Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

"Apple Has Destroyed the Music Business"

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: "Apple Has Destroyed the Music Business"
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

"It wasn't just about experimenting on the price points for digital downloads. NBC was also asking for a cut of Apple's iPod sales, at least at some point in the negotiations."

Apple has done nothing but to help the music business.... its the Big 4 that are destroying it (and themselves)
Drumjim85 is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:20 PM   #3
HyperZboy
macrumors 65816

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, will anybody be buying advertising in the forest?

That's my opinion of Hulu.com. None of these companies "get it".

NBC Universal will come crawling back to iTunes or Amazon after eventually folding Hulu.com just like Sony did with it's music service. It'll be interesting to see what Zucker's excuse is a year or 2 from now when the thing bombs and he has to explain to stockholders why he cost NBC Universal so much money in lost sales.
HyperZboy is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:20 PM   #4
elppa
macrumors 68040

Hilarious!

iTunes Store is the only widely adopted legal download website. Not only that, the Record Labels get a huge cut for the sales.

Would they rather people resorted to piracy?
elppa is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:24 PM   #5
amancalledsun
macrumors newbie

Apple destroyed the music business? I don't think so. You can't have a business without a product or services, so we first need to examine who destroyed music to understand who destroyed the business based on it.

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the major players at fault with destroying music are, in order: (1) the media, for continuing to give air time and "celebrity" news to people who are doing nothing to further music as an art, (2) Anteres Audio Technologies, for creating the the auto-tuner, thereby allowing Britney et al. to record trash that somehow magically stays in tune and on key (even while performing it live), and (3) the public for not noticing that (1) is actually the same marketing machine that promotes this narrowing, talentless field of hacks. It is rare indeed these days to find any worthwhile music being put out by a major label.

Given the evidence, is it any wonder that people have finally stopped buying crap? So, the major labels and their mainstream media affiliates ("NBC Universal", anyone?) have destroyed music. And somehow they expect to still have a business selling a product of ever-decreasing quality. No, Apple didn't destroy the music business.
amancalledsun is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperZboy View Post
If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, will anybody be buying advertising in the forest?

That's my opinion of Hulu.com. None of these companies "get it".

NBC Universal will come crawling back to iTunes or Amazon after eventually folding Hulu.com just like Sony did with it's music service. It'll be interesting to see what Zucker's excuse is a year or 2 from now when the thing bombs and he has to explain to stockholders why he cost NBC Universal so much money in lost sales.
NBC is still using Amazon.
Peace is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:27 PM   #7
kkat69
macrumors 68020

Apple and iTunes were a pioneer for the music industry. In fact more people are breaking out IN the music industry due to iTunes (ie., typically called noName Bands)

Steve Jobs has a simple business model and it's just that. "Keep it simple"

The other companies and music companies want to much money.

Some people say "why do I have to pay 99c for a song that's 50yrs old?" Well if you can't find that song I think 99c is a deal or goto eBay and bid on the album.

There's always the piracy route via torrents etc. But for those of us who are somewhat honest I don't see 99c a big deal. If fact it almost works out the price for a full album on iTunes and in Walmart the cost is almost the same (well not really but it's pretty close).

Experiementing with the Video is one thing, but to label the article "Apple Has Destroyed the Music Business" and all they talk about is experimental with the price of video's just entices rage against iTunes.

I think iTunes is doing the best job it can with what it has. Sure they need more shows and more complete seasons *cough*enterprise: seasons2-4*cough* but they are also at the mercy of the people who own the rights for distribution. If they won't give iTunes the shows, iTunes can't show them (and people don't understand that and still blame iTunes)

Keep up the good work iTunes.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:48 PM   #8
ViveLeLivre
macrumors regular

Idiot.

I might not like $.99 per song without exceptions or competition, but I haven't downloaded an illegal MP3 since I bought my iPod. The record industry wouldn't have received a penny for my downloaded songs in any other way. Frankly, my use of the iPod and iTunes has only increased the rate at which I purchase CD's, since I'm no longer discouraged by the pain/fear of buying bad albums.
ViveLeLivre is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:54 PM   #9
calculus
macrumors 68040

The Music Business (whatever that is) is destroying itself by releasing rubbish records by rubbish acts...
calculus is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:11 PM   #10
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

This comment is bound for The Hall of Fame

of the Dumbest Comments of All Time.

