Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Expo 2003 kicks of on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 in Paris France. Steve Jobs will be giving the keynote address at 10 a.m. CET (3 a.m. EDT), but, according to one report, there will be no live webcast of the event.

There have been surprisingly few Apple Expo specific rumors over the past few weeks. This roundup will cover both expected Expo product releases as well as a collection of "open" rumors at this time.

PowerBooks

While numerous sites have repeatedly claimed PowerBook revisions over the past few months... a few new reports have since come in from more traditionally reliable sources.

ThinkSecret reported in Mid-August that 12", 15" and 17" PowerBooks were in the pipeline, but were unable to provide specs or a definitive timeframe for the upcoming machines at that time.

Appleinsider then claimed that the prolonged PowerBook delays were due to PPC7457 supply issues, and is now reporting that those issues have been resolved. Appleinsider appears very confident that updated PowerBook G4s will be released at Apple Expo Paris -- with top speeds of 1.25GHz, 2.0 USB and side-ports. Similar specs were given by (less reliable) PowerPage but, in contrast, they feel that new PowerBooks are not likely at this Expo.

Meanwhile, our own sources claim a 15.2" screensize and the inclusion of an illuminated keyboard with (at least) the mid-range model.

At this point Apple's Powerbooks are the oldest computers in their product line with 12" and 17" Powerbooks last seeing revisions in January 2003, and 15" PowerBooks in November 2002.

Software Releases

Our own reliable reports indicated that iCal 1.5 and iSync 1.2 would be seeing releases shortly, but no timeframes were given. Meanwhile, another vague report claimed that we would see "software announcements" (one unexpected) from Apple this and next week. Unfortunately, no software releases have been seen at this point.

A release of iTunes for Windows still remains in the back of people's minds, and some recent Page 2 rumors place the iTunes for Windows release in mid-to-late October... but there are no known plans for an announcement at Apple Expo.

Panther

Early reports expected a Panther release at this year's Apple Expo, but more recent estimates place Panther's ship date into October.

Open Rumors

The mysterious iPod Peripherals are still expected to be released and will require an iPod software update to utilize the new hardware. No further details or timeframes have been provided for these items.

Bluetooth-based Apple Wireless Mice and Keyboards are essentially confirmed based on help notes and error messages embedded in Panther. Rumor sites remain in the dark about the release date for these peripherals.

While Xserve updates are certainly in the works, only MacBidouille gives possible specs with a report that the new G5 Xserves will see top speeds of only 1.8GHz.

Summary

Apple Expos have not traditionally been the launching pad for major Apple Announcements, so expectations should be modest. A number of products do appear to be in the pipeline, but the timeframe for their releases is unclear.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I'll consider it a nice Expo even if all we see are updated iApps and Wireless Keyboards/Mice.

But I do feel the Powerbooks gotta pop up soon. Not that that necessarily means Apple Expo.

Edit: The reason is I fully expect the wireless mice to be at least two button with scroll dials. I say dials not wheels because of Apple's patent filing last month. This will finally put to rest the stupid "there's only one button" complaints.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Please, around of applause for the MacRumors staff, ladies and gentlemen. For without them, I, and many others, would have no clue as to what the hell is going on with Apple.

PS. sorry for all the commas.

michael666

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
in front of a computer
This will finally put to rest the stupid "there's only one button" complaints.

If life is all about complaints putting to rest, then we should all be using Windows computers, because that will finally put to rest all those silly Mac vs. Windows debates.

I expect more from apple products than putting to rest someone's complaints.

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
powerbook upgrades are definately expected, just a matter of when... maybe apple is trying to help me get OUT of debt by not bringing on these new machines... i'm still working on my last purchases from store.apple.com :rolleyes:

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
PowerBooks

I definitely expect there to be a PowerBook/iBook announcement. Release dates, dunno. But I feel Apple will want to trumpet iBooks and PowerBooks with big loud blaring trombones and trumpets if Apple has the rabbit in its hat I think it does.

I've seen reports of Apple actively seeking vendors for Fuel Cell technology as early as early May. And there was a quote saying something to the effect that they were not interested in mandating that whatever fuel cell solution they use be made to fit into existing battery bays, but that they would redesign the portable units around them if they had viable options.

