Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:02 AM   #1
nix.hanno
macrumors newbie

How to perform a clean Leopard install using the upgrade DVD

Hi,

I'm so annoyed regarding the broken Entourage <-> Exchange SSL root cert situation that I feel I must let others know of the following...

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade DVD (hold 'c' while booting).
2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).
3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).
4. Now go back to (almost) the initial screen.
5. Notice the "Continue" button is no longer grayed out...
6. Install Leopard while drinking a beer.
nix.hanno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2
overcast
macrumors 6502a

I love you!
overcast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
smellydwarf
macrumors newbie

You are god of the apples

I've been working at this problem for well over an hour. Right when I thought I was the only person on the internet to have this problem I saw your post three pages in on google. I took at a look and with some skepticism tried it. IT WORKED! You are the only person I saw EVER mention having the continue button grayed out on an installation of Leopard. Thank you so much for saving me from three more nights of hell.

this is his fiance:
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! im so glad that we finally got through that horrible problem as i am a very impatient person and ive been waiting for my ipod touch to work on this for days now and im so happy thank you
smellydwarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:34 PM   #4
heshan
macrumors newbie

Many Many Thanks

i have a work macbook pro, and am new to apple, i use windows mainly.

anyhoo, tried to upgrade thinking the upgrade DVD was a clean install DVD (like the windows non-upgrade disks)

even with 10.4.11 mac osx, it said that i didn't have an installation of 10.4

i then couldnt boot into 10.4.11 eh?????
re tried upgrade - failed
tried the installation disks with the macbook - they didnt work now.
apparently, the disks are only appropriate for the version the macbook was when purchased (10.4.6 in this case)

then saw your post
et voila, installation is proceeding , its midnight, and itll take another 53 mins, i'm off to bed, will finish in the am.

thanks
again

heshan

heshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:49 PM   #5
iCeFuSiOn
macrumors 6502a

Nice trick, thanks for that -- next time I won't need to install Tiger first to get my Leopard DVD to let me do a clean install. :P
8 GB iPod touch
iCeFuSiOn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:29 AM   #6
Neil321
macrumors 68040

To all the above why not wait until 10.5.2 is out then upgrade to leopard??
Old Aug 3, 2008, 04:49 PM   #7
macmommainks
macrumors newbie

clean install

Will this method work on a system that is not a blank/formatted hard drive? I'm assuming clean install means that if the system is not blank it will be whipped clean (meaning losing/erasing all current files, apps, etc) as the new system is installed. Is this assumption correct?

Jen
macmommainks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:12 PM   #8
The Ayatollah
macrumors newbie

This method is probably very successful given that no one seems to be having problems with it. However, whenever I click to install from the Drop-in DVD, I get a folder with a question mark on it.

That would normally indicate a hard drive issue but I don't think that is the case in my situation. Of course, my basis for assuming this is that I erased Tiger and tried to install Leopard using a restore disk (see also: naive).

Moral of the story: get help or buy another Leopard disk.
The Ayatollah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:15 AM   #9
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to KingYaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ayatollah View Post
This method is probably very successful given that no one seems to be having problems with it. However, whenever I click to install from the Drop-in DVD, I get a folder with a question mark on it.

That would normally indicate a hard drive issue but I don't think that is the case in my situation. Of course, my basis for assuming this is that I erased Tiger and tried to install Leopard using a restore disk (see also: naive).

Check your system preferences and see if your start up drive is not highlighted. It ought to look similar to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	250
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	133081  
Old Mar 11, 2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Lershac
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lershac Send a message via Yahoo to Lershac
Thank you

I was about to have to get off my ass and go buy a DL-DVDR so I could do this, and now I can continue to be a lazy mofo. So the fat in my body sings your praises.
Lershac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:42 AM   #11
angemon89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lershac View Post
I was about to have to get off my ass and go buy a DL-DVDR so I could do this, and now I can continue to be a lazy mofo. So the fat in my body sings your praises.
lol

This is an excellent trick and pretty much renders the whole point of the upgrade DVD useless, making it exactly like the full retail install disc.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:50 PM   #12
axia95351
macrumors newbie

leopard install........

hi. my name is sergio,. Modesto, CA I have mac Ibook tiger 10.3.9 I need to upgrade to use new software for recording,.. logic express 8. ( ?) can I perform a leopard install on my labtop.
axia95351 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:31 PM   #13
khalilamar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ayatollah View Post

--

Hi,

Please open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and check the info at the bottom-right corner; The Partition Map Scheme.
for Intel Mac, it must be GUID, for PPC Mac it must be Apple Partition Map.
MBR is not an option if you want to start up Mac System.

Click the 'Partition' Tab above, create 1 partition ( or the # you want )
then click 'Options' at the bottom, and select GUID or Apple Partition Map.

Apply and quit Disk Utility, you will be taken back to the Installer.
install with the trick described above.

Thanks
khalilamar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:24 PM   #14
Denarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalilamar View Post
--

Hi,

Please open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and check the info at the bottom-right corner; The Partition Map Scheme.
for Intel Mac, it must be GUID, for PPC Mac it must be Apple Partition Map.
MBR is not an option if you want to start up Mac System.

Click the 'Partition' Tab above, create 1 partition ( or the # you want )
then click 'Options' at the bottom, and select GUID or Apple Partition Map.

Apply and quit Disk Utility, you will be taken back to the Installer.
install with the trick described above.

Thanks
I suspect he probably just didn't know about holding down the C key, but then one would hope he's sussed that after a year and 3 months.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Stephen Dowling
macrumors regular

I am extremely grateful for this. I'm fixing a friends PowerBook G4 and I was beginning to think I'd have to take the machine back un-fixed.

Thank You,

Stephen.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:28 PM   #16
bailey68
macrumors newbie

Hi, i know this an old thread, but i have this problem now. I don't get the option of destination to install it. just a blank box.
I'm on macbook pro 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix.hanno View Post
Hi,

I'm so annoyed regarding the broken Entourage <-> Exchange SSL root cert situation that I feel I must let others know of the following...

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).
3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).

Last edited by bailey68; May 7, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
bailey68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:29 PM   #17
Lershac
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lershac Send a message via Yahoo to Lershac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey68 View Post
Hi, i know this an old thread, but i have this problem now. I don't get the option of destination to install it. just a blank box.
I'm on macbook pro 10.4.11
Your disk needs to be set up using disk utility...
Lershac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Niekolaas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix.hanno View Post
Hi,

Ive tried this with a Snow Leopard upgrade disc but is doesnt work. Should it work or am I doing something wrong? It keeps giving me te message that i need a 10.5 version before I can install this software.. U know another way of doign this?
Niekolaas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X