It's going right there among "Everything that can be invented has been invented" and "Steve Jobs ought to shut down Apple and give the money back to the shareholders."

I feel sorry for poor Mother Zucker.
macFanDave is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:12 PM   #11
notnek
macrumors 6502

If iTunes did anything, it saved the music industry from taking a deep dive into the piracy sea without a lifejacket. NBC will be back, even if it takes Apple and NBC compromising to make the deal.
notnek is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
Would they rather people resorted to piracy?
No, but they still have the audacity to wonder why.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:18 PM   #13
zombitronic
macrumors 65816

Wanna screw the music industry? Never buy a new CD again. Borrow (from friends or the library) or buy a used CD, rip it to your computer (in a higher quality than iTunes sells,) and return it or sell it back to the used record store that you bought it from. The industry gets no additional revenue, you end up paying less than 99 per song (when you sell the album back,) and you support you local used music retailer.

And Apple still sells millions and millions of iPods.
zombitronic is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
The Music Business (whatever that is) is destroying itself by releasing rubbish records by rubbish acts...
Well said.

And the only thing being "destroyed" is greedy record executives' wallets.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:26 PM   #15
rikers_mailbox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
And the only thing being "destroyed" is greedy record executives' wallets.
You got it. The only thing destroyed was the big labels' ability to fleece customers. Music is overpriced and far too controlled by record labels and their agenda. Apple is bringing power, distribution, and content creation back to the artist.

I'm glad Apple destroyed the music business.
rikers_mailbox is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:53 PM   #16
jklps
macrumors regular

I've loved and participated in music for much longer then being an Apple person and think this statement is crazy.

To put in perspective, if given the choice I'd give up Apple computers 100 times before giving up music.

Thankfully I'll never have to.
jklps is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:04 PM   #17
Ugg
macrumors 68000

The time has come for Apple to work with the labels. The idea of one price for all songs is pretty stupid. What record store do you know of doesn't sell different albums at different prices? Yep, you got it, none.

What Apple needs to do is offer something like this:

$7.99 per album or $.79 per song for the second rate stuff.

$9.99 per album or $.99 per song for strong selling stuff.

$11.99 per album or $1.19 per song for hot new releases.

All music isn't created equal, nor should it be sold all for the same price. It's really stupid on their part not to show some flexibility. They've got the market sewn up, now is the time to expand it, not shrink it.

However, I do agree that Zucker and all the other label CEOs are incredibly stupid. Why bite the hand of the only company that is showing them the way forward?

They're all going to regret their pomposity in the end.
Ugg is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:12 PM   #18
jklps
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
The time has come for Apple to work with the labels. The idea of one price for all songs is pretty stupid. What record store do you know of doesn't sell different albums at different prices? Yep, you got it, none.
Actually if a somewhat decent band that is actually on a label comes out with a new album it's usually cheaper that first week at the wonderful Best Buys and Circuit S%*ty ...to get people into the store to buy something else...like 11.99.
jklps is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:43 PM   #19
baleensavage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post
of the Dumbest Comments of All Time.

It's going right there among "Everything that can be invented has been invented" and "Steve Jobs ought to shut down Apple and give the money back to the shareholders."

I feel sorry for poor Mother Zucker.
Oh yeah, definitely one of the dumber things that have been said. I don't know who he's kidding but Apple saved the music industry's keister. Before iTunes, there was Napster (the illegal one). Yup that's right and the music industry was failing before iTunes came along. Now digital music is thriving and Apple is at the forefront. The music industry is just jealous that Apple has been so successful. They want all their money to themselves. If iTunes killed the music industry then iTunes would have been dead long ago.
baleensavage is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:59 PM   #20
jklps
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleensavage View Post
Oh yeah, definitely one of the dumber things that have been said. I don't know who he's kidding but Apple saved the music industry's keister. Before iTunes, there was Napster (the illegal one). Yup that's right and the music industry was failing before iTunes came along. Now digital music is thriving and Apple is at the forefront. The music industry is just jealous that Apple has been so successful. They want all their money to themselves. If iTunes killed the music industry then iTunes would have been dead long ago.
It's harder to hide BS profit now without actual physical distribution too....
jklps is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:20 PM   #21
MacSween
macrumors newbie

With zero media cost iTunes has got to be a better way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklps View Post
It's harder to hide BS profit now without actual physical distribution too....
As a distribution model iTunes has to be better than hardcopys like CD's or DVD's. There is no media production cost, no inventory to maintain, no shipping cost. A single digital copy just sits there until somebody decides that they want to purchase it. Then a new copy is created from nothing and downloaded to a PC/MAC.

