Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I really love GIMP and in the past months i have learned alot, see the iphone nano concept thread (look from the first page to the last), my mockups went from pretty bad too showable ;) and i learned how to use any feautures in Gimp, but there's one thing i really need that i didn't really find.

I want to make a rectangle in gimp but with the corners really rounded like this:

they can even be more rounded. Can i do this with standard Gimp.app or do i need a plugin? i've been searching in the Gimp forums around for plugins like that but couldn't find anything. I would really like to be able to do this.

I tried doing it with feather edges, but that doesn't really work.

Thanks,
Lorenz

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
You could use four circles at corners, connect them by using four rectangles and paint inside of all of them to the color you want. A bit of work, but once you have it at the size you need, you could probably save and reuse it.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
You could use four circles at corners, connect them by using four rectangles and paint inside of all of them to the color you want. A bit of work, but once you have it at the size you need, you could probably save and reuse it.

didn't think of that! it could use it, but is there really nothing simpler?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It's very simple to do. Make a rectangular selection > Go under the Select Menu > Choose Rounded Rectangle > Pick your options > and tada. Then you just fill the selection or whatever.

FloEppo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
Make a rectangle selection with rounded corners. Then use Select -> To Path . Then use Edit -> Stroke Selection and chose the thickness of your rectangle.
WARNING! It really works!

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
It's very simple to do. Make a rectangular selection > Go under the Select Menu > Choose Rounded Rectangle > Pick your options > and tada. Then you just fill the selection or whatever.

i don't have that option :(, only soften...
adding the soft + the tip of FLoEppo it works a little

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome

This works for me.

i don't have that option :(, only soften...
adding the soft + the tip of FLoEppo it works a little

Which version of GIMP are you using? Gimp.app (which is currently 2.2.11) certainly has this option.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
This works for me.

Which version of GIMP are you using? Gimp.app (which is currently 2.2.11) certainly has this option.

the latest one, the first option works also, but then it fades away just like feather edges.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
the latest one, the first option works also, but then it fades away just like feather edges.

Well the latest latest Gimp is 2.4.1, but the binary version hasn't been created for Mac yet, but you may have got installed another way. In this newest version the rounded corners is in the side panel. It's described on their release page under the Selection Tool section, which is the third section down the page.

If that still doesn't reveal the option then you're using a different Gimp install than the one at the Gimp.org web site. There have been others created such as GimpShop.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Well the latest latest Gimp is 2.4.1, but the binary version hasn't been created for Mac yet, but you may have got installed another way. In this newest version the rounded corners is in the side panel. It's described on their release page under the Selection Tool section, which is the third section down the page.

If that still doesn't reveal the option then you're using a different Gimp install than the one at the Gimp.org web site. There have been others created such as GimpShop.

i actually don't know wich version i tought it was the latest, where can i see wich version it is, it doens't come up in the get info window, my gimp runs with X11. and i don't see the rounded rectangle thing.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
i actually don't know wich version i tought it was the latest, where can i see wich version it is, it doens't come up in the get info window, my gimp runs with X11. and i don't see the rounded rectangle thing.

To find the version: go to the left panel, which has all of the tools on it, and go under the Help menu. Then pick the About Gimp option and it'll pop up a window that also has the version on it.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
To find the version: go to the left panel, which has all of the tools on it, and go under the Help menu. Then pick the About Gimp option and it'll pop up a window that also has the version on it.

once I am back on my macbook I check it. But really thanks on all the help. I think that I have the gimp version before the latest one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.