help

xzu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Bad news,
I know exactly when the Tasks crashes and hangs... I have a Firewire Host Card that allow me to plug in USB and FW 400 drives

As soon as I plug in / switch on the drives, the tasks CoreAudio and EventUserAgent Crashes into Activity monitor.

I did not make the test when Drive is plugged onto built-in Firewire of The G5 (same bug for many friends, only on dual 2, 2.2, 2.7 ... Ghz PPC

Whith the help of a friend, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Dual PPC Extensions, because now I see what is "AVComponents"...

it is relative to VC.plugin IO service and IOFireWireAVC.kext the one that handles input and output to firewire.

Once I shut down drives and firewire access, all goes back to normal.

I don't get a thing to code, and kext in kernel, but if someone understands what is happening here, please help on reporting to Apple. Thx

sawaca

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Same

I have the same usereventagent (not responding) after installing Leopard

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
hey, me again... i was just coming back to tell you that i found that my digidesign core audio plug in (located in Library>Audio>Plug ins>HAL) was causing the problem. Deleted the plug in and n more 'not responding'... hmmm, obviously a similar issues. This is a lame question but how/where did you get the log in? Thanks!

Yep, that fixed it for me too. Great work wiz!

Looks like Digidesign need to get busy fixing my Pro Tools for Leopard.

bunkre

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
me too

Ive been getting this too, not I'm 90% sure its Digidesign Core Audio. I don't want to kill it yet though, cause its always such a pain in the ass to get Pro Tools up and running (update this, install that, no *this* core audio app now.. ugh)

I swear, every issue I've had upgrading OS's since 9.2 has been because of Digidesign. I'm sure they'll charge me for an upgrade now to make this work.

buzzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
usereventagent not responding - a fix for me

I opened the folder UserEventPlugins which can be found in System > Library > UserEventPlugins and moved all the plugins to another folder. You must then delete the plugins from the UserEventPlugins folder which requires authorization. I restarted and opened the Activity Monitor. UserEventAgent was working fine. I then added each plugin one at a time back to the UserEventPlugins folder with a restart in between (which incidentally takes forever since installing Leopard). I kept adding, restarting then checking Activity Monitor until UserEventAgent stopped responding. I finally found the culprit. It was BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin. Since I removed it UserEventAgent is working fine - so far. :)

As it happens I'm not using any Bluetooth items. Hope this helps.

Also for some odd reason all the plugins in the UserEventPlugins folder show up as Adobe Photoshop plug-in files - go figure.

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
For anyone else interested:

I have confirmed the above post fixed this on my MBP C2D running 10.5.0, later upgraded to 10.5.1 where the problem persisted.

"BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin.plugin" was the culprit for me.
Also notable however, on other threads, people have blamed DigiDesign & ProTools which I have installed (DigiCoreAudio as well).

While I do have ProTools installed on my system the BluetoothUserAgent was the problem for me. I removed the file, save it in case you need it later. I really don't know what it does. I have an iPhone, so I don't use BT that much these days. Probably related to listening for other BT devices?

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles

Worked for me, too. Thanks....

By the way -- are you guys aware that officially, Pro Tools is definitely *not* Leopard-compatible, yet? Digidesign has made that very clear, so I was actually surprised to see that so many guys, here, who use PT had upgraded to Leopard.

My main Digital Performer/PT machine is still running Tiger, for that very reason. But due to other incompatibility issues (with certain 3rd-party Virtual Instruments), I'm not able to upgrade to PT 7.4 on the Tiger machine.

So I recently installed PT 7.4 on my MacBook Pro (which was already running Leopard), just to play with elastic audio. A friend who works closely with Digidesign told me "it might work, since you won't be running a complex setup on your MBP." So I installed it -- but started getting random freezes, as well as the UserEventPlugins issue in Activity Monitor. Googling "UserEventPlugins" brought me to this thread, so thanks to you who identified the culprit.

Bottom line: Be very cautious if attempting to run PT on Leopard Machines. Who knows what other havoc is taking place under the hood.

bgiancola

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Saratoga, CA
UserEventAgent not responding

I opened the folder UserEventPlugins which can be found in System > Library > UserEventPlugins and moved all the plugins to another folder. You must then delete the plugins from the UserEventPlugins folder which requires authorization. I restarted and opened the Activity Monitor. UserEventAgent was working fine. I then added each plugin one at a time back to the UserEventPlugins folder with a restart in between (which incidentally takes forever since installing Leopard). I kept adding, restarting then checking Activity Monitor until UserEventAgent stopped responding. I finally found the culprit. It was BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin. Since I removed it UserEventAgent is working fine - so far. :)

As it happens I'm not using any Bluetooth items. Hope this helps.

Also for some odd reason all the plugins in the UserEventPlugins folder show up as Adobe Photoshop plug-in files - go figure.

Removing the BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin also worked for me. Thanks buzzz! :D

CmdrTulkas

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
What negative side effects would removing the "HAL" folder or "BluetoothUserAgentPlugin.plugin" file?

I use bluetooth on my Macbook Pro for several things, mostly importantly syncing with my phone.

Yup......

I just trashed the BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin and my red UserEventAgent problem is GONE!!! WOO HOO!!!

that has been bothering me for a LONG time.

I have 10.5.4 with current Firmware. I have been having some other issues with performance, but this has also been going off like clockwork. It's now black text and operating normally. FINALLY I found this thread :)

thanks guys!

i knew 10.5 would be quirky.....lol....

jawknee

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
California
More info on UserEventAgent and Lockups

I was seeing lockups - seemingly random - but every time I sent mail, most times when starting up Mail, always when leaving it open for a while. I'd see it every time ran iTunes, once with image grabber, etc.

Found the problem. My sounds are going out through Core Audio to my Mbox 2. This has worked for some time - until I moved my Belkin USB hub to another Mac and put a new Kensington DomeHub in its place. The DomeHub alone is sufficient to put up the UserEventAgent (not Responding) message - but not enough to cause the lockup problem until the Mbox was hooked up. It was the various apps trying to make sound that caused the lockup.

Moving the Mbox2 to a main USB port on the Mac G5 solved the problem and allows me to use the Mbox2 for sounds and mixing.

Hope this helps.
-jk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.