The purchaser provides their own media!! How much better can it get for the Music industry????

They just want to be able to charge the same price as they did when they also provided the media. That translates into HUGH profits.
MacSween is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:57 PM   #22
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
Exactly correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombitronic View Post
buy a used CD, rip it to your computer (in a higher quality than iTunes sells,) and return it or sell it back to the used record store that you bought it from. The industry gets no additional revenue, you end up paying less than 99 per song (when you sell the album back,) and you support you local used music retailer.
Yep, that's what I mainly do. Of course, I still have five thousand LPs to rip........
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:07 PM   #23
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
What iTunes Music Store do you know of [which] doesn't sell different albums at different prices? Yep, you got it: none.

Quote:
What Apple needs to do is offer something like this:

$7.99 per album or $.79 per song for the second rate stuff.

$9.99 per album or $.99 per song for strong selling stuff.

$11.99 per album or $1.19 per song for hot new releases.

All music isn't created equal, nor should it be sold all for the same price. It's really stupid on their part not to show some flexibility. They've got the market sewn up, now is the time to expand it, not shrink it.
How does this "expand" the market?

The current situation is great. I hear a song I like, I know it will cost me $0.99 to buy. No bargain hunting, no dickering, no fine print. 99 cents. One buck. That's it.

If I like an album, a little more money's at stake. I tend to bargain hunt there (or, rather, wait it out for a sale). Still, I end up not buying more albums than I impulse-buy because of this. I have found that most of the time these days I follow the iTunes model: download the songs I've heard and like individually, then if I decide I still like the band and what they're doing a week later, buy the rest of the album for a few bucks more (significantly cheaper than buying the CD, even from a discount bin, and a lot less hassle).

In your model, you introduce doubt. If I like this song, what are the chances the label considers it a "hit"? What would compel the label to put out anything other than "hits", for that matter? This is way too much thinking to do over a single 3-minute song. This isn't a car purchase. This is an entertainment purchase. If I spend as much time dickering over the price as I do listening to the song, something is seriously wrong with the world!

Go to Home Depot some day. Look at the wall of little packets of screws and washers and nuts and bolts. Do you see variable pricing there? No. Every packet (which may contain different counts of the hardware) has the same price. They contain differing amounts of raw metal (although similar) and thus cost quite different amounts to produce. Still, they're all priced identically. There's no reason to dicker over the $0.79 you are spending there. Now, turn around and look at the larger boxes of the exact same hardware. Notice anything? That's right: the large-quantity boxes are carefully priced, almost as many price points as there are different SKUs!

This is a common economic model. Once you start dealing with micro-payment sized transactions, uniformity is more influential to market share and overall market growth than point savings introduced at the cost of price variability.
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:34 PM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombitronic View Post
Wanna screw the music industry? Never buy a new CD again. Borrow (from friends or the library) or buy a used CD, rip it to your computer (in a higher quality than iTunes sells,) and return it or sell it back to the used record store that you bought it from. The industry gets no additional revenue, you end up paying less than 99 per song (when you sell the album back,) and you support you local used music retailer.

And Apple still sells millions and millions of iPods.
you know by doing that you are also priating. When you return/sell the cd used you are supposed to delete any music you ripped. So going that route you are still pirating music
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:51 PM   #25
leekohler
Banned

The music business destroyed the music business. Their first bad move was going after Napster. That was the beginning of their end. Instead of embracing new tech and using it to their advantage, they tried to squash it.They could have done all sorts of things through Napster, now they'll have to do it through iTunes.

The record industry also inflated their prices, making iTunes all that more attractive. If they wanted to compete, they blew their opportunity and underestimated the consumer. It's their own fault, plain as day.
leekohler is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion