Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:29 AM   #1
OwlsAndApples
macrumors 6502a

What's with the price difference!? (Adobe on Amazon)

Adobe Design Standard CS3 Mac Student = 162.48

Adobe Design Standard CS3 Mac = 950.98

That's a difference of almost 800 ($1600!)

There's also a third option: (non-student as well) = 688.99

I am a student so i'm not complaining, but why such a massive difference in price? Am I missing something here - (awaits revelation of the obvious truth)
OwlsAndApples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

No big surprise, Adobe knows that art students don't have 950 to throw around.
irishgrizzly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:16 AM   #3
klymr
macrumors 65816

Adobe loves students!

The third one is an upgrade. The first one is a student license. The software functions the same.
klymr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a

Adobe has given Student discounts for what seems like forever now. It's a great deal for students, and it's the complete software...but, in the license agreement it states that it cannot be used for commercial (making money) use. They do this so you can learn on it, but to make money on the software, you have to buy the full version. What's great, you can upgrade from a student version to a full version for the same price that you could upgrade from a regular version to a new regular version.

-JE
JasonElise1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5
LeviG
macrumors 65816

Its a lot more sinister than the simple adobe loves student idea. If adobe (and others) gives their software away for cheap or free they get more people using them. This in return makes people become accustomed to/reliant on their programs only and as such allow the company to keep the ridiculously high prices (compared to programs which can do the same for a lot less) and maintain the profits.
Its the same with printing companies - they make us all use set programs which happen to be, yep you guessed it mainly adobe because thats what they had when they were students in graphic design etc.
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6
OwlsAndApples
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonElise1983 View Post
...but, in the license agreement it states that it cannot be used for commercial (making money) use. They do this so you can learn on it, but to make money on the software, you have to buy the full version. What's great, you can upgrade from a student version to a full version for the same price that you could upgrade from a regular version to a new regular version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG View Post
If adobe (and others) gives their software away for cheap or free they get more people using them. This in return makes people become accustomed to/reliant on their programs only and as such allow the company to keep the ridiculously high prices (compared to programs which can do the same for a lot less) and maintain the profits.
Its the same with printing companies - they make us all use set programs which happen to be, yep you guessed it mainly adobe because thats what they had when they were students in graphic design etc.
I had guessed it would be to do with licensing, thanks for letting me know that it is simple to upgrade to the 'commercial' version.

Yeah, I definitely would never be able to afford anything other than the student option, which presents my only chance to use CS3 software.

Thanks, I definitely know which version to go for
OwlsAndApples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7
belovedmonster
macrumors regular

There's an argument that Adobe secretly like that their software is pirated by so many (amateur) people, since it keeps them the number 1 choice when people then find themselves in the position of needing a legit copy as a professional.

So yeah... same principle with the Student pricing. Its kinda like a loss leader to get you into the store.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonElise1983 View Post
...but, in the license agreement it states that it cannot be used for commercial (making money) use.
Simply incorrect, unless you happen to be in Australia.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:04 PM   #9
creator2456
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedmonster View Post
There's an argument that Adobe secretly like that their software is pirated by so many (amateur) people, since it keeps them the number 1 choice when people then find themselves in the position of needing a legit copy as a professional.

So yeah... same principle with the Student pricing. Its kinda like a loss leader to get you into the store.
I have to agree with this idea. They discount the programs as to be affordable for people just entering the respective 'program' world so as to allow many more people to become comfortable with the program. It is amazing how much of a premium people will pay just to feel comfortable.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics