Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caj

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Illinois, United States
yo, i'm a fan of keeping the forums clean and i wouldn't know how to search for my question, so here it goes

can apple tv sync anything in your itunes library, or just things in ipod format

like home movie, dvd rips, etc.

AND... is there some hack to where you can use it as a tivo and maybe even sync live tv wirelessly to your computers hard drive

thanks, caj ;)

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
yo, i'm a fan of keeping the forums clean and i wouldn't know how to search for my question, so here it goes

can apple tv sync anything in your itunes library, or just things in ipod format

AND... is there some hack to where you can use it as a tivo and maybe even sync live tv wirelessly to your computers hard drive

thanks, caj ;)

The apple website says which formats the appletv is capable of playing.

You can modify the appletv to play other formats, see websites like appletvhacks.net and awkwardtv.org.

You can rip dvds to a suitable format using the software handbrake.

There is no hack for live tv or recording. But you could use an eyetv on a mac which can put recordings into itunes which you can then sync to the appletv.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA

thanks, caj ;)

To answer your unasked question and, in the spirit of keeping this clean, you can add any movie you like to iTunes as long as it has been encoded (converted) to H.264 format.

If you have original source, like a DVD you purchased, you can use (the brilliant and free) MacTheRipper to copy the DVD to your hard drive, then use another free & brilliant program, Handbrake, to convert the ripped DVD to H.264 format. You can then add that movie to your iTunes library and watch it on your :apple:TV.

If you have a clip or movie you made or some friend made and gave you, it might have to be converted to H.264 to be viewed. Quicktime (Pro) among other products can do that conversion for you.

As far as live is concerned, this is not supported by design. (The following is an oversimplification:) The idea of this box is that it is (sort of) an iPod that connects to your TV and lets you view and hear everything that's in your computer's iTunes. It can stream wirelessly from your computer, too, as long as the movie/music is in your iTunes library.

YouTube is supported, which is live, but that's about it.

-- Mikie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.