Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
According to activity monitory, MDS was using 110% of my processing speed, and MDWorker was running at around 30%. What do these programs do, and why must they suck processing speed?

UPDATE: It's spotlight reindexing. Nevermind. :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 367

shaggy.mac

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
According to activity monitory, MDS was using 110% of my processing speed, and MDWorker was running at around 30%. What do these programs do, and why must they suck processing speed?

UPDATE: It's spotlight reindexing. Nevermind. :)

Hey

I have a similar problem with the GM build of Leopard.

MDSWorker is using 110%
ATSServer is using 64%
MDS is using close to 0%

What gives? I've had Spotlight index the drive and now it wants to reindex every 2 days!

ntraft

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
What gives? I've had Spotlight index the drive and now it wants to reindex every 2 days!

Well that's not normal, and something you may want to be concerned about, but first consider: How many documents/pictures do you write/download/move per day? And even more importantly, are you often installing/uninstalling new software? As I understand it, these are the things which cause Meta Data Worker to run for long periods of time.

I don't know why Apple can't just tell the user what's going on with a little pop-up window that just has a progress bar and says, "Hey, just so you know, I'm going to go update this database now..." It would be much like Software Update. But that would make too much sense, I suppose.

FYI, if you don't use Spotlight or Dashboard you can disable them. I've never done it, but it's supposed to be easy to find it on Google or Clusty if you just search "disable spotlight os x tiger".

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hey

I have a similar problem with the GM build of Leopard.

MDSWorker is using 110%
ATSServer is using 64%
MDS is using close to 0%

Have you tried updating to 10.5.2? That fixed a hell of a lot of bugs from the original GM version.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
it would seem they havent fixed this, my cpu has just been having it, 90% usage on both cores, i've only got a 1Tb external and it's not doing nothing, it indexed the HD yesterday ( it makes a bit of a racket lol ) and it's been doing it again now,

i dont suppose theres a way for it to be turned off or to edit any preferences on when it does it's job or not is there?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 154
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.