Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Time Machine's User Interface over the top?

• Yes, and I LOVE it!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Yes, and I HATE it!

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • No, it's the perfect blend of functionality and graphics

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I personally LOVE the interface for Time Machine and have done ever since I first saw the videos for it. It's just cool; with those windows positioned in 3D space, being able to "fly" through them and the little touches such as the stars moving towards you in the background.

I want more of this in Leopard. I want more animations. I want more transparency. I want more graphical effects. But I know it's a matter of personal taste - some people just don't like over the top graphical snaziness.

But having used Compiz/Beryl in Linux and Aero in Vista, I do! So what do you lot think; does the average Mac user yearn for more of this type of interface? Or has it crossed the line and simply become garish?

Personally I can't wait to see what developers come up with when using Core Animation. I've been programming with Windows Presentation Foundation in Vista and it makes impressive looking user interfaces a lot easier to implement than before. It's just a pity that there seems to be hardly any new applications that make use of it - Windows developers have been given such a great tool and yet are not taking advantage of it. I have a feeling that Mac developers are gonna come up with the goods though ...

I haven't had chance to start learning Core Animation in great detail yet (I've been learning Cocoa and Objective C as I've only had a Mac for 6 weeks!) but I've already got some great ideas and I can't wait to implement them. :D

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
I personally LOVE the interface for Time Machine ...

I think it's the perfect blend.. I mean the way leopard is now built, i think the graphics is just right.. between very modern, to simple.. And presonally that's the way like it. As in for visual effects, i think apple hit the nail right on the head.

It gives you view as if your going from present desktop to out of space to enter the past and present. The vidual gives you that experience where you litteraly go back in time "virtually" and recover your files... I think it's great!

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
It's fabulous.

If you're the sort of tech-savvy power user who moans about animated star-fields etc. as being silly, then you're likely to be the sort of person who backs up anyway ;) Bottom line is Time Machine makes backing-up easy, intuitive and even enjoyable for the average user.

Top marks.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
As computers become more powerful we can use that power to make them easier to use. But as Woz pointed out, thats not the case and things have become less intuitive. Reaching for the Help menu can be a common task.

I think Time Machine is a great interface that ANYONE can understand and use. Its a typical Apple interpretation. Its nothing new, but the approach is. One does not have to know much to understand how it works.

Its is a bit of a show-off? Yes, but then so is the iPhone interface and cladding laptops in aluminum.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    70 KB · Views: 78

seanneko

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
But having used Compiz/Beryl in Linux and Aero in Vista, I do!

Same here - I run Kubuntu on my desktop, and one of my favourite features of it is Compiz.

The animations are completely useless, but so cool :p Move a window around the screen and it wobbles like jelly. Close a window and it becomes engulfed by flames until it disappears. There's dozens and dozens of different ones that can be used, and more that can be downloaded I'm sure.

To be honest, I'm disappointed that Leopard still doesn't have any sort of animation when opening/closing windows. OK, maybe flames is a bit too excessive, but Vista's fade animations work well.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
The visuals don't work on my system. So I can't use the functionality yet. Hopefully there will be a patch shortly.

On my Mini, when I click the icon in the dock, it moves the screen out of the way like it's supposed to, but it then starts flickering violently, and I can't see enough to scroll to prior versions or anything.

Very odd.

BUT, if my system HDD dies, I can rebuild from Time Machine during the install, which is awesome.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
To be honest, I'm disappointed that Leopard still doesn't have any sort of animation when opening/closing windows. OK, maybe flames is a bit too excessive, but Vista's fade animations work well.

I COMPLETELY agree with you on that point mate, in fact it's something I forgot to put in my original comment. The Dock Minimise animation is a great visual clue to where your window just went so you know where it is when you need to access it again.

When you have a lot of windows on screen at once and you open a new one it's easy for it to get lost amongst the rest, especially if an application automatically opened it without your input. In Linux and Vista much needed focus is brought to the new window opening thanks to various animations. But in Mac OS it just seems really static, like there's something missing.

I mean when you open a Finder folder on the desktop there's a cool scale effect to show the new window and where it came from. Why isn't it possible to do the same for all types of windows? Are there any 3rd party apps that can do this? Even on the Dashboard there's the famous ripple effect (although that feels too over the top even for me!).

Even a simple fade would be better than nothing, although I bet Apple could come up with something new and exciting.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
I know quite a few technophobes. I know that they can get freaked out by long menus and lists of filenames, etc. Time Machine is a great visual way to grab backed up files rather than sift through a huge list of backups. For example, with System Restore, my mom had a hard time understanding exactly what it did and how to use it. With Time Machine, it makes perfect sense to her. Go back in time, get a lost file, and bring it back. I think Time Machine's UI is just perfect.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
For example, with System Restore, my mom had a hard time understanding exactly what it did and how to use it. With Time Machine, it makes perfect sense to her. Go back in time, get a lost file, and bring it back. I think Time Machine's UI is just perfect.

That's the same appeal of the iPhone, the Nintendo Wii and the DS. People who are normally easily scared away from technology suddenly finding themselves drawn towards it.

And you know what those three products have in common? They were all advertised in a way on TV that showed them (shock horror) actually being used! No need for clever, stylised, movie style adverts (read PS3) where you don't even know what's being advertised until the product name comes up at the end. These adverts showed exactly how you'd be using the products and that's why so many, non-gamers for example, that I know were doing 180's and wanted to get into gaming.

Same for the iPhone. My sister saw the iPhone adverts and then went into a store to play around with the interface herself (when she was in America), telling me how natural it felt And she was someone who only ever cared about how small a phone looked! Of course the iPhone was cool as well with all its transitions and animations, and that sounds just like Time Machine. Functional but with that added pazazz to draw people in and actually want to use a new technology, or an exisiting technology wrapped up in a nicer way.

I just wish Apple showed their other products actually being used in their TV adverts. If Windows users had seen some of the cool features of Tiger a lot of them may have switched a lot earlier. I never even knew about Expose or that Mac OS's desktop was hardware accelerated until I started reading reviews of Vista. I just assumed that Mac OS was just like every other OS and Apple never advertised in a way to tell me otherwise. Imagine if they showed all the new features of Leopard in the same way they did for the iPhone. That'd bring in a whole new set of customers ...

Retired
May 16, 2006
Once the space theme wares off a bit, they'll tone down TM in 10.6 I think...

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
The snazzy UI is the whole reason I'll be using TM and not some other backup program (SuperDuper), it actually makes backing up/restoring, a normally tedious task actually fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.