This is why I think Steve ported this as the Year of the Notebook, because I think he of course knew what he was wanting to do. Revolutionize Portables by getting rid of the ***** batteries. Apple would be the one to do it. Apple would be first.

Why not now? Why not this being part of the reason for the wait?

If Apple does announce Fuel Cell based portables this Tuesday, no matter when they actually ship, EVERYONE is going to want one. Even more Mac people would switch from Desktops to Portables, because Portables would become that much more viable. They would sell like hotcakes. In fact, how many PC portable converts do you think we'd get? Droves.

Then it WOULD be the year of the Notebook no matter how minor the MHz upgrade is.

My $5.73 worth.

ps. Apple *is* working on this technology. Period. This is not science fiction. When is inevitable. And it may be soon. Very soon.

superfoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2002
So many possibilities!

Even having eagerly anticipated the next 15.x" PowerBook, the potential for this new iPod peripheral is even more exciting (for me at least.)... A slick Apple-style automotive dock for the 'Pod would seriously *rock*.

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
last i'd heard, fuel cells weren't getting much better "life" than standard battery charges... (apple claims 5-6 hours now depending on portable model).

the size that the cells would have to be to work in a powerbook or any portable device is so small that it hasn't been profitable (meaning that it hasn't been worth while compared to lithium rechargables).

but it's been close to a year since i've heard anthing else about these things... could it be done? sure. will it be done by tuesday? i give it slim to none....

my $5.74

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
and what's the deal with 15.2 again? i thought for sure we were going 15.4.. didn't dell get 15.4 screens? what's up with that?

syrreg

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
15.4" Powerbooks

Yes, Compal is building the 15.4" Powerbooks. Even if 15.2" ones are released at the Expo (which I would seriously doubt), I'd hold out for the 15.4" ones which are in the pipeline.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
w00t!! :D Apple Expo Paris rumor roundup!! :D

here's hoping for an Al 15" PowerBook. :)

and now people think that if the next PBs aren't 15.4", the next ones after that will be?!! what!! there's no way i'm waiting any longer!! it's either new 15" Al PB on Tuesday, or second hand 1GHz TiBook!:mad:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
fuel cells

Originally posted by shecky
interesting. can you give me the super short 3 scentence definition of a fuel cell. and whats the difference between fuel cells and batteries?

A fuel cell is a kind of battery, producing electricity from a chemical reaction. The big difference is that it uses different chemicals than traditional batteries, and you can refill them instead of buying a new battery or finding an external power source to rechange.

The nice thing about the DMFC (direct methanol) cells that will be appearing in various laptops [Apple is far from alone; both Toshiba and NEC have shown prototypes] is that they don't require you to carry around hydrogen like early versions did. Instead, the hydrogen is extracted from watered-down alcohol. That means the fuel will be fairly cheap and safe.

One remaining hitch is that the airlines need to be convinced that these things aren't dangerous; this shouldn't be too hard, since some of the beverages served by those airlines are more flammable.

mad_muppett

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
UK
One shoe in....

One almost certain announcement people have over looked is the whole Euro iTunes, and Apple Stores...

One of the bigger money spinners is the iTunes store, and Apple have been beaten to online music purchase thing in Euroland already :mad:

Time to play catch up!

I'd love the laptops to be released as I'm due a new one but they would need to be imediately avaliable to put a big smile on my face...

I've read commnets about people thinking a video iPod would be not viable due to screen size, but imagine this if you will...

iPod with the screen as the whole front, which is touch sensitive / stylus operated. Full colour with iCal / basic PDA functions as an extra but playing MPEG3 & 4's in iMedia (or something similar). The screen would be about the same size as the ones in the back of airline seats..which is normally watchable, with a Bluetooth headset to listen with.

Put me at the front of the line for that one...

Unless Apple are looking for a product development staff member... allways willing to help ;)

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
But presumably with these fuel cells we'll be expected to go along to a retailer to have it topped up/replaced. Perhaps even a standard part (like AA batteries) will emerge.

