Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 1, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
spinstorm
macrumors 65816

Line In Doesn't Work With Mic?

I have a microphone headset and I can't get it to work with Skype on my macbook - only the default microphone by the webcam works!

Do I have a faulty macbook or does it not accept microphones? Thanks.
spinstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2
agent42b
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinstorm View Post
I have a microphone headset and I can't get it to work with Skype on my macbook - only the default microphone by the webcam works!

Do I have a faulty macbook or does it not accept microphones? Thanks.
I had the same issue. After installing Windows I realized that the line-in port can work quite well as a mic. As long as you're working in OSX, that port ain't gonna work with a mic. You'll have to buy an imic or a USB headset.

Basically the port can work as a line-in OR a mic-in. The soundcard can auto detect what type of signal you're inputting. At least, that's how it works in Windows. Under OSX, a mic just plain doesn't work. It's pretty obvious that apple simple has omitted this feature from OSX. It should really be fixed.

Im quite frustrated about this myself, consider a mic WORKS under windows in that port, using the very drivers that applies provides with bootcamp. weaksauce.
agent42b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3
spinstorm
macrumors 65816

I actually did a search after I posted this and saw that the input isn't powered so it doesn't work with unpowered microphones. It is stupid!

I do query your point about it working in windows... I have Vista installed and my mic doesn't work in vista either!

So either your mistaken or I do have a broken line-in!

I wish I had some way to check!
spinstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 04:14 PM   #4
agent42b
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinstorm View Post
I actually did a search after I posted this and saw that the input isn't powered so it doesn't work with unpowered microphones. It is stupid!

I do query your point about it working in windows... I have Vista installed and my mic doesn't work in vista either!

So either your mistaken or I do have a broken line-in!

I wish I had some way to check!
My deepest apologies...it turns out you're right... they DONT work under windows either ... sigh. It's still a really big design flaw imo. But... I already bought the USB adapter so you could say I've surrendered!

Last edited by agent42b; Nov 1, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
agent42b is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro