Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:15 AM   #1
superspiffy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to superspiffy
InsomniaX for Leopard?

Since Leopard broke InsomniaX, I need a new no-sleep program.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:20 AM   #2
NeoSurge
macrumors newbie

Wait a bit

They are already working on a fix and are most of the way there. Just give it few more days and they should have it.

Cheers
NeoSurge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:51 AM   #3
psychofreak
Retired

If you want it NOW, you can pay for Sleepless
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:28 AM   #4
JudgeDanny
macrumors regular

it looks like it's ready for leopard now

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22211
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:22 AM   #5
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
this has always puzzled me!? im assuming people use insomniax to download overnight. why not just set your computer to sleep "never" in the energy saver prefs and turn down the screen brightness?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:39 PM   #6
JimmyDThing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
this has always puzzled me!? im assuming people use insomniax to download overnight. why not just set your computer to sleep "never" in the energy saver prefs and turn down the screen brightness?
You're right.... but it's a bit of a pain to keep changing the settings.

I use insomniax for watching movies on my TV mostly though.
JimmyDThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
well you could always plug in the power along with the dvi adapter and a audio cable then close then lid and then plug in a usb mouse to wake it up. but whatever suits your fancy. ive always hated apps that interfere with the macbook's default sleep settings.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:17 PM   #8
adjei7
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
I don't just use it for downloading over night (in fact I never do). I just use it in general. I like to close my Macbook and know that it's not gonna go anywhere (like to sleep). If i'm using airport and I wanna close the mac (which is generally what I do if i'm moving around), it cuts off (only when I use a vpn mind, which I like to use at school for secure connection). How annoying is that, to have to open up cisco connect multiple times?

Also, I like to shut down, and close the lid, knowing that it will turn itself off nicely, without it wanting to go to sleep half way through. You can't do that without InsomiaX or other such programmes.

Not being able to close the lid without it sleeping was one feature that really got on my nerves when I first switched to Mac. It was like the choice was taken away from me. It's standard in PC's and don't know why it shouldn't be in Macs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, but I get picky over some of the little things like this.

K
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:42 AM   #9
JimmyDThing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjei7 View Post
Not being able to close the lid without it sleeping was one feature that really got on my nerves when I first switched to Mac. It was like the choice was taken away from me. It's standard in PC's and don't know why it shouldn't be in Macs.
Agreed. What's wrong with a program that alters the default sleep settings? One of the reasons I love my mac is because you can "mess with" everything... Apple has their way that they think it should be used, but leaves it open for developers to change it.

I also really don't like that you can't set it to not fall asleep when you close the lid... it's natural to close the lid when leaving for a second... IE.) to go to the bathroom... and there's no real reason to put it to sleep.

I know I could plug in a USB mouse... but I mean, I just want to hook up my MacBook to the TV and watch a movie... I didn't have a mouse with the MacBook when I first got it so my only choice was to grab one from my girlfriends PC... which was a hassle because she couldn't use her PC and I had to unplug and plug it in every time I wanted to use it... I'm not going to buy a mouse so that I can close the lid and watch movies... that just doesn't make sense. I do have BT mouse now, but I don't use it often and it's just less of a hassle to open up an application.
JimmyDThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X