Either way, someone will be making a (no doubt fairly hefty) profit from you every time you want to use your - incredibly expensive, let's not forget - computer for another few hours.

As a consumer, if offered the choice between a 5 hour rechargeable machine, and a 10 hour one I had to buy batteries for (even if they were readily available, which they won't be), I'd go for the rechargeable one.

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LOL!

G5 Powerbooks
dual G4 Powerbooks
Powerbooks with fuel cells

fui psdivgj'oiv
d kdjk
d

Sorry, just had to pick myself up off the floor from laughing so much.

PARIS WILL BE BORING!!!!

Why can't you people simply accept that there's a huge f**kup somewhere and Paris is going to be a damage limitation excerise. In fact I'm expecting SJ to stand up and say that the Dual 2GHz G5's have had to be downgraded to dual 1.8 because yield of 2's wasn't good enough.

I'm starting to get a baaaad feeling about all this :-(

e.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by esheep2001
e.

Go and take a happy pill man!

Steve doesn't DO damage control, thats someone else's job. Steve only has GOOD things to say to us all. He makes us all happy, so happy!

You see, Steve is a Visionary, a colossus striding through the barren desert of the real, transforming it with a Word into a shining oasis of joy and hope for young and old …and… </rdf>

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by lord_flash
But presumably with these fuel cells we'll be expected to go along to a retailer to have it topped up/replaced. Perhaps even a standard part (like AA batteries) will emerge.

Either way, someone will be making a (no doubt fairly hefty) profit from you every time you want to use your - incredibly expensive, let's not forget - computer for another few hours.

As a consumer, if offered the choice between a 5 hour rechargeable machine, and a 10 hour one I had to buy batteries for (even if they were readily available, which they won't be), I'd go for the rechargeable one.

No, fuel cells are just what the name implies-- cells that drink fuel. Generally they work from hydrogen or hydrocarbons.

They're non-combustion "engines", so there's no flame and limited heat but higher efficiency and cleaner emmissions.

They can be built to use a variety of fuels-- some take hydrogen directly, but carrying around a tank of hydrogen has some obvious problems... Some can run on gasoline, some on methanol. Some can actually run on ethanol which leads to the interesting solution of asking the stewardess for a mini-bottle of vodka if you need a recharge... :)

I don't think they'd build a student laptop around an ethanol fuel cell, but whatever they choose it will almost certainly be a readily available fuel. No retailer necessary.

That said, I wouldn't expect to have to worry about it as early as next week... The technology is too new to gamble on yet-- it's a revolutionary tech not an evolutionary one and we'll doubtless be hearing rumors of protos long before we see product.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Re: One shoe in....

Originally posted by mad_muppett
One almost certain announcement people have over looked is the whole Euro iTunes, and Apple Stores...

One of the bigger money spinners is the iTunes store, and Apple have been beaten to online music purchase thing in Euroland already :mad:

Time to play catch up!

iPod with the screen as the whole front, which is touch sensitive / stylus operated. Full colour with iCal / basic PDA functions as an extra but playing MPEG3 & 4's in iMedia (or something similar). The screen would be about the same size as the ones in the back of airline seats..which is normally watchable, with a Bluetooth headset to listen with.

Euro iTunes-- you've got my vote with that one. A Paris announcement that isn't being webcast? A euro-centric announcment sounds about right...

You left one key feature out of your iPod dreams-- plug in an iSight for a portable video recorder! That was my first thought when I saw a small firewire camera with no integrated display and no other immediate use beyond video chat...

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by esheep2001
LOL!

G5 Powerbooks
dual G4 Powerbooks
Powerbooks with fuel cells

fui psdivgj'oiv
d kdjk
d

Sorry, just had to pick myself up off the floor from laughing so much.

PARIS WILL BE BORING!!!!

Why can't you people simply accept that there's a huge f**kup somewhere and Paris is going to be a damage limitation excerise. In fact I'm expecting SJ to stand up and say that the Dual 2GHz G5's have had to be downgraded to dual 1.8 because yield of 2's wasn't good enough.

e.

Boy are you down today!!
Chill, have a joint.

ePig2003

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.