Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hey

I own an MBP which is - as of yesterday - running Leopard. I have also installed all the updates Apple issued in the last couple of days

My wireless network is provided by a Netgear router - bog standard 108mbp model

A few weeks ago - while running Tiger - I started experiencing issues with my wireless connection. Everything had been fine until I tried connecting my MBP to the router via ethernet cable. It didnt seem to work, so I disconnected
Perhaps this is just a co-incidence, but worth raising.

Since this point, nearly everytime I close the laptop's lid and then re-open, it 'loses' the connection to my wireless network - no automatic reconnection occurs. It works occasionally, but not often

To remedy this, I have to go into System Prefs --> Network --> Assist Me --> Diagnostics --> then I look for my closed network (which uses WEP 40/128-bit hex). I am then able to reconnect to the network - the Airport signal guage at the top of the screen activates as normal.

Since installing Leopard, the issue seems to have gotten 'weirder'. Instead of just failing to connect, OSX now brings up a 'network chooser' box asking me if I want to join one of the networks it has detected. I've tried connecting to my closed network... but then it says 'Connection Timeout'. I'm unsure why I'm able to reconnect via System Prefs, but not via this 'network chooser'

Hopefully this has made sense. It's certainly a pain in a backside.
Note that I've checked the router and it works ok with my ethernet wired PCs and my crappy Dell laptop

Cheers

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Hey

I own an MBP which is - as of yesterday - running Leopard. I have also installed all the updates Apple issued in the last couple of days

My wireless network is provided by a Netgear router - bog standard 108mbp model

A few weeks ago - while running Tiger - I started experiencing issues with my wireless connection. Everything had been fine until I tried connecting my MBP to the router via ethernet cable. It didnt seem to work, so I disconnected
Perhaps this is just a co-incidence, but worth raising.

Since this point, nearly everytime I close the laptop's lid and then re-open, it 'loses' the connection to my wireless network - no automatic reconnection occurs. It works occasionally, but not often

To remedy this, I have to go into System Prefs --> Network --> Assist Me --> Diagnostics --> then I look for my closed network (which uses WEP 40/128-bit hex). I am then able to reconnect to the network - the Airport signal guage at the top of the screen activates as normal.

Since installing Leopard, the issue seems to have gotten 'weirder'. Instead of just failing to connect, OSX now brings up a 'network chooser' box asking me if I want to join one of the networks it has detected. I've tried connecting to my closed network... but then it says 'Connection Timeout'. I'm unsure why I'm able to reconnect via System Prefs, but not via this 'network chooser'

Hopefully this has made sense. It's certainly a pain in a backside.
Note that I've checked the router and it works ok with my ethernet wired PCs and my crappy Dell laptop

Cheers

That is strange. I know that my friend has started experiencing the same thing on his DLink router. He stopped SSID broadcasting, and then added WPA-PSK encryption to the network. Well, everything was going swimmingly, but then, once he took his laptop out of his apartment, and used it at Panera, it now asks him every time it wakes up or restarts for the network information. This is on Leopard by the way.

Unmasking the SSID seemed to fix the problem for him. Are you broadcasting the SSID for your router?

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
That is strange. I know that my friend has started experiencing the same thing on his DLink router. He stopped SSID broadcasting, and then added WPA-PSK encryption to the network. Well, everything was going swimmingly, but then, once he took his laptop out of his apartment, and used it at Panera, it now asks him every time it wakes up or restarts for the network information. This is on Leopard by the way.

Unmasking the SSID seemed to fix the problem for him. Are you broadcasting the SSID for your router?

hey dude

no, I'm not broadcasting - always been advised not to for security reasons (maybe that's cr*p advice tho!)

i'll try broadcasting, connecting, closing the lid and then opening again - let's see

cheers

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Its a Leopard thing, happens to me. It also is a bit weird see the pic below.

Picture 1.png

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Still no luck

Network SSID is now broadcasting, closed lid, opened lid.... 'Network Chooser' appears. I tried to connect to the broadcasting network - let's call it 'Liamski' - but get the "Connection Timeout" message after a few seconds

I also found an article on the apple site about deleting an old airport file but that didnt work either

very very annoying!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I also found an article on the apple site about deleting an old airport file but that didnt work either

Link please.

I hate the "Connection Timeout" it happens after about 3 seconds, hardly trying. If i give incorrect password details it'll tell me but connection timeout, what is that about.

CarpetMonster

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
It happens to me too since upgrading to Leopard on my SR MBP. Turning the wireless off and on again a few times sorts it out, or in some cases I need to reboot.

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
It happens to me too since upgrading to Leopard on my SR MBP. Turning the wireless off and on again a few times sorts it out, or in some cases I need to reboot.

Yeah, that's a workaround but ultimately we shouldnt need to do this should we?

illmaticone

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
I have the same problem, in fact i registered to post about it!

i have a MB, and everything i close the lid and open it back up i dont have access to my network... it IS connected to the AP, but safari says i have no internet connection, i cant access my shared drives.. etc. in tiger this would happen sometimes, but not to this extent. if i disable the AirPort and enable it again to reconnect to my Access Point, i still have limited functionality....

another example.. lets say im connected and everything is fine, if i manually turn off the Air Port, and reconnect. i will have limited connectivity.

This is very annoying because i never shut my MB off... i just close the lid.

another note..

Broadcasting, WPA2 Personal, Linksys WRT350N and Leopard.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am assuming everybody's updated their router to latest firmware? Older firmware can sometimes be the problem.

illmaticone

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
anyone using the 802.11N enabler? (i am) i am doing a fresh install (AGAIN) today. this is very annoyting

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I think this is a MBP on Leopard bug. My son just puchased a new MBP an he's losing his wireless connection often. I imagine Apple will release an Leopard update soon.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
i am having some wireless problems on this as well.

MY MBP was upgraded to Leopard, and i have had some problems staying connected at times.

I also have major problems using the Verizon Wireless card, which doesnt work stable as well

dap1215

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
I was having sorta the same issue, I would loose connection to my network every day or so.. Normally after I woke my MBP up after sleepy time. I updated my firmware on my Linksys router and all has been fine since on tiger and leapard. Give that a try and see what happens. i know that you dont have a linksys, but give it a shot.. Only takes a min..

Peace

Dave

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I was having sorta the same issue, I would loose connection to my network every day or so.. Normally after I woke my MBP up after sleepy time. I updated my firmware on my Linksys router and all has been fine since on tiger and leapard. Give that a try and see what happens. i know that you dont have a linksys, but give it a shot.. Only takes a min..

Peace

Dave

hey dave

i'm using a netgear router and upgraded the firmware last night. Alas, no luck... very annoying

I'm going to take the plunge and head to the nearest Apple Store using Applecare - wish me luck!

liamski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I agree completely. It's annoying, and also the no keyboard (and even rarer no mouse) response from waking from deep sleep too.

I've had that aswell.. you practically have to chunk the macbook out of the window to get